Railroad Forums 

• LAL route description and siding locations

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#487092  by CSX New York

Hey all,

I've been doing some research lately regarding the LAL for a future train simulator project (whether that project is done on MSTS, the new Kuju Rail Simulator, or some other next-gen sim is still up in the air). Through a couple of sites and LAL's own site, I've been able to match up most of the trackage I've seen on aerial views with a specific customer on the line. However, I'm stumped regarding the team tracks in both Lakeville and Avon. I can't recall seeing anything that resembled a team track when I was in both locations a few months back, nor can I find anything on the aerials. Can anyone shed some light on the situation? TIA.

#487144  by Luther Brefo

I'll give it a shot.

Starting from the south end of the line working north,

There are two stubs at the end of the line, these two stubs are storage tracks.

I am sure you can identify the ADM stubs. There is a runaround that leads to the old engine house. There are two tracks going into the engine house with switch in the middle of the runaround providing access to these two tracks.

North of this, there is Sweetener's Plus with two stubs and a "run-through" track.

Here we see the lead to the new five track engine terminal and looking a little further north we see the five track yard. Track five in the yard is effectively the Lakeville Team track when needed for that function. Transload can occur almost anywhere at the Lakeville facility.

We proceed up the hill a little bit and come across Conesus Lake Junction where we see the old main (now Branch) to the Lakeville PACMA.

Into the woods we go north by "southwest-ish" through some beautiful scenery. Look above you as you round the first real curve and there is I-390.

A little further and Cross Pole Bridge Road above grade. Swing south a little more and swoop around another curve northbound this time. We blow the crossing for Papermill Road and to the west of the mainline we see a small stub. This stub is occasionally used for loading logs.

Keep on northbound, blow for the crossing at Littleville Road, and the for Darby road, and again for Jones Lane, and as we near downtown Avon, more crossing, keep in mind, we're coming downgrade so set some air or use the dynamics if you have them. Try a little bit of blended braking.

Don't forget to blow for North Littleville Road, or Linden Street. You don't have to blow for Spring Street though because we're on the bridge.

As we near main street, we can see where the old MOW siding used to start and head North. The switch was pulled out last summer though.

We stop just before Main Street in Avon (US20/RT. 5) and wait for the gates to come down. Looking southwest, we see the lead to Kraft and coming north off this lead we see the stubs that used to service the King Cole Bean and Avon Feed. The Kraft lead splits into two stubs at the Kraft plant.

A little further north, we are presented with Avon Yard. Three tracks make up the bulk of the yard body and then there is the lead that keeps running north many car lengths and connects with the mainline north of the Barilla switch.

And as we continue north out of the yard, looking to the west and you'll see construction in progress of an addition to Avon Yard. The switch for this expansion is just sound of the Aldon Corp drive way, with the Barilla switch just north of the Aldon Corp driveway. The Barilla yard complex consists of three tracks (IIRC). Hey look at that, we're back on the main and now we're looking at the construction of the second switch for Howlett's farm, the stub is becoming a full siding. This is on the east side of the main by the way.

Highball North. Don't forget to blow for the private crossings and Meadowood Road.

Now we're coming by Golah road, blow for the crossing and now we're on the bridge across the creek.

Between here and there the New York Central Peanut Line used to come through here (Golah).

Looking northbound, we see where the Lehigh Valley used to fly over...a somber sight indeed.

Fear not, we're coming across Route 251 and to our East is the Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad Museum. There is a switch coming off the main leading into their yard lead. If you'd like to see more of the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum, I'd encourage a visit to their website http://www.rgvrrm.org or stop in a work day or during a special event.

More crossings ahead like Martin Road and East River Road, we go under I-90, and our next stub leads to RG&E. Don't forget to blow for Lehigh Station Road then we blow for Bailey Road.

We round the Conrail Extreme Curves (just a name for these tight curves that I like to use because Conrail felt it was a good idea and maybe it was but that is a discussion for another day).

If we look south, we'll head to onto the branch to Matthews and Fields Lumber and High Point Mills ( about three miles that way)

But today we'll continue to the interchange at Genesee Junction (three tracks).

Before we get there though, we'll come across the Genesee Reserve Supply siding. south of the main as we head west into the Junction.

Any questions, please ask.
Last edited by Luther Brefo on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#487152  by Luther Brefo

Also Microsoft is supposed to be creating/releasing version 2 of their Train Simulator (the first time around it was done with Kuju) but this time it is all in-house work and is supposed to be siginificantly better than it was last time.

#487200  by CSX New York

Hi Luther,

That was an excellent description of the route. I didn't know about the completion of the Howlett siding, the presence of the logging spur off Papermill Road, or the removal of the switch to the Avon MOW siding; I'll make changes in my marker file (coordinate entries that make markers in the Route Editor) to reflect all three. The use of Lakeville Yard track 5 as the team track makes sense, given it's close proximity to the yard "driveway", if you will. I assume Avon Yard track 3 (easternmost track) is used for the same purpose. The description about the former engine house also explains the track that seemingly leads nowhere.

A couple of questions though: on aerials, I can see at least three tracks leading from the LAL mainline to two businesses on both sides of Sweeteners Boulevard. One of these is Sweeteners Plus, but what's the other one? I have a hunch that it's the bulk transfer facility, but that's only my guess. I'm also trying to find the run-through track you mentioned, but with no avail.

Another question I have is regarding the spur south of Commerce Drive in Henrietta. On aerials, the spur looks to be in rough shape, but a business midway down the street (J. MacKenzie) notes on their site that they use rail service, so I assume that the spur is still in service. East of that, I can't tell from aerials how much of the spur is still used.

#487219  by Luther Brefo

Thank you. I just realized that I did forget some of them as you pointed out above.

In Avon, it is possible to use track 3 as such however, Lakeville is a stone's throw away if you know what I mean. The railroad would probably suggest that the loading occur at Lakeville due to the lack of constraints found by track three in Avon.

The two tracks south of Sweeteners that veer of to the west are ADM.

The cluster of tracks leading Northeast that begin by Sweeteners Plus lead to the new Engine terminal/shops. There are five stubs there with three going in doors two to the shop floor and one to the road engine bay. One of the remaining stubs ends at the vehicle door and it is this stub that is used to store wheelsets and locomotive trucks. The last stub beside the building is used to store locomotives and MOW cars.

IIRC, the J. Mac cluster of stubs have not been in use for a long time now (since before the LA&L owned that trackage) but there are four stubs coming off of a lead that tracks back to about 3/5 north of the distance between Bailey Road and the beginning of the Conrail Extreme Curves. The lead to these four stubs is used by the LA&L at times but I they rarely if ever go behind the gate.ri

Look here ( http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... =addr&om=1 ) for detailed images of that area.

Also on the LV Branch towards Matthews and Fields/High Point Mills, there is a small remnant of the stub that used to run to Golden State Foods ( a food distributor), this customer stop using rail service shortly after the LA&L took over that territory. The stub is in place up to the drive way to the warehouse. The right of way beyond that is intact. And that would be here ( http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... =addr&om=1 )

And this image here will hopefully explain the end of the line with the four ADM stubs (two for storage) and the runaround and the old engine terminal... The northern ADM storage track is also used for unloading fertilizer when the season comes around.

CSX New York wrote:Hi Luther,

That was an excellent description of the route. I didn't know about the completion of the Howlett siding, the presence of the logging spur off Papermill Road, or the removal of the switch to the Avon MOW siding; I'll make changes in my marker file (coordinate entries that make markers in the Route Editor) to reflect all three. The use of Lakeville Yard track 5 as the team track makes sense, given it's close proximity to the yard "driveway", if you will. I assume Avon Yard track 3 (easternmost track) is used for the same purpose. The description about the former engine house also explains the track that seemingly leads nowhere.

A couple of questions though: on aerials, I can see at least three tracks leading from the LAL mainline to two businesses on both sides of Sweeteners Boulevard. One of these is Sweeteners Plus, but what's the other one? I have a hunch that it's the bulk transfer facility, but that's only my guess. I'm also trying to find the run-through track you mentioned, but with no avail.

Another question I have is regarding the spur south of Commerce Drive in Henrietta. On aerials, the spur looks to be in rough shape, but a business midway down the street (J. MacKenzie) notes on their site that they use rail service, so I assume that the spur is still in service. East of that, I can't tell from aerials how much of the spur is still used.

#487229  by CSX New York

Hi Luther,

That definitely clears up some confusion I had over the southern end of the route. However, when I said "on both sides of Sweeteners Blvd.", I meant the two industries west of the main track sandwiching the eastern end of Sweeteners Blvd. as shown in this 1994 aerial of Lakeville (apologies for any confusion). There are two facilities located directly on the eastern end of Sweeteners: one has a stub coming off the west side of the main north of the southern switch to the yard and continuing south to what looks like the yard driveway, while the other has a stub coming off the west side of the main well south of Sweeteners Blvd. and proceeding north to a sprawling building that has its northern end on Sweeteners Blvd.

In the 1994 aerial, it looks like there is one stub serving the business on the north side of Sweeteners Blvd. and two serving the one south of it; in the 2005 NYS GIS aerial (unfortunately, there's no way to directly link to it), it looks like there are two stubs serving the northern business and one, maybe two, serving the southern one. To be honest, I'm unsure which one is Sweeteners Plus and which one is the bulk transfer facility (one of these must be the facility based on the LAL's website).

#487291  by Luther Brefo

That is Sweeteners Plus. :)

The building in the Northeast corner of the that view is the engine terminal but that white linear structure is Sweeteners Plus.

The small building just northwest of the Sweeteners Plus Building is their truck repair facility.

This is looking south:

The tank car is sitting on the track through the building. The large door on the left side of the building there is for hoppers generally. (one car spot inside the building and one spot outside the building that we cannot see in this view but the outside spot is between where you see the white pickup truck and the end of the building coming north.

I have a track plan of that online somewhere. I just have to find and post it for the whole of Lakeville.

#487330  by railwatcher

I took a good look at the stubs that enter the Commerce Dr./Cook Rd. Comercial centers. It appears that the stub off of the Lehigh line ends at Cook Dr. but had gone past GSF to the next building at one time. GSF is the distributor for McDonalds Corp. Also noted the other stub off of the main went along the south ends of all of those commercial buildings. This looks like it is still intact, are they? Is there potential for shipping in and out of there?

Greg

#487430  by Mike Walsh

the south switch for howletts was cut in a few weeks ago, and trains were running the day after it was cut in. Looking good!

#487456  by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:I took a good look at the stubs that enter the Commerce Dr./Cook Rd. Comercial centers. It appears that the stub off of the Lehigh line ends at Cook Dr. but had gone past GSF to the next building at one time. GSF is the distributor for McDonalds Corp. Also noted the other stub off of the main went along the south ends of all of those commercial buildings. This looks like it is still intact, are they? Is there potential for shipping in and out of there?

Greg
The stub to Golden State Food does end just short of the road crossing (Cook Drive).

The four stubs off the main between Bailey and the CECs(Conrail Extreme Curves) are intact but still very much overgrown. The industry (not a customer) at the apex of the curve as the leads to the stub curve east has a locked gate in place. The four stubs could be put back into use if an industry in that area did decide to ship or receive by rail. So yes there is potential but the right industry has yet to move in. I personally hope that Golden State Food decides to renew a rail contract as increased traffic can only help the railroad.

Also Frontier in Henrietta used to have a stub in place years back but this stub and the switch that used to tie it into the branch(LV) have since been removed. The switch used to be at almost the center of this view. I believe this customer also disappeared in the Conrail era prior to LA&L ownership of this portion of the line.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... =addr&om=1
Last edited by Luther Brefo on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

#487498  by CSX New York

Ah ok, that clears up a lot of questions I have about the Lakeville area and about the "Commerce Drive cluster". Only question I have left is where the bulk transfer facility in Lakeville is located. From what it sounds like, the facility is either part of Sweeteners Plus or somewhere that I haven't quite figured out. It's listed on the official LAL site as having a Sweeteners Blvd. address, but other than the Sweeteners buildings, I don't see where it could be.

#487645  by Luther Brefo

For the bulk/transload, the cars can be spotted either on track five in the yard or on the northern end of the stub closest to the main into the Sweetener's Hopper unload portion of the whole Sweetener's complex, there is some space for a car and a truck beside it to load/unload.

#494053  by dj_paige

Thanks to all this great information, I headed out on the morning of Wed., Jan 16 2008 to railfan the LAL. I caught the train at Avon (I think I missed him by 5 minutes at Lakeville) and followed him north to the Genesee River crossing.

I have created an album of photos on Flickr, which you can view. The first photo is kinda fuzzy, but the rest are not. In one photo, I was playing in Photoshop and somehow the engines wound up with green stripes -- it was an accident, honest! Too bad the sun never came out the entire time.

All photos have captions and are geo-tagged. The best way to view the collection is to click on "View as Slideshow"; of course you can click on individual photos as well.

#494395  by railwatcher

Way too early for St. Patricks day! :wink: