Railroad Forums 

• DFT operations

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#455662  by NS59

I know this train can run basically any day at anytime but I was wondering if any rough pattern of its operation has been noticed. I hope to head to Salamanca on Monday and catch the BP & then to Olean to see if anything is moving.

Thanks.

#455869  by pugsley720

Seems to be running Mon through Thursday, occasionally on Friday. Passes CP Emporium mid-afternoon, returning about 2 hours later. Usually is two to four cars of general freight plus the loads/empties from the asphalt plant at Turtlepoint. Often half of the stone for Turtlepoint will be left on the storage track at CP Emporium for pick up by the next day's train, although with more power available now, they may try to take all 30 loads over the hill at once.

#456356  by Smtimko

Recent train with four units and 37 cars stalled on the hill and had to double.

SMT

#457616  by Anchorman

DFT=Driftwood. MP 139 on the Buffalo Line. The WNYP needs all the power they can get since they're not too efficient going over the hill with what they have.

#457942  by Luther Brefo

Otto Vondrak wrote:DFT?
New symbols...
DFT -- Driftwood Turn
ZYT -- Hornell Turn
397/398 -- Olean-Meadville (coming soon)
ME-1 Meadville local
FO-1 Falconer local
OL-1 Olean local
OL-2 Olean Yard

#458740  by thebigham

From Mark at the Buffalo Line Yahoo group:

sunday the WNY&P called a DFT at 8 am to go to N Driftwood
and pick up the interchange from NS.

We intercepted the light power move at Turtlepoint

Power going south was all Alco's 636, 430, 431, 421, 630
to my knowledge, first move with 5 alco's on the WNYP buffalo
line trackage.

DFT was through Emporium at 12:22 pm and arrived at N Driftwood at
1:05 pm

Northbound they left N Driftwood at 2:14 pm, with 35 cars!
they set off 28 loads of stone
and departed Turtlepoint at 5:10 pm with 7 cars for Olean

the 5 alco's took all 35 cars over Keating Summit in a blaze of
fall foliage, alco smoke, and sunny skies, and a sound that was
truly unbelievable!

mark

#474333  by EMTRailfan

New symbols...
DFT -- Driftwood Turn
ZYT -- Hornell Turn
397/398 -- Olean-Meadville (coming soon)
ME-1 Meadville local
FO-1 Falconer local
OL-1 Olean local
OL-2 Olean Yard
I've seen the ZYT and DFT posted as DFT-(date)/ZYT-(date)
Just wondering if the locals are the same way, or if they are XX-1 as posted above. Also, for 397/398, which way is which, and is it 397-(date) too? Planning another ME-Rouseville chase in the snowy future.
 #573362  by kf7strng

DFT-29 was spotted headed south to North Driftwood, to interchange with NS H4W. I caught it at the sterling run crossing somewhere around 7:50-8PM. No pictures of it that night. Power was HLCX 6320(Lead), and 2nd unit was HLCX 6510. I observed grain cars, stone Hoppers, and empty coal? hoppers (brown/yellow, with LVRR reporting marks). Don't remember anthing else of it. I tried to get an oncoming shot of it with my cellphone, but they were running full lights, and a cellphone ISN'T the best thing for taking night shots, or shots with poor conditions. Overheard crews communicating with the dispatcher that they would tie the train up @ Emporium Hardwoods, and shut the units down, as there will be no re-crew unitl MONDAY. I observed the train, empty LVRR hoppers removed,added stone hoppers today sitting @ Emporium hardwoods @ around 10:15 this morning (8-30-08), right where the crews were supposed to leave it.

Anyone that's able to get down there, and photograph it, please do.