Railroad Forums 

• A shortline or a regional railroad?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#367518  by railwatcher

Ok, we have referred to the WNYP as a shortline since it's inception. First it was Hornell to Meadeville, then added an additional trackage on the Meadeville end for another 40+ miles and now we see adding the Buffalo Line from Buffalo to Driftwood. So the question is......how many miles does it take to make it regional? This railroad covers WNY and NW PA very well so do we now refer to it as regional? Who makes this call?

Greg

#367528  by Luther Brefo

I believe there are some financial implications as well aside from the total route miles.

I forget the numbers but the railroad must also make a certain amount of money per fiscal year to rank as a regional.

#367530  by Luther Brefo

The Board’s regulations divide railroads into three classes based on annual carrier
operating revenues. Class I railroads are those with annual carrier operating revenues of
$250 million or more (in 1991 dollars); Class II railroads are those with annual carrier operating
revenues of more than $20 million but less than $250 million (in 1991 dollars); and Class III
railroads are those with annual carrier operating revenues of $20 million or less (in 1991 dollars).

From the Surface Transportation Board

#367680  by Matt K Dettman

Annual operating revenues:
A Class 1 railroad earns more than $267 million.
A Class 2 earns less than $267 million but more than $21 million.
And a Class 3 earns $21 million or less.
From the Association of American Railroads
As quoted by Roy Blanchard in June 2006 issue of Trains, p 31.

#367992  by railwatcher

Interesting.... the fact that they use verbage that sounds to be based upon milege or area coverage and turn it to $$$ and cents. Seems to take alot of dollars to jump over the next hurdle.

Thanks for the answers.