Railroad Forums 

• Where is Mortimer Jct. on the LAL?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#232003  by TB Diamond

Thank you for the info. As I said, it has been a long time since I traversed Jefferson Road (just over 27 years). Don't recall if there was a Firestone store at that location back in those days or not. Otto also mentioned " Just a switch in the woods". He was no doubt being metaphorical, but twenty-seven years ago the location was a cleared field, of this I am sure. The photo shows buildings that I sure do not remember being there years ago.

#233451  by 8222

OK, I guess we now know where the name for the Red Creek Inn came from. All you RIT grads should be somewhat familiar with the Red Creek (ha!). By the way, their property butted up against the EL and when it was torn out, the Red Creek expanded their parking and added the volleyball courts over the old ROW. Not a bad place for a cold one, women in shorts and the west shore...

#233462  by clearblock

[quote="RussNelson"]No, I wasn't familiar. From the aerial photos, it appears as if the LV doesn't go south of I90. Seems to stop somewhere around Henrietta Station: quote]

Yes, it ends about half way between Lehigh Station Road and I-90, just south of Matthews & Fields Lumber Co. which is on the south side of Lehigh Station Road.

#233490  by RussNelson

Thanks, clearblock. And at Mortimer junction the line seems not to cross the old NYC water level route, right? Instead it's been realigned to merge into it. If so, that explains why the E-L got realigned to merge into the LV south of Mortimer. No wonder this one junction has its own topic!

#233495  by scottychaos

RussNelson wrote:Thanks, clearblock. And at Mortimer junction the line seems not to cross the old NYC water level route, right? Instead it's been realigned to merge into it. If so, that explains why the E-L got realigned to merge into the LV south of Mortimer. No wonder this one junction has its own topic!
correct, it does not cross.
(and its the NYC West Shore, not the "Water Level Route", which would technically be the NYC mainline which runs further north, through downtown Rochester.)

The LAL does not cross CSX at grade at all, there is no diamond.
It runs parallel to the West Shore, to the south,
then through Genesee Junction (no diamonds there anymore either)
then curves off to the south to merge with the Rochester & Southern.
reverse direction.
then the R&S crosses under CSX and heads north to Brooks ave yard.

Scot

#233520  by Otto Vondrak

Red Creek had turned into a dumpy place when I came to RIT in 1995... it became an extension of MacGregor's I think in 1998 or so... which is great because their outdoor beer garden butts up to the West Shore/LAL tracks!

-otto-
 #233599  by TB Diamond

Otto:
You were perfectly clear. There simply have been too many changes in that particular area for this old guy to assimilate readily. Thanks to all for the updates.

#234290  by clearblock

RussNelson wrote:Thanks, clearblock. And at Mortimer junction the line seems not to cross the old NYC water level route, right? Instead it's been realigned to merge into it. If so, that explains why the E-L got realigned to merge into the LV south of Mortimer. No wonder this one junction has its own topic!
That is correct. As TB Diamond reported in his post on 3/31, the crossing of the West Shore by the former LV and EL tracks was removed in the '80s eliminating the former "junction". It was then an interlocking for a passing siding from Mortimer to Genesee Junction until about 1990 when the switch at Mortimer was removed and the LA&L track parallels the West Shore from Mortimer to a connection at Genesee Junction.

The result of all this is that two grade crossings of Jefferson Rd were replaced by one, eliminating the former EL ROW in that area. Then, the interlocking was eventually eliminated and the LA&L runs all the way to Genesee Junction independent of CSX.
 #1412050  by GOLDEN-ARM

resurrecting this old dead post. mortimer jct on the lvrr nyc west shore, erie railroad in the upper left.

LV Mortimer Jct, 1950.jpg
LV Mortimer Jct, 1950.jpg (64.75 KiB) Viewed 6144 times