• Various uses for locomotives and their components

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by TerryC

Since I model a regional rail line I am always thinking of ways to save money.
I was thinking, that maybe a locomotive's frame with the trucks and possibly the fuel tank could be used as a freight car. If you need a tank car, a tank is put on the frame and possibly use the fuel tank as a extension of the add on tank for greater capacity. If there is a need for a coal car, put uprising sides on the frame to load the coal in. To make it a fish bellied rotary hopper, (I do not know if this possible) you use the fuel tank as a extra place to load the coal. To make a lumber car, verticle ends could be fastened to the frame... and so on forth. If there are old(er) locomotive trucks that you can not use since I do not think it is possible mount Flexicoil trucks under a SD70M-2 or GSC trucks under a ES40DC; I thought of other uses. How about mounting Flexicoil trucks under a box car or GSC trucks under a coal hopper. If there are AAR trucks* or blombergs to be used they could be placed under a flat car or tank car. Would it be possible to make a Cabbage** into a full blown box car instead of a combonation box car and cab car?
* http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/ge/u36/cr2971cf.jpg
** http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=100813
keep searching keep finding
  by Komachi

Terry,

I must say that is at once the most interesting, intreaguing and bizzare item you've ever posted here, I'm waiting for Rod Serling to pop up...

(Rod Serling voice) Submitted for your approval, one TerryC, a regular poster on a message board for railroad enthusiests. Known for his extensive inquiries into the inner workings of locomotives, railroad practices, hypothetical modifications to railroad equipment and an unhealthy obcession with RV air conditioners. Is he just a dreamer or a misunderstood mechanical genious? A question only to be answered in, the Railroad.net zone.

(Que "Twilight Zone" theme)

Why use old locomotive frames as the basis? Why not be a pioneering railroad with an excelent group of engineers (mechanical-type) who have designed a truely modular freight car? Design a frame that can receive interchangable bits that would best contain the various cargo that your railroad would be hauling. Now that would be railroading in the 21st century.

Although, you do realize that your railroad could pick up the various rolling stock it needs during times when other railroads and equipment leasing firms have surplus stock they would otherwise be scrapping. So, you wouldn't have to resort to using locomotives.

Unless you feel so inclined, it's your railroad.

by TerryC

Komachi, I really appreciate the fact that you have a constructive, not destructive response. I know that freight cars could be purchased, but they might be pricey and older than a locomotive. You have a rusty, (graphittied), old(er) boxcar in a paint scheme that is not yours. You have a twenty year old CSX B36-7 (forgive me for killing a tired -7) that you purchase for its scrap value. I do not know what that is; $10,000 -$15,000? Then you put box car parts on the Frame (ends, doors, entire body) and you scrap the rest of the locomotive; ie cab, long hood, and prime mover. If these are not RV air conditioners http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=107211 what are they?

by Aji-tater

In the model world that will work fine. In real life, by the time you figure material and labor it would be cheaper to just buy a boxcar. Locos have different brake systems, safety appliances such as steps would probably have to be modified. Depending on the height of the frame you might wind up with a boxcar that would be too high or low for customer's loading docks. You would have to build a floor etc. It might be physically possible with a LOT of time, effort and money. But everything added up, you'd be better off to parts out the loco, scrap the rest, and take the money and buy a boxcar. You'd have money left over.

by TerryC

Thank you Aji-tater for typing a polite, but firm answer filled post. Any way, back to one of my original questions. Is it possible to put modified locomotive trucks under a freight car?

keep asking keep learning
  by Komachi

Terry,

I appreciate the fact that you have a sense of humor, I thought I was pushing it with that "Twilight Zone" parody there...

Anyway,

To answer your question....

Hypothetically: How tallented are your shop forces? If they can do anything, then Locomotive trucks under freight cars shouldn't be a big task.

Realistically: How good are your modeling skills? If you can figure out how to mount them under your models, go for it.

BTW,

GEs and EMDs are a dime a dozen, carve up as many as you wish for your fleet. Just don't mess with ALCo., Fairbanks-Morse or Baldwins.

by TerryC

Quite frankly Komachi all I know about the "Twilight Zone" is that I thought it was the same as the "Dead Zone." I watch mostly Star Trek "The Next Generation" and Star Trek "Deep Space Nine" Unless you say or do something the accurate way I am hard to be insulted or angry.

(Montgomery Scott's voice) I'M GIVIN' YOU ALL SHE'S GOT CAPTIN (ENGINEER)!! SHE WON'T GO ANY FASTER!!

Keep Searching Keep Finding
Last edited by TerryC on Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Komachi

Terry,

(Capt. Picard voice) Indeed.

So, have you figured out who the first victim(s) will be for this experiment? Maybe some U30C/C30-7s? B23-7s are cheap and plentiful, you can get a whole bunch o' Ex-Conrail units for little or nothing.

I must say, your imagination is limitless, and your railraod is going to be one of the most interesting layouts ever to exist. Primer colored (or have you chosen a new paint scheme?) carbody units hauling around locomotive carcases with modular freight car components attached. If you get your layout built and never publish photos, I will be severely dissapointed... I have to see your ideas in motion.

Believe me, if there was an award for originality, it would be yours. (Yes, I can hear the calls to not encourage him, but some of this stuff truely is interesting.)

(Picard voice) Picard, er, Komachi, out.

by ANDY117

im speechless... Congratulations Terry, you just posted the most Random thing in the history of this board. [claps hands]. There's no sarcastic remark that i can thikn of that can describe what you just did to my poor ADD riddled brain. i think you gave the gerbil a freakin heart attack with that idea..

by ANDY117

yes, yes it was....my poor brain...

by RdHseRat

With regards to modular cars, believe that you will find that was done on the White Pass & Yukon many years ago. The container body could be lifted off the frame and placed on a barge or the reverse. This was long before container traffic was the "rage" in the lower 48.

With regard to "modification" of locomotives, well on your railroad that may be the thing to do. However, in real life, why spend all the time and money for a "vehicle" that can only be used on your own property. Will not be accepted in interchange.

Scrap the locomotive, then buy or lease a freight car. Freight cars are a great deal cheaper than any modification. Locomotive truck components are more expensive that freight car components. Locomotive truck frames (less tm's and gears) weigh more than do freight car frames more weight to haul, less cargo to be carried.

by TerryC

Thanks for your imput Komachi, RdHseRat, and ANDY117. Forgive me for being stuborn, but if you put a non removable box car body on a C39-8 frame and trucks why would it not be interchanged? All you would have is a 70' 8" box car that is a bit shorter in height, not a normal box car length, and is unique. The first victim to convert into a boxcar is a GP40. (Worf's voice) "It took me hours to find this and kill it. I am not going to let its sacrifice be in vain." I got a BQ23-7 frame in a box at a train show that I did not know about. The BQ23-7 I knew about was a Bachman shell with a Kato? frame, trucks, and moter. I also got a GP40 shell in Chicago Burlington and Quincy paint for free. I haphazardly but the shell on the frame and ran it around the track at home. I let it hit a few Hot Wheels and then it started to act up. The locomotive gained speed and then died. It coasted making a loud buzzing and just bumped the Dodge Charger I had on the track. All the powered wheels roll freely, but one of the unpowered wheels will not turn.

1929th member to join this forum

by RdHseRat

TerryC

Non-standard components would make it difficult. If it were offered in interchange, I would have my carmen go over it with a fine tooth comb. Then I would make sure that an FRA inspector looked at it. Then I would call the AAR. The reason, liability. (In real life, you would need very deep pockets!)

If I were forced to accept it, then the 1st time something were bad ordered on the "car," it would set until you sent me the part at your cost. Then the AAR would get involved in the dispute over compensation for removing and installing the part. It could be something as simple as a brake shoe. (Rip tracks don't stock locomotive shoes.)

This happens all the time, with normal freight cars with special equipment, just think what would happen the 1st time you tried to interchange your locomotive/car. Every move off line would be a nightmare.

How would your online customers accept the "car?" Probably not very well, when they are setup to deal with standardized freight cars. If they used your car, they could be held liable if something happened.

Great idea for your railroad. More problems than you would believe in real life.

by txbritt

You can't hump locomotives, can you? The sheer weight of one of your flatcars would be monsterous. Imagine the added fuel cost of lugging a string of those around. Imagine the extra braking power you'd need to stop a string of those "locoflats".

Scrap Locomotive -> Blast Furnace -> Foundry = new freight car, with a load of razorblades on the side.

TxBritt