Railroad Forums 

• Various uses for locomotives and their components

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#141796  by TerryC

Thank you txbritt and RdHseRat for your much needed information. I will mostly stick with engine trucks under freight cars.

keep asking keep learning

I plan on asking a question at the CSX forum, but some of the people there are not as polite and generous as you are. Its about using a Dark Purple instead of Dark Blue for CSX's latest paint scheme. What do you think?
You may choose to ignore this question and choose to add on to the responses to the original questions.

kepp searching keep finding
1929th member to join the forum

#141845  by Komachi

Terry,

Paint - For your road or for modeling CSX equipment in the "dark future" scheme?

I'll say again, your idea for locoflats is original and intreaguing, but I'm going to have to go with txbrit and RdHseRat and say if you're going to build these things, keep 'em on your road/non-interchange. Although, if you keep the traction motors on the units, then you have extra power to lug your merchandise around with.

Still, I'd say go with my suggestion of a new-from-the-ground-up freight car chassis that accepts modular components. You say your road is cash strapped, but you also said that with a state/federal loan, it was able to get some new 4400ACs (or whatever new generation GE/EMD equipment you decided to get), why not say that these new, experimental freight cars are part of a feasibility study and prototype testing for a company that is looking at meeting customer needs in the 21st century and that you also received state/government/private grants/loans to carry said study out?

Just a random thought of my own on that.

BTW - Worf rules!

#141940  by TerryC

Yes, Komachi, I am painting some of my locomotives in Royal purple or a lighter shade similar to Atlantic Coast Line's. The units would have all yellow ends and cabs with white roofs and sides. One locomotives has a Yellow nose, one has Red lettering, and the rest have Yellow lettering.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=108214
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=17738
keep searching keep finding
1929th member to join the forum