• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by Alek9997

Kingfish, I have to say I agree wholeheartedly on what you are saying. Many of these forums (Especially TO) are becoming dominated by extreme railfans ("Foamers"). Contrary to popular belief, I personally am not a foamer. Sure I love railroads, and maybe a couple times a month I sit trackside for a couple hours, but I like plenty of other things too, like agriculture, local history, classic cars, and antique bottle collecting.

I personally am not a big fan of foamers, they actually annoy me. I actually stopped talking to one railfan becuase I couldn't stand his very authoritative and “know-it-all” attitude that Foamers have. I don't post roster shots of every single freight car I see on the internet. I don't read magazines such as Railfan & Railroad and RailPace for instance.

The reason I post a lot on this thread is because the Utica Division is my favorite stretch of railroad, and when it suddenly becomes out of service, we look for any small hints we can that it will someday be re-activated. Not sure if that makes me a whacko, but if it does, so be it. I would just hate to see this great little railroad line with lots of potential suffer the same fate as thousands of others have.

Alek S
  by charlie6017

I have changed the name of the thread to make this just more of a Utica Branch discussion thread..........many of us wish to see this line repaired and active again.

Let's all have great discussion, but lets all remember, keep the dialogue polite, and remember to treat each other the way you want to
be treated.

Charlie
  by fredrick

go to web site wbng.the railroad got over $772.422.00 for the grant. to fix the south end of utica line.
  by Steve F45

fredrick wrote:go to web site wbng.the railroad got over $772.422.00 for the grant. to fix the south end of utica line.
how much did they originaly request? I mean something is better then nothing.
  by fredrick

Steve F45 wrote:
fredrick wrote:go to web site wbng.the railroad got over $772.422.00 for the grant. to fix the south end of utica line.
how much did they originaly request? I mean something is better then nothing.
i think $4.7 mil.
  by obienick

From the pdf of the Strategic Plan & Regional Project Awards:
Southern Tier

Chenango

Chenango County Industrial Development Authority

Main Line Track Rehabilitation, Chenango County

The Chenango County Industrial Development Authority will restore the Binghamton-Utica rail corridor which has been out of service between Chenango Forks and Sherburne since the floods of 2006. The project will repair the railroad embankments and drainage structures, realign stream channels to their original course under the railroad bridges, clear vegetation and debris for the safe use of the rail corridor, and replace ties to allow rail freight service to resume.

DOT

$772,422.00
  by Alek9997

Repairing thirty miles of washouts, replacing defective ties, upgrading drainage.....I would think that would cost quite a bit more than $772,400 but I could be mistaken.

Like Fredrick said, the original documents from a month ago said somewhere around 5 million, so not even a quarter of that amount just doesn't seem right.

Maybe this is just the first installment, with more grants to follow?

Alek S
  by fredrick

at lease $772.422.00 is a start.i think it going to take more money to fix the south end of the utica line. i for sure railfans would agree.well lets see what happen next.
  by milkman

I've been watching this topic for quite sometime now and things are finally starting to look more positive for restoration of the Utica line.
I agree 770,000 doesn't sound like enough but the railroad was also I thought to spend 500,ooo of their own money also.So maybe it will be enough.
Maybe they asked for 4.7 million knowing they wouldn't get as much as they asked for.
  by JoeCollege

The receipt of the state funds qualifies the IDA to now apply for federal funds.
  by fredrick

JoeCollege wrote:The receipt of the state funds qualifies the IDA to now apply for federal funds.
IDA need over $3mill.that lot of money to ask.lets see if IDA apply for federal funds.
  by fredrick

more news on the south end of the utica line. go to wbng website.
  by fredrick

Steve F45 wrote:what am i looking for?
go to wbng website go to local news.look for good news for chenango county.read it.it tells how much the railroad got to fix the tracks.
  by NYS&W142Fan

fredrick wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:what am i looking for?
go to wbng website go to local news.look for good news for chenango county.read it.it tells how much the railroad got to fix the tracks.
For those who may not know what WBNG is, can someone provide a link on line here so all may enjoy reading it?