• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by charlie6017

You won't see much until there is a reason to. No customers right now, and more work to be done to the tracks to make the line operable. The only thing that could be used for is to store unused cars, but the economy picked back up so no need at this time.

Otherwise, you need customers to have trains on the tracks.

Charlie
  by fredrick

to get customers the tracks has to be fix. if tracks are not fix the railroad wont get any customers. i think the issued here is money?
  by charlie6017

fredrick wrote:to get customers the tracks has to be fix. if tracks are not fix the railroad wont get any customers. i think the issued here is money?
Now why would the NYSW fix the tracks that are out of service if there are no customers between Sangerfield and Chenango Forks? That would cost millions. Now, if there were a feasable reason to fix all those wash-outs, replace all those rotted ties, and upgrade the track, they would. Perhaps if Hydraulic Fracturing were to be permitted in New York, that may be a good corridor to ship sand and other materials. Otherwise, I highly doubt anything will move on those rails other than stored cars.

Charlie
  by Alek9997

From my understanding, There might be costumer(s) in Sherburne in the near future, but nothing set in stone yet.
  by fredrick

lets hope. is happens.
  by Alek9997

Yep all we can do is sit back and see what happens over the next year or so.
  by fredrick

back in 2008 the railroad did store box cars just south of sheburne. their must been 25 box cars or more. i dont know how long box cars were their. after while the box cars were gone.
  by Alek9997

Yes, they also stored 100 or so coal hoppers in North Norwich.
  by fredrick

i just wonder if railroad going put more box cars on the utica line south of sheburne. like they did back in 08.this a crying shame the railroad or nysw dont want to fix this line.south of sheburne.i know their is no customers south of sheburne. i just hate to see this part of utica line abandoned. maybe if railroad fix the washout in north norwich. the railroad could put more box cars on the rail. that is a big if.
  by Alek9997

They have no reason to store any freight cars down there unless the economy takes another nosedive.
  by charlie6017

Just like everyone else, I would love to see this branch resurrected. I am a big DL&W/Erie/Erie-Lackawanna fan.............but having said that, I also understand the business side of railroading, and unless more customers pop up, the line will likely stay the same. At least it was not outright abandoned, like so much trackage in the Northeast in the last 30-35 years.

I'm hoping hydrofracking will help drive traffic up and like I said earlier, maybe the Utica Branch would benefit!

Keep the fingers crossed!
Charlie
  by fredrick

thanks. im new here. i may not know what going on here. with the railroad.i trying to find out what the railroad is going with the utica line south end. thats all i want know. hopefully one day maybe the line may reopen.
  by charlie6017

fredrick wrote:thanks. im new here. i may not know what going on here. with the railroad.i trying to find out what the railroad is going with the utica line south end. thats all i want know. hopefully one day maybe the line may reopen.
Not a problem, and welcome! Don't forget, there's still activity on the north end!

As far as the north end goes.............is the brewery still receiving rail service these days? Next time I am out that way, I would like to see if I can catch some street running and then some!

Thanks,
Charlie
  by fredrick

thanks. north end of utica branch. trains are running. that part i know. maybe if customers want rail service esp in sheburne. we may see trains run to sheburne.some day.if customers want rail service in sheburne.
  by Alek9997

This morning there was a high-rail dump truck and excavator parked next to the Larkin Road crossing in East Hamilton. The dump truck was on the tracks. Yesterday there were two NYSW high-railer trucks at the same location but as of this morning they were not there. I'll go back over later and keep you all updated. The reason they are down there is because there is a small Washout around the curve at the North side of the crossing that needs a new culvert pipe for drainage.