• Using SEPTA to Redevelop Philadelphia and to control Sprawl

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ryanov

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Bensalem SEPTA rider wrote:Could outer areas of the city emerge as the next young professional/middle-class family haven?
Not until taxes are lowered and (especially) the city embraces school choice (vouchers, if you wish to call it that). Until then, those young middle class families will be heading for the suburbs when the first child turns five.
Vouchers are an idiotic system. Schools need to be improved, not left to die.

by Matthew Mitchell

whovian wrote:As far as the cleanliness of transit vehicles, Jfrey, I can assure you that they (SEPTA) do everything possible to keep their fleet clean. I hate to say it, but sometimes the riding public are pigs.
Yeah, they can't be bothered to take their old bulletin orders and accounting slips off the train and throw them in the trash.

by whovian

Guilty :-D . Some of my coworkers are without a doubt guilty of that.

by jfrey40535

As far as bus drivers and train crews operating on 'their own schedule', you are dead wrong. Any delay of 6 minutes or later at a terminus or turnaround point and we have to account for it.
Come ride Route 15 with me. Really. This is an invitation. I live near Richmond & Clearfield, and on a REGULAR BASIS I see myself looking at my watch (synchronized with Bell time) and watching the 15 pull out of Madison loop 6 minutes late. FOR NO REASON (well actually the reason is for some operators there is too much time in the schedule, so by leaving late, when they arrive at BROAD they are close to on time). I have complained many, many, many times to the complaint department since the 15 was a bus. And it still goes on today. This is not a swipe at the RRD's, mainly at CTD, and I see this go on all the time. Operators have even told me this is the case. I suspect that management is harder on rail ops than surface ops.
the riding public are pigs
Thats why Philadelphia is known as Filthy-delphia. I understand, but am tired of riding in a trash pit. Sad to say, but I've seen bus operators throw all their trash into the back door stairwell, open the door and toss it into the bus loop.

I see your point on not privitizing. But I have to wonder what was the point in letting the original private operators go bankrupt, instead of treating them like airlines, so at least the whole thing isn't a constant public problem. It would have made sense to bail out the PRR, Reading, PTC rather than create this worthless beaurocratic organizational mess we have today.

by walt

jfrey40535 wrote:
It would have made sense to bail out the PRR, Reading, PTC rather than create this worthless beaurocratic organizational mess we have today.
Actually, the PTC was a hopless case when it was taken over by SEPTA. Many of SEPTA's current problems stem from the fact that it is run exactly like the PTC. ( It's what I call its "PTC Mentality")---- The private example that SHOULD have been followed was that of the Red Arrow Lines---- one of the few transit companies in the nation which was still making a profit when it was taken over by the public agency.

by R3toNEC

Ridership on RRD lines would be increased if Philadelphia could manage to attract more business here. The problem lies in our high city wage tax and a seemingly forever corrupt city hall. Until things change, you our going to continue to have businesses move to the ever unsightly business complexes in the suburbs.