• US Open Golf (Shinnecock Hills) 2018 Service

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by CentralValleyRail

Do we have any update on this? "Transit options will be released in early 2018"
  by MACTRAXX

CentralValleyRail wrote:Another "Bump" for this ^^
CVR: It is too early for any LIRR information in regard to the 2018 US Open Golf Tournament
at Shinnecock Hills GC...More then likely plans will be released in April (my guess) for service
that will include a temporary station similar to 2004 on the Montauk Branch.

See: http://www.usopen.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
June 11-17 are the dates.

MACTRAXX
  by KT3

Knowing how the LIRR operates, they will delay announcing US Open Golf service until a week prior to the Open, and then the day of announce that due to slip-slide conditions on the tracks, there are delays of up to an hour each way, with trains running with fewer cars.
  by GojiMet86

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/ ... inance.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The United States Golf Association, in conjunction with the US Golf Open Championship to be played at Shinnecock
Hills, has requested a license to construct a temporary passenger station along the LIRR's Montauk Branch right of way
between the Hampton Bays and Southampton train stations as well as a temporary pedestrian bridge over the right of
way leading from the temporary station and the foundations and structural supports for a second pedestrian bridge over
Sunrise Highway (County Road 39) to the golf course. A similar license for a temporary station and pedestrian bridge,
with the fee waived, was granted in 2004. The license will be revocable on 60 days' notice.

The temporary station and pedestrian bridge construction, operation and removal will be done in accordance with the
review and written approval of the LIRR's Chief Engineer and its authorized agents. All costs and expenses associated
with the construction, operation, existence, use, maintenance, repair or removal of the temporary pedestrian bridge and
temporary station platform, will be at the sole cost and expense of the USGA. LIRR will provide, at the USGA's expense,
inspectors, field engineers, watchmen, flag protection, train crews, and other employees, for the safety and protection of
its operations, property, employees, patrons, commuters, and the general public.

USGA will maintain liability coverage and insurance, including coverage for the USGA, its contractors and subcontractors,
at its sole cost and expense. USGA will indemnify LIRR from third party claims related to the license being
granted and activities contemplated thereunder.
  by CentralValleyRail

Per LIRR site schedule should be released anyday now.

http://web.mta.info/lirr/shinnecock/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Please visit http://www.mta.info/lirr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for information on schedules and fares (information will be posted on or about May 1)."

Also in the point to point schedules tab Shinnecock comes up as a station but when searched week of US OPEN nothing comes up yet.
  by BM6569

I'm going with a friend for Saturday and Sunday. We've never been before. Will be staying at a relatives house in Wading River. How close does the train drop you off? Will be interesting to see what the special schedules are. Maybe take the William Floyd to Shirley and board the train there. Might be less headaches that driving to the designated parking area then getting on their free shuttle to the course.
  by MACTRAXX

BM6569 wrote:I'm going with a friend for Saturday and Sunday. We've never been before. Will be staying at a relatives house in Wading River. How close does the train drop you off? Will be interesting to see what the special schedules are. Maybe take the William Floyd to Shirley and board the train there. Might be less headaches that driving to the designated parking area then getting on their free shuttle to the course.
BM:
The US Open will be taking place across from the site of the former Southampton College station
in which a temporary station will be constructed. Taking the train east from Mastic-Shirley (and
Speonk) is a good idea - Westhampton and Hampton Bays may be tougher to park at...

Avoiding the Shinnecock Canal bridges bottleneck is the key here - the LIRR Montauk Branch is
the true good alternative to traffic problems during the US Open...MACTRAXX
  by CentralValleyRail

BM6569 wrote:I'm going with a friend for Saturday and Sunday. We've never been before. Will be staying at a relatives house in Wading River. How close does the train drop you off? Will be interesting to see what the special schedules are. Maybe take the William Floyd to Shirley and board the train there. Might be less headaches that driving to the designated parking area then getting on their free shuttle to the course.
The stop is literally across the street from the Temporary platform that they are building. Soon as you cross the temporary bridge over sunrise highway bam your there at the gate. From the time your foot is off the train to at the gate is probably 3 minutes depending on how fast you can climb :P

I will definitely be using the service and plan to go on Friday possibly another day from PENN. Your only issue is that once your on at Mastic-Shirley you won't have a seat as in the past they were packed, granted your only going 40 min vs. 2 hours but keep that in mind, at least per 2004 stats for SAT and SUN.
  by MACTRAXX

BM and Everyone:

I have a copy of the 2004 US Open special LIRR schedule and noted the following:
(I would post it but I have no scanning capability)

Weekdays: Five eastbound and five westbound trains stopped at US Open Shinnecock Hills station.
Two eastbound and one westbound train operated through to and from Penn Station.

Noted in the schedule were intermediate stops at Mineola, Hicksville, Babylon and Patchogue only.
Not all trains made the same intermediate stops in each direction.

At least one of these trips each way was a regularly scheduled Montauk Branch train with a stop
added for the US Open.

The weekend schedule showed 7 trains eastbound and 8 trains westbound that stopped at the
US Open station - eastbound AM and westbound PM.

Three eastbound trains operated nonstop between Jamaica and Patchogue and two westbound
trains operated nonstop to Jamaica from the US Open. Three eastbound and three westbound
trains operated through to Penn Station weekends.

My point here is: Before making any plans to use the LIRR to attend the US Open it pays to wait
until the special US Open LIRR train schedule is released in the coming days to see what trains
and stops will be used to offer service - and to get the new Montauk Branch summer schedule
becoming effective later this month to be able to crosscheck what trains will offer added stops
at the US Open station from Montauk Branch intermediate stations.

The schedule will show the special fares and security requirements for fans that will attend the
US Open that everyone will need to be aware of. Paper schedule copies should be available at
main LIRR stations within days after it gets released for more referral information.

MACTRAXX
  by CentralValleyRail

MACTRAXX wrote:BM and Everyone:

I have a copy of the 2004 US Open special LIRR schedule and noted the following:
(I would post it but I have no scanning capability)

Weekdays: Five eastbound and five westbound trains stopped at US Open Shinnecock Hills station.
Two eastbound and one westbound train operated through to and from Penn Station.

Noted in the schedule were intermediate stops at Mineola, Hicksville, Babylon and Patchogue only.
Not all trains made the same intermediate stops in each direction.

At least one of these trips each way was a regularly scheduled Montauk Branch train with a stop
added for the US Open.

The weekend schedule showed 7 trains eastbound and 8 trains westbound that stopped at the
US Open station - eastbound AM and westbound PM.

Three eastbound trains operated nonstop between Jamaica and Patchogue and two westbound
trains operated nonstop to Jamaica from the US Open. Three eastbound and three westbound
trains operated through to Penn Station weekends.

My point here is: Before making any plans to use the LIRR to attend the US Open it pays to wait
until the special US Open LIRR train schedule is released in the coming days to see what trains
and stops will be used to offer service - and to get the new Montauk Branch summer schedule
becoming effective later this month to be able to crosscheck what trains will offer added stops
at the US Open station from Montauk Branch intermediate stations.

The schedule will show the special fares and security requirements for fans that will attend the
US Open that everyone will need to be aware of. Paper schedule copies should be available at
main LIRR stations within days after it gets released for more referral information.

MACTRAXX
MAC there’s no way you can take a picture of it with your cellphone and upload it?
  by CentralValleyRail

Well on or about May 1st, is clearly past.
  by KT3

Yesterday at Penn, I saw ads that the LIRR had plastered everywhere marketing taking the train to the Open. Only when you read the fine print of the ad do you realize that the LIRR has no actual plan or details yet for customers to know how exactly the LIRR will get them to the Open. But they really want you to take the LIRR to the Open! They promise they'll figure out how to get you there eventually!