• UP Trains Collide in Goodwell, OK

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Gilbert B Norman

Possibly just a tall tale, but 'I once heard' (note I avoid use of the phrase 'I once learned') that an Engineer or Fireman would not be disqualified on the Pennsylvania RR from service on lines with position light signalling.

Take it for what it worth.
  by Zeke

Yes Gilbert that was a tall tale. The PRR was very strict when it came to ailments relating to eyesight. You would not be hired with any color deficiency however if you developed it during your service years there were several options such a being restricted to the yard or put out of service on disability. NYPenn and the north and east river tunnels plus Wash terminal were color light territories on the Pennsy.

Regarding new signal practices. The new LED signals on my railroad are terrible in bright sunlight and way to dim. All complaints fall on deaf ears. In the old days they had night voltage and day voltage built into interlocking signals with day voltage amped up so you could read the aspect easier in direct morning sun light. When I mentioned that in a safety meeting everybody looked at me like I had two heads. Typical off the inexperienced non operating managers of today. Don't pester us with any old school operating regimens. We have a pathological aversion to that old stuff. We have college degrees, you unwashed union BLET bums. Am I too cynical? LOL
  by Gilbert B Norman

Very pleased to learn, Mr. Zeke, that an operating employee would be disqualified from entering service on PRR account any color acuiity vision issues.
  by JimBoylan

Zeke wrote: Don't pester us with any old school operating regimens. We have college degrees, you unwashed union BLET bums. Am I too cynical?
Does that mean that the managers on your road belong to the competing United Transportation Union?
  by Zeke

No Jim they are classified as non-agreement employees ie; non union. They do treat us with respect and will jump on any operating issues when it comes to safety but the just have a mind set that the old way of doing things is irrelevant. If they decided to really address this situation the fact of re-engineering the signal system and the attendant cost makes them run from this particular issue. Some of them tend to be reactive vs. proactive in other words we will wait for a situation to develop before we take any corrective action.
  by justalurker66

So some will wait until a train misses a signal before improving the visibility of the signals in the sun?
It sounds like the managers need to review some cab video or ride along on the train to understand that there is an issue with the signals and not your vision. Hopefully it will not require an incident to get your particular problem fixed.