• UP Train Dispatcher

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Phase Gap

I am looking to to applying for a job as an UP Train Dispatcher in Spring Texas. Does anyone know what the rate of pay is for them? Thanks

by Santa Fe Sucks

Call them and ask.

by daybyday

I applied for a dispatching position with the UP last summer, and I received an email invitation from the UP to attend one of their hiring sessions. The email detailed the pay structure, when/where the hiring session is and what to expect. I don't want to post the exact $ figure I was quoted, as the email was sent to me in confidentiality. I would recomend applying for the position, and if you get invited to a hiring session, the email should tell you the salary range. If you don't get invited, there's no need to worry about the salary.

Personally, I would wait on calling HR before you get invited to a hiring session. If you do get invited to a hiring session and the email does not indicate the salary, then I would call before making any travel arrangements since you will be footing the bill. I had the same question when I applied, but applied anyway. Even after I got the email, I still was not sure if they would pay for travel or relocation, so I had to call HR anyway. The woman I spoke to was nice, and it seemed like the questions I was asking here were fairly common questions. I think they understand that people from out of town are going to have questions since they are paying to get to the interview.

I will say it was a nice salary, and it is a management position, but from what I gathered, you are still required to work the extra board to start and should probably expect to work variable shifts including night, weekends and holidays. I ended up not going to the hiring session only because they were not offering any type of relocation assistance.

Also, if you haven't already seen it, check out www.train-dispatchers.com - if you dig around on the site, I'm sure you can find additonal info regarding job despcriptions & posiibly the pay.

Good luck & keep us posted on what develops

DBD

---------

One last thing:

Here is a post I had copied down from some other message board when I was researching the position (sorry I can't remeber where it was from):

The work is in 8 hours shifts, with a max of 9 hrs on duty. The UP
dispatching is centralized, except for a Southern Region office in Spring,
TX (Houston), small joint offices in San Bernadino and Kansas City and a
couple terminal offices in N Little Rock and N Platte. Most new
dispatchers work in Omaha. The office is downtown in a building separate
from the new headquarters building.

You will go through dispatcher training, qualify on several positions and
will work on the extra board. For the first couple years you won't work
1st shift for safety /workload reasons. Eventually you will be able to
hold a regular assignment. Once you get a few years under your belt, you
can end up on almost any shift, even first, depending on the territory (not
all old heads want 1st shift). Normal workweek is 5 days, but depending on
vacations, sickness, etc there may be occasional extra days. Normally a
dispatcher works within a Region (there are 4 regions).

On the UP a dispatcher is a salaried, non-union, management position. The
next level up is any one of dozens of manager positions, both in the
dispatch center or field. It is a demanding, intense job. Safety is
crucial. Trust is crucial. Thoroughness and attention to detail are a
must. The crews and maintenance workers have their lives in your hands.
Being able to connect an abstract diagram of the railroad you are working
off of to the actual events going on and be able to anticipate what will
happen 4, 6, 8 hours from the time you make a decision is crucial. Ex air
traffic controllers who are now dispatchers say that dispatching is more
difficult (your can't have your train change to a different altitude). It
can also be very frustrating. Sometime you eat the bear, sometimes the
bear eats you. On the other hand, it can be a very mentally challenging
job, like playing chess on board 200 miles across. If you like seeing the
"big" picture, if you like a job where there is always something going on
all the time, then you would probably like being a dispatcher.

by Santa Fe Sucks

Salaried and you work off the extra board? Sounds like a crappy deal to me.
  by daybyday

By the way, if you want to get an idea of what type of communications go on between dispatchers & the trains, check out this site:

http://railroadradio.net/

sorry if this is old.
dbd

by n2qmt

I applied last week for the Apprentice Train Dispatcher position. I am SOOOOOO hoping to get an interview. I think I would be perfect in this job. I'm currently a Chief Flight Dispatcher but as that implys, it's in the airlines. Not a chance of retiring from here. Fingers and toes crossed... Cheers!

John

by daybyday

n2qmt,

Good luck getting the interview. I thought about applying as a dispatcher, but after much thought, I have realized that part of the reason I want to work for a railroad is to get out of the office and into the field (whether or be an agreement position or not - I'm not to particular and from postings on these boards it sounds like there are advantages/disadvantages to both.)

Anyway, bottom line is that I hate the feeling of busting your butt, but not actually seeing any work get done or feeling like I've accomplished anything. Listening to some of the communucations on the website above made me realize that working as a dispatcher would be too similar to what I'm doing now, and I would eventually want to move on from there as well.

Just my $.02

DBD

by n2qmt

DBD-

Thanks for the response. I've worked out in the field (not railroad but EMS) for about 10 years, then the Army for 4. Now, I'm in an office and I make the operational decisions that make the airline run. So I disagree with you that you don't see work get done or accomplish anything. In fact, for me it's the opposite. I have the latitude to do pretty much do whatever I want to with the airline on a day to day basis. My goal when I go into work is to get everyone where they paid to go. Sounds simple but I'll tell you...throw maintenance, weather, and crews into the mix and some days it's nearly impossible. But that's when I am performing at my best and the results I see are all the passengers getting to where they need/want to go and me executing the plan I've created that does the best for the company's bottom line too.

Sorry, I know I drifted OT here...I'll let you guys know if/when I get to interview! Cheers!

John

by n2qmt

Well, I got the email today inviting me to the testing session. It will be on 2/7 in Omaha. Anyone have any insight to the tests (2 personality, 1 Business Reasoning, and 1 Verbal Reasoning. I'm not too concerned about them but of course, I'd like any helpful hints. Cheers!

John

by Fatal

n2qmt wrote:Well, I got the email today inviting me to the testing session. It will be on 2/7 in Omaha. Anyone have any insight to the tests (2 personality, 1 Business Reasoning, and 1 Verbal Reasoning. I'm not too concerned about them but of course, I'd like any helpful hints. Cheers!

John
How did you do?

by magnagrafx

I wouldn't want a dispatchers job if I was starving! I'm an engineer for the UP and I hear them all day everyday. They are stressed to the max about 80% of the time lol. Good luck with it all. About a month ago, we had a light hearted gal dispatching and she lost it and actually started bawling on the radio she was so stressed.

by Guest

magnagrafx wrote:I wouldn't want a dispatchers job if I was starving! I'm an engineer for the UP and I hear them all day everyday. They are stressed to the max about 80% of the time lol. Good luck with it all. About a month ago, we had a light hearted gal dispatching and she lost it and actually started bawling on the radio she was so stressed.

It depends on the person, not the job. Sure you have your days where with 80 trains on the card, delays and short crews mess up your plan. But most times, a good DS will take it all in stride, and make the best of it. Attitude means a lot up there in the Bunker. Creativity also is an asset along with making a plan, and being able to deviate from it without loosing the war. Some territories just refuse to lend themselves to getting good dispatchers. Crew attitudes, local management, and the ever favorite Corridor Manager looking over your shoulder, who would want such a place?

The desks from N. Platte to Chicago, and N. Platte to Marysville are about as challanging as you can get. It takes a clear mind, and the ability to accept challange to keep those corridors 'fluid'. It also helps that local management keeps tonnage moving, and not holding trains for 3 days at time before getting them on the road.