• UP St. Paul MN Service Crew

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by GM

I just recently scheduled my reading test for the St. Paul Service Crew, I'm a new person here, and have some questions about the job in general. I have scanned the post and got some answers for my questions, but I still have a few.

1. I use to be in Law Enforcement, so the schedule or "on call" does not bother me but I would like to get a better understanding on how it works. Do you have days that you are not on call and then set days that you are?

2. I have read in some post that they "over hire" or "lay off" after you have been in training? Is the St. Paul area in need of Service Crew or are these statements true?

3. What is the typical turn around time from working your way up the ladder?
Does it depend on the area etc.

4.If anyone has any info for the St. Paul please post, just looking for some general info.

Thanks in advance

Greg

by Burner

there is no set hours you are on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year...

legally all they are required to give you is 8 hour off, which means they can call you after 6 1/2 hours off to come back to work one minute after 8 hours

as far as demands in the st paul area i have no clue

by UPRR engineer

Moved to employment section..

by GM

So do you get forty hours in a week or more or sometimes less??

by UPRR engineer

Doesnt work like that buddy, we get paid in miles, or miles ran.
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by UPRR engineer

GM wrote:
1. I use to be in Law Enforcement, so the schedule or "on call" does not bother me but I would like to get a better understanding on how it works. Do you have days that you are not on call and then set days that you are?
There are no days off unless your working the yard or hold a local. Those jobs are based on a 100 miles for 8 hours. Guys in the yard bid on rest days, Sat Sun, Fri Sat, Mon Tue, ect ect...

If your on a Turn or on an Extra Board theres no days off, its a rotating, first in first out thing. You can Lay Off Sick if you need time off. I have no problem getting time off this way. My last streak, i layed off and went to Cancun Mexico for 14 days.
2. I have read in some post that they "over hire" or "lay off" after you have been in training? Is the St. Paul area in need of Service Crew or are these statements true?
Dont know the answer to that one. Most guys will see some time having a hard time "Holding" for a few months during the first 5 years so keep that in mind.
3. What is the typical turn around time from working your way up the ladder?
Does it depend on the area etc.
Like i said 5 years is a good guess, but i dont know what ladder your talking about. The move to engine service just depends.
4.If anyone has any info for the St. Paul please post, just looking for some general info.

Thanks in advance
Dont know.

by GM

^UPRR^ Thank you very much for the info.

by usmcdevildog

GM, I work out of So St. Paul. Right now we have borrow-outs up here from El Paso TX because we are short-handed. So I wouldn't be too worried about being furloughed. As far as being on call...It depends on where you want to be a conductor. You might have a choice between the yard or the road. If you go on the road then you're always on call. If you get the yard, then you have 2 assigned days off a week. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. I was in your shoes a year ago.

by GM

Hey thanks, I take my test tomorrow, I hope I do well!

by GM

Well I passed my test!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

by t-squared07

I go up for a hiring session next week. What can someone tell me about the trips out of St. Paul?

Would also like to know about the yard and yard jobs there.

thanks.

by GM

Well have fun I have not been contacted for anything yet from the time that I have completed my test. I have check on the UP employment site but nothing yet. Well I guess I will keep on the job search..............other wise.

by UPRR engineer

Takes a awhile there bud, hang in there.

by Hawko

If it does not work out with the UP, try the BNSF. I noticed that they are currently taking applications for conductor trainees at Northtown (Minneapolis) and Superior, WI.

by GM

Yea I just sent in mine for BNSF, I still have not heard a thing from UP. The other thing that sucks is that I have applied for unemployment, for the first time in my life and they changed the computer system here in MN and they are 5 weeks out for my check(s) to come to me. I know that the RR has a slow hire process but when your unemployed its like pulling teeth.