Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Dave Keller

GP38:

Your Hillside shot didn't open.

Can you try it again? I'd like to see it.

Dave Keller

Hi JJ

Can you e-mail me off line at [email protected] ?

I have a question for you that perhaps you can answer.

Thanx!

Dave Keller

by ntrainride

It's nice that the basic station house still stands. Amazing how much it has been encroached upon. The only one left out of the other abandonded Mainline East-of-Jamaica Queens stops. Although there's some remnants of Union Hall Street and I think Bellaire. I too would like to see Union Hall Street re-opened. But I don't think it'll happen until Jamaica Avenue starts seeing the type of development downtown Brooklyn has achieved.

by GP38

Dave, I put it on a different server, so it should work now. I never had a problem with imagestation not allowing remote posting on their large thumbnails, but I guess they no longer allow it.

by robertwa

Here's a picture I took of the Hillside station building in February, 2001.

by GP38

Wow, thanks Bob! Better than my angle!
Time sure wasn't kind to the station comparing it to the older photo, but I guess it's better than the alternative.....an empty field.

by Dave Keller

GP38:

What a nice shot of a pretty building!

Judging from the condition of the building, the whiteness of the concrete and the surroundings, I'd say that was a shot taken upon opening of the structure (1911). (I have a similar-looking one at the opening of Floral Park: 1909.) Same railroad photographer, perhaps?

What a difference years can make when there is no preservation group active!

Dave Keller

by Dave Keller

And . . . speaking of the devil . . .

Follow this link for a shot of Union Hall Street below grade being sold on e-bay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 60912&rd=1

It shows the platforms and stairs up to the iron bridges which crossed the LIRR tracks prior to the Jamaica East improvement.

Dave Keller

by Dave Keller

Bob Andersen posted my Union Hall Street archive shot, taken at grade, on his great LIRR History website, so now I can show all those interested what I meant by the depressed tracks still being in use after the 1913 Jamaica elevation and station relocation.

This shot, taken on 12/16/29, is looking west from the New York Avenue grade crossing towards the Union Hall Street iron bridge. Covered stairs allowed access from the bridge level to the platform level.

Some construction already appears underway at the far left. This entire area would be elevated the following year with the Jamaica East Improvement Project.

Dave Keller