• Type 7 Overhaul Program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by F-line to Dudley via Park

SM89 wrote:
type 7 3704 wrote:I rode 3615 home yesterday. Some observations on the interior side:

-The Kinki Sharyo plate at the ends of the trains were replaced by an "Overhauled by Alstom" plate.
I'd say only about 10-20% of the pre-overhauled cars had Kinki Sharyo plates. Most are missing.
Weren't most of the original K-S builder plates swapped out already for plates ID'ing which cars were leased out via insurance underwriter for rate savings?
  by SM89

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
SM89 wrote:
type 7 3704 wrote:I rode 3615 home yesterday. Some observations on the interior side:

-The Kinki Sharyo plate at the ends of the trains were replaced by an "Overhauled by Alstom" plate.
I'd say only about 10-20% of the pre-overhauled cars had Kinki Sharyo plates. Most are missing.
Weren't most of the original K-S builder plates swapped out already for plates ID'ing which cars were leased out via insurance underwriter for rate savings?
You either see the 80s Kinki plate, the 90s KinkiSharyo plate, or the screw holes where they used to be. From my experience, most are missing. I've never seen anything else there. I assume by leasing you mean like the ones some Orange Line train cars have?
  by Bramdeisroberts

type 7 3704 wrote:I rode 3615 home yesterday.
Did you notice any difference in the sound of the traction motors or the choppers/thyristors?

I saw 3614 the other day on the Lechmere Viaduct and it definitely sounded different/louder compared to the usual Type 7+8 trains that you see.

For what it's worth, I also noticed that they added a completely new HVAC system on the roof, with a much more angular look to it. That's what first queued me in to the fact that it was 3614.
  by PublicTransitUSA

Bramdeisroberts wrote:
type 7 3704 wrote:I rode 3615 home yesterday.
Did you notice any difference in the sound of the traction motors or the choppers/thyristors?

I saw 3614 the other day on the Lechmere Viaduct and it definitely sounded different/louder compared to the usual Type 7+8 trains that you see.

For what it's worth, I also noticed that they added a completely new HVAC system on the roof, with a much more angular look to it. That's what first queued me in to the fact that it was 3614.
Good eye! The new A/C units are much louder than the older Type 7s'.
  by PublicTransitUSA

All of the overhauled Type 7 trains have been grounded temporarily in the past few weeks. They may have been put back into service as of now, I'm not sure. Numerous problems have been found with them. Just a quick list:

- Wrong gauge wiring/cable, has caused a fire on at least one
- Wrong procedure/materials on the installation of the tires
- Leaking roof
- APS problem

The trains look really nice and shiny, but I guess Alstom seems to have done a poor job mechanically
  by diburning

I'm on 3677 right now. The interior and exterior lights keep cutting out (while sitting still at a traffic light), but I know it's not a catenary cut out since the HVAC is still on. The destination sign (not sure if these were worked on during the overhaul) is broken and doesn't display anything besides a few odd "marks." I think it may be a power issue because the sign fluctuates between illuminated and off, and it seems to be tied into the marker/running lights next to them as those have been randomly shutting off as well. I can't really form a fair opinion based on this one car's issues but this one appears to be a basket case of problems.
Last edited by diburning on Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by MBTA3247

Sounds like it's just one problem, with whatever system steps down the voltage from 650VDC for all the low-V systems on the car.
  by Gerry6309

MBTA3247 wrote:Sounds like it's just one problem, with whatever system steps down the voltage from 650VDC for all the low-V systems on the car.
If that was the case, nothing would work, since the low voltage system powers the controls as well as those auxiliaries. Sounds more like a simple loose connection somewhere, such that lights cut in and out and the sign computer never completes its boot process.
  by Type 7 3684

Many things are happening with the refurbished trains. 3607 has been shipped, 3626 is prep. Currently, 3617, 3639, and 3654 are in testing. I did see 3633 being wheeled off a flatbed trailer a couple weeks ago.
  by Type 7 3684

Late post, but I was on 3644 (one of the new overhauled trains) a few weeks back. I noticed that there was still a creaking noise inside the train. I would think they would have fixed that.
  by ck4049

I believe that creaking noise you heard was the strain of the draft gear and coupler. I noticed the same thing while riding on the 3610 the other night. If that's the case, it'll never go away. As a side note, the lights in the overhauled cars are so bright the three blind mice could see in them.
  by Type 7 3684

That would make sense. Not only are the lights bright, but the new HVAC systems are quite loud also.
  by Type 7 3684

Adding on, 3654 has entered service.
  by Type 7 3684

Another day, another train. 3697 is next to be shipped.