• ??!! Two questions...

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by DogBert

Figured this might belong in a new thread, so here goes:

The questions are based on what I've noticed come in and out of town over hell gate in the last 24hrs.

yesterday morning, there was the normal csx run into the pond. I saw it heading in on my way to work. I assume it left back to the bronx after 3 or 4 hours of switching, as per the usual pattern dating way back into conrail days and probably even prior to that.

last night though, around midnight, some sort of train headed towards fresh pond. too early to be CP (usually crosses the bridge around 3am), and too early in the season to be P&W, or so I assume. didn't get a good look at it. too damned dark out.

Then around 5:30-6am something fairly long went back towards oak point - sounded like SD40-2's for power and a decent length train. couldn't see what sort of cars witht he darkness...

So - was this some sort of csx extra, or perhaps a new operating pattern by CP?

Whatever it was, it leads to the next question...
csx just went in towards fresh pond, the normal morning round trip. however, at least 20-25 cars of the train were those trash cube cars loaded in maspeth - has that customer significantly increased their loadings? I noticed at least 5 or 6 cars in the csx train yesterday belonging to them, which is a little more normal than 25...

by phantom

The first train you heard was an extra light engine move to Pond by CSX to pull their outbound from the previous day. On Tuesday they delivered the inbound and returned light due to time constraints. The late night move was due to bridge work on the Hell Gate. The inbound this morning had 23 of the 90' flats. Sometimes a lot of the empties return in one train.
The customer is busy and will probably get busier.

by DogBert

I see...

I recall when they were just moving 3 cars a day at the start (what was that, a year or two ago?) seems to be at least double that last time I saw an outbound...