• Transit Strike Modified Regional Rail Schedules

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by jfrey40535

SEPTA released the modified train schedules today in the event of a strike on Monday morning:

http://septa.org/news/SIP/RR.html

Doesen't seem like they went all out on adding more service. The R6 Cynwyd got 2 extra trains each way (what are they thinking!!), and they better not run single cars!

I also see on alot of schedules that the extra trains are bypassing city stops, which is where the service will be needed most! The strike isnt really hurting suburbanites like it is city people. Its bad enough there are so few city rail stations as most were closed over the years, but with a strike, you would think they would have more trains stopping at North Broad, Wayne Junction, Bridesburg, etc.

The modified R3 West Trenton only adds stops to Elkins Park, not Wayne Junction. To some people its going to be the only ride into town, and SEPTA still sticks their nose up at them.

by reldnahkram

Is Victory going to strike too? If so, what's the point of having expresses on the R5 stop at Overbrook and nowhere else?

by jfrey40535

The railroad will be the only ticket in town.

by R3 Rider

Some yum-yum reporter over at the Metro made me laugh this morning. This is from the opening 'graph of their Page 4 article about the Service Interruption Plan:
SEPTA officials announced a contingency plan yesterday in case of union strikes on Halloween, recommending that riders use regional rail lines and depend on smaller lines including the L.U.C.Y shuttle that loops through University City, the Cornwells Heights shuttle and the Horsham Breeze shuttle.
The Cornwells Heights shuttle? All it does is loop through the parking lot again and again! Yeah, that'll really get folks where they're going... Image

by kevikens

I don't really want to see a strike as that would really hurt the long suffering riding public but there is a silver lining for rail fans in that if it gets bad enough and lasts long enough Septa will drag out stored equipment and run it, maybe even reopen some city stations (Wissinoming ?) The last time there was a strike back in the late 90's I saw some old MU's with Pennsylvania railroad on the side and remember when it ended, all Septa service, including the commuter trains, was free for a day or two. Great chance to ride the rails and see the whole system for free.

by jfrey40535

Septa will drag out stored equipment and run it, maybe even reopen some city stations (Wissinoming ?)
Puhleeze! I bet the bombers still only do one complete trip a day. As I mentioned when I started this thread, the "modified" schedules are a joke. A few trains (and I mean a FEW) were added, a few stops were added to express runs, and that's it.

What they didn't do is add more service to core stations like North Broad and Wayne Junction (all R3's still bypass). And except for Wissinoming, all the closed stations have been leveled (Nicetown, Tioga, Frankford Jct, Frankford, Andalusia, etc.). Eliminating stations on the trunks are such bad ideas, but $EPTA thinks they can save themselves to prosperity. To them, the strike is a chance to save money.

by mannynews

I think folks here are just looking for another chance to grumble at SEPTA.
Those PDF's outlined service IN ADDITION to regular service. Looks like many of the lines are getting at least 1-2 new trains and most of the trains are adding local in-city stops.

During the last strike, I lived near the 49th Street station and must say that SEPTA operated a efficient operation despite the situation.

I think the railroad managers look like they are going to make a significant effort in light of this strike. Let's remember as many trains as we want may not be physically possible due to equipment issues, access issues onto the AMTRAK lines, and an already crowded SEPTA main line.

by kevikens

What line has a 49th St Station ? I think the complaint about the expanded service not being very expanded is correct. Some time ago if the city transit system went out on strike you could get around using regional rail lines to get pretty close to where you had to go. With the closing of so many stations within the city that's going to be tough today. The regional rail system is designed today to move people in and out of thew city, not within it and that's what Septa needs to do in in a city transit strike. Can any of those closed stations within the city be reopened for the duration of the strike ?

by mannynews

49th Street Station is on the R-3 Elwyn Line.

Let's also add that it's not SEPTA's fault that the CITY TRANSIT DIVISION is going on strike. REGIONAL RAILS are exactly for that, getting around for fast regional trips, not for every local city stop.

by Matthew Mitchell

kevikens wrote:I don't really want to see a strike as that would really hurt the long suffering riding public but there is a silver lining for rail fans in that if it gets bad enough and lasts long enough Septa will drag out stored equipment and run it, maybe even reopen some city stations (Wissinoming ?)
No they won't. SEPTA has a well-organized plan, developed in conjunction with the city and with major employers. It's been tested in previous strikes, and has worked reasonably well. There will be longer consists, extra stops at existing stations, and a few extra trains run.

As the strike goes on, things get better, not worse. People find carpools or other alternatives, or otherwise adjust their travel plans. That's why ridership does not come back to 100% after a strike.

Foamers... sheesh.

by Matthew Mitchell

jfrey40535 wrote:What they didn't do is add more service to core stations like North Broad and Wayne Junction (all R3's still bypass).
Huh? R8 trains are making additional stops at Wayne Junction.
And except for Wissinoming, all the closed stations have been leveled (Nicetown, Tioga, Frankford Jct, Frankford, Andalusia, etc.). Eliminating stations on the trunks are such bad ideas, but $EPTA thinks they can save themselves to prosperity.
Huh? Have you run the numbers? DVRPC has. Those stations were really weak performers: some of them had daily boarding totals in the single digits. They probably had a net gain in ridership from closing those stations, plus the operating cost savings.

By closing those weak stations, you can save a minute or two out of the schedule of every train. Faster service is more attractive to people farther out on the line, and results in increased ridership.

Now, I think one could make the case for using the railroad as the primary trunk-haul mode in some city areas, but in order for it to be effective, it would require a substantial restructuring of bus service and the fare structure--something SEPTA hasn't been interested in, and might not even be able to achieve in its present form. Whatever, it's something that will need careful planning before we try it.

by whovian

Furthermore, most of those out-of-service RRD passenger stations were redundant. Westmoreland (R-8) is two city blocks from Allegheny (R-6); Logan is right above the BSL subway stop of the same name. Wissonoming isn't that far from the MFL, and it's proximity to Bridesburg and Tacony. The same goes for Frankford and Frankford Junction. Fishers station (R-7) is a brisk walk down Old stenton ave to Wayne Junction. On average, trains neither discharged or received hardly any passengers when those stations were open. I'm suprised North Broad is still in service given that North Philadelphia is LITERALLY two blocks away and the subway is right there on Broad street.

by PARailWiz

I'm suprised North Broad is still in service given that North Philadelphia is LITERALLY two blocks away and the subway is right there on Broad street.
Allows for quicker transfers from ex-RDG to ex-PRR. But I think you could make a case for at least leaving the platforms of those old stations there but locked off; that way in a strike or other emergency you could re-open them in a pinch. Probably impractical, but the sort of impracticallity that would be useful at times...

by jfrey40535

Sure inner city stations are redundant, assuming everyone is going to the same place. For those of us who live in the city, and want to go somewhere other than Center City, the inner city stations save the trouble of having to go to Center City to get OUT of Center City.

Examples are:
FJ: gets you to AC, NYP, HAR (ok so you still have to go to CC) etc.
Nicetown/Tioga: Warminster, Doylestown, NE Philly.

There are plenty of urbanites reverse commuting to the suburbs for work, and since its a pain in the a$$ to get to a station, they end up on the 22 or 55 to get there. Granted the numbers may not be high enough to justify their reopening, it would be nice to have as an option. Trust me, from dealing with the 15/MFL to get downtown to get out of town, it would save alot of time and trouble if something like FJ was a stop for going to AC/NYP. In fact, you could even drive and park your car there, almost like living in the suburbs (only parking would be free)!