• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2007

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by Btkspot89

I also cannot remember they day as well. I meant to post it the day I saw it. However sometimes it is hard to get ony my computer and do my updates. But Yeah last week sounds right.and indeed it was an strange arrangement. As for my daily updates I don't see much of the M&E any more. Either they don't work the NJT line the day I am here at school or I hear the alco horns but just can't indentify the engine and what they are hauling. ( usually 18 though 20 once in a blue moon)

by denvillerailfan

18 can down to Roseland this AM...
Heard them blow the horns when I got in so I went down to Quick Check- they were still on the other side of the Passaic.

Came through Eisenhower with 4 tanks.

First time I had EVER see the lights function there. everyone stopped with pleanty of room to spare.
Swung up on 280 to see them coupleing to the other tankers up there.
Didn't stay since I was on the h-way.
That and I did have to get to work sooner or later ;-)

Take care...

by blockline4180

denvillerailfan wrote:18 can down to Roseland this AM...
Heard them blow the horns when I got in so I went down to Quick Check- they were still on the other side of the Passaic.

Came through Eisenhower with 4 tanks.

First time I had EVER see the lights function there. everyone stopped with pleanty of room to spare.
Swung up on 280 to see them coupleing to the other tankers up there.
Didn't stay since I was on the h-way.
That and I did have to get to work sooner or later ;-)

Take care...
Thanks for posting! It is nice to see trains down at that end of the line... Luckily B&G foods is still busy enough to have them go down there at least once a week. I chased the 18 about 4-5 years ago down there and the tracks were in pretty bad condition... BTW, is there a siding that still goes into the Lumber barn in back of Quick Check?? It was supposed to be a customer, but they never get anything..

by denvillerailfan

blockline4180 wrote:BTW, is there a siding that still goes into the Lumber barn in back of Quick Check?? It was supposed to be a customer, but they never get anything..

Still there, it was holding some of the equipment for the earlier track work once they were done. there is a pile of old ties that were replaced at the end of the siding now.

by Btkspot89

Finally I get to do an update again, 18 west bound around Denville station around 8:40 am. To really make my day it had a very unusual arrangement. It passed by with 1 box car but behind the box car were what appeared to be 3 old NJT comet cars and trailing at the end was one of the M&E private cars. I am glad I caught it :-D

by blockline4180

Btkspot89 wrote:Finally I get to do an update again, 18 west bound around Denville station around 8:40 am. To really make my day it had a very unusual arrangement. It passed by with 1 box car but behind the box car were what appeared to be 3 old NJT comet cars and trailing at the end was one of the M&E private cars. I am glad I caught it :-D
Very interesting! I wonder why they went west with the 3 old Comet Cars.. Maybe M&E sold them or perhaps they will be picked up by NS to be shipped to Maine!

by PVRX1

Morristown & Erie is providing passenger equipment for the excursions planned out of Pennsburg, PA.

The trips are scheduled for October 6, 7, 13, 14 and are sponsored by the Upper Perkiomen Valley Chamber of Commerce. The trips are to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Trips depart Pennsburg (for Emmaus & return) at 8, 11, 2, 5 most days.

These trips will feature the Reading FP7s 902 (owned by the Reading Company T&H Society) and 903 (owned by the Philadelhpia Chapter NRHS) for power. After these trips, the locomotives will be stored at the RRMofPA in Strasburg and the coaches will return to the M&E.

by blockline4180

PVRX1 wrote:Morristown & Erie is providing passenger equipment for the excursions planned out of Pennsburg, PA.

The trips are scheduled for October 6, 7, 13, 14 and are sponsored by the Upper Perkiomen Valley Chamber of Commerce. The trips are to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Trips depart Pennsburg (for Emmaus & return) at 8, 11, 2, 5 most days.

These trips will feature the Reading FP7s 902 (owned by the Reading Company T&H Society) and 903 (owned by the Philadelhpia Chapter NRHS) for power. After these trips, the locomotives will be stored at the RRMofPA in Strasburg and the coaches will return to the M&E.
Interesting! I had just read this in Rumorpace. Apparently they wanted to use old Reading MU cars, but they lack roller bearing trucks and the rumor posted is that NS doesn't transport any cars with friction bearing trucks...Is this 100% true about the friction bearing issue???
  by Sandy Burton

The two recently purchased ex LTV RS-11s have arrived in Morristown. Reporting marks are RRPX. Numbers are 7205 and 7210. They were on the run-around on the hill behind the shops on Friday.

Sandy

by ELSDP45

Is this 100% true about the friction bearing issue???
Depends on how much money you have...

by EDM5970

ELSDP45-

You sound like you have experience moving friction bearing equipment? Or else have lots of money?

It isn't a rumor, its a fact. The major railroads won't move friction bearing equipment.

by PVRX1

I read the coach and FP7 item in the Philadelphia NRHS newsletter that came Thursday.

by Shark

Cars and locomotives equipped with friction bearing trucks are restricted in interchange. The friction bearing equipment can move throughout the owning railroad's system, however if they are to be moved off the system, the car or locomotive must be de-trucked and either shipped by flat car or flatbed trailer or retrucked with roller bearing trucks.