• Trains and operations in Browns Yard

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by MHKProductions

So will SA-31 run Thursday? And what will be the power if 4408 has problems again?
  by AceMacSD

Wait and see.

For the record, PTC isn't a major failure.
  by Bracdude181

@MHK They brought 4432 in the other night to replace 4408, which is hilarious IMO since 4432 can barely move.
  by AceMacSD

And you know this how? Exactly how many times have you operated 4432 that you can make that statement with any legitimacy?
  by Bracdude181

Scratch that. 4432 replaced NS 5286

SA31 has 15 cars today
  by pdtrains

Exoect that in the next week or 2, no more SA-31 runs to red bank, SO what other work does this crew do? Is it an advertised 5 day a week job, or an extra board crew.

If its an advertised job, wondering if there has been any notice to abolish it, and replace it with some other #, extra board.
  by Bracdude181

I’m not entirely sure how they are gonna go about things once the final train has run. There was one crew in the past, SA-33, who would often work the Amboy Sec, Freehold IT, and Hightstown IT all in one day before that train was abolished. Perhaps either 31 will do that or they’ll abolish it and split the remaining work between SA-3 and SA-22.

Also heard something about some sort of requirement that road crews will be the only ones allowed to run south of browns once everything is all said and done?? No clue what that’s about.
  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:05 pm I’m not entirely sure how they are gonna go about things once the final train has run. There was one crew in the past, SA-33, who would often work the Amboy Sec, Freehold IT, and Hightstown IT all in one day before that train was abolished. Perhaps either 31 will do that or they’ll abolish it and split the remaining work between SA-3 and SA-22.

Also heard something about some sort of requirement that road crews will be the only ones allowed to run south of browns once everything is all said and done?? No clue what that’s about.
There is a lot to unpack here.

WPSA33 was abolished when Home Depot left Dayton, which IIRC was 2007 or 2008? The customers that remained didn't require 5 day a week service. I don't recall the 33 doing any work other than Dayton, regularly ever. SA31 had been the Hightstown, Freehold, Southern crew since 04 or 05.
The limits of " yard work" west of Browns Yard is Summerhill Rd, which is why SA22 or SA3 service Inland, and in the past Greif and Sweitzer Int. West of Summerhill Rd is " Road Work". Unless they change the limits, there will still be a WP job going west to Jamesburg/Cranbury/Dayton.
  by MHKProductions

SA-31 will apparently stay for now, since trestle work is going to be happening in jamesburg. SA-31 will get Freeholds cars for now until the trestle work will be finished between the section of the wye connecting to the amboy secondary and jamesburg.
  by AceMacSD

pdtrains wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:27 pm Exoect that in the next week or 2, no more SA-31 runs to red bank, SO what other work does this crew do? Is it an advertised 5 day a week job, or an extra board crew.

If its an advertised job, wondering if there has been any notice to abolish it, and replace it with some other #, extra board.
They'll be running to Bank for a while. Probably end of next spring or early summer. We've still got work to do between Jamesburg-Farmingdale. This may <at times> have Freehold cars coming through Red Bank.

Crews'll have to maintain NJT quals to Bank. IIRC, the limits were NJC to Oport. Once the dust settles, there'll still be work for '31. They'll maybe interchange at jburg daily, who knows. Still too early to write the job off.
  by pdtrains

Thx for the info. Its been a long time since i was out that way. IDK how many consignees are left outside of the Freehold and southern lines.
  by JohnFromJersey

MHKProductions wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:40 pm SA-31 will apparently stay for now, since trestle work is going to be happening in jamesburg. SA-31 will get Freeholds cars for now until the trestle work will be finished between the section of the wye connecting to the amboy secondary and jamesburg.
Does this mean RB-1 will be getting and delivering Freehold's cars tomorrow?
  by MHKProductions

No, I'm not sure when we will start seeing cars for freehold come down through the NJCL. It will be interesting to see hoppers come through on SA-31 since the early 2000s when Ocean Gro was a customer. Prestone will support more tankers and covered hoppers too. Bulkheads for that customer on the team track in Freehold (I forgot the customer name). And more covered hoppers for Reed, and Box's/centerbeams for builders which It isn't new for SA-31 because of woodhaven.
  by MHKProductions

If someone can provide a estimated date for the Freehold cars to start coming to Red Bank, that would be helpful. I only know that the trestle work is estimated to be finished in June of 2024, so service will resume normally from there.
  by Bracdude181

Is this a Conrail trestle being worked on?