• Train for the movie "Unstoppable" filming on the WNYP.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lexon

The runaway loco was under full power according to the article. As it was coming down a grade into Kenton, OH, it was slowed to sightly under the speed limit of 25 mph for a curve by the chase loco that was under full dynamic brakes and the engineer applying air brakes.

Rich
  by Jtgshu

Here is a link to what seems like a pretty offical report probably from the FRA (it looks to be copy and pasted, not like a PDF file or anything)

http://kohlin.com/CSX8888/z-final-report.htm

Its a good read....it will be interesting to see how similar the movie is to these events. This link only discusses how it happened, and not some of the other stuff that happened, like the sheriff shooting the fuel tank, etc.
  by MNCRR9000

Just saw the trailer for the movie today. It doesn't look too bad. At first I thought it was a remake of the made for TV movie that came out in the 90's. I think it went by the name of Atomic Train.

Here is the link to the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-0Ywc7wNY

It also appears as if the release date is November 12, 2010.
  by SemperFidelis

Okay, so I got some people angry at me for accidentally reviewing "The Taking of Pelham 123" a few months ago and then someone made a joke about "early release" DVDs...

Sigh...that is all I'm going to say about this one. Judge it for yourselves, though, as my standards are always a little lofty. Also, it can't hurt to make the box office return on a railroad related movie as high as it can be as that's what drives future decisions.
  by roadster

Just remember it's "based" upon a real incident. Which means only they used the fact a runaway occurred and used a couple elements for the movies plot, that's all. Take it for what it is entertainment, on a level that most people who are not familiar with railroad operations can understand without a bunch of classroom time.
  by Benjamin Maggi

I can't wait. I would rather watch this then some chick flick. It will be the first movie I go to see in the theaters this year!
  by MNCRR9000

Benjamin Maggi wrote:I can't wait. I would rather watch this then some chick flick. It will be the first movie I go to see in the theaters this year!
I couldn't agree more.
  by thebigham

I read online that the movie was very good.

BUT, my friend said he knows someone who saw it and didn't like it at all.
  by Benjamin Maggi

thebigham wrote: BUT, my friend said he knows someone who saw it and didn't like it at all.
This logic can be used to support or refute almost anything (not that an online review is any better!)
  by MNCRR9000

thebigham wrote:I read online that the movie was very good.

BUT, my friend said he knows someone who saw it and didn't like it at all.
Thats interesting that your friend knows somebody who saw it and didn't like it; considering that it doesn't come out till November 12th.
  by SemperFidelis

There's a few ways to see a movie before screening time...

Like I said before, why not go see it? It won't be the worst movie you ever saw, that I can guarantee, and Denzel's performances are almost always worth the time. You can help stimulate the economy of the 14 year old manning the concession stand.
  by bwparker1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/movie ... id=artslot

"This one could be a runaway smash
By Ann Hornaday
Friday, November 12, 2010

The director Tony Scott achieves something close to the action movie in its ideal form with "Unstoppable," which can be summed up thusly: Train out of control! Must stop train!......"
Last edited by bwparker1 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by thebigham

#1 at the box office:

1. Unstoppable (Fox) NEW [3,207 Theaters]
Friday $8.5M, Estimated Weekend $24.5M