• Train for the movie "Unstoppable" filming on the WNYP.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Westfolk

EMTRailfan wrote:
dieselsgirlfriend wrote:It would be funny if the locomotives ended up traveling back and forth across the state on CSX before makeing it to there next interchange.

What is the story behind it and what happened?
Click on Brooks' link. :wink:

Where is Brooks' link? The only one I've seen is the one I posted. Where's the other one?

They scheduled to be filming until 10-25-09 along "old" route 220...exit 158 off of I-80. Most of what they are doing is on the NBER along old 220 down to Tryone. Their base camp is on the left between the road and the tracks a mile of so south of the turn to go to Milesburg off old 220, so stay on old 220. When filming is in progress they are stopping traffic. Alot of the rolling stock is sitting in Bellefonte. This is current as of yesterday afternoon.
  by jgallaway81

Well, today was supposed to wrap shooting in tyrone. From what I understand, they are headed to ohio to do some more shots.

While I was sitting at CP-Works in Altoona tonight, waiting for our helper assignment, I heard Altoona East Dispatcher give track authority #676 to AWV #777 from Park to ???? (I think its the last DCS Station, up toward the Buffalo Line).

I never did catch the train in this area, which bytes, but, oh well, I've always considered my photography more of an archeological adventure, rather than strict railfanning... but it still would have been neat to catch them.
  by lvrr325

Aren't people going to notice when the movie's done that the leaves on the trees go from green in the September filming, to bright colors in the October filming, to basically gone in the November filming? Central PA and Ohio can't be too far behind us in New York on the foliage -
  by jgallaway81

In all honesty... I asked my friends & family the same question about three weeks ago when the first large numbers of neon orange leaves were spotted in this area.

Be kinda interesting to see the train leave with green leaves, travel with no leaves and arrive with orange leaves.
  by MP366

"Unstoppable"...the story of a runaway train full of toxic chemicals(what other kind are there? Oh..wait, water is a chemical...)that careened unmanned and out of control for two months from Anchorage, Alaska down on the unsuspecting town of Rio Grande, Argentina.....
  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:Aren't people going to notice when the movie's done that the leaves on the trees go from green in the September filming, to bright colors in the October filming, to basically gone in the November filming? Central PA and Ohio can't be too far behind us in New York on the foliage -
Its the movies they will just add leaves to the trees when they edit the final cuts in the film with a computer.
  by lvrr325

scharnhorst wrote:
Its the movies they will just add leaves to the trees when they edit the final cuts in the film with a computer.

The computer animation required to do that ain't cheap, compared to if say they'd started shooting in May and wrapped by September. I guess we'll see when the finished product hits theatres.
  by tbonetmw

Unstoppable just got stopped in Bridgeport Ohio. They had a very nasty derailment and put a car on the ground. I tried to get pics but was turned away by the local police.
  by Plate F

tbonetmw wrote:Unstoppable just got stopped in Bridgeport Ohio. They had a very nasty derailment and put a car on the ground. I tried to get pics but was turned away by the local police.
Was it the derailment that was supposed to happen?
  by Flat-Wheeler

No, don't believe so. No big boom with leaking fluids, fumes, and flames. Something unintentional happened though. Here's the news clip I found.

http://www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=view ... ryid=70791

I have to wonder, what happens when these Hollywood producer mentalities finally have their once in a lifetime chance to operate a train ? Especially in anticipation of a large intentional wreck. Don't they need to experiment a bit to get a feel for what will work and what won't ? It's not like they are going to do several takes of a major derailment over and over again. They'll get one, maybe two shots at a large wreck, and that's it. Unless they are using scale models and special effects for the final train wreck. Anyone with inside knowledge know ?
  by lvrr325

I would expect they used scale models for the wreck. A real train wreck is too expensive and too unpredictable to handle much beyond say crashing a train into a bus or truck. Even then when they did that for "The Fugitive" they made up a dummy "road slug" to protect the operating locomotive from the explosion. And the locomotive they used to hit the bus was a relatively cheap one yanked out of an NS dead line -
  by MP366

FWIW check out the link first...they used real locomotives, albeit shells that were heavily doctored...including hydraulic lifts under the units to get them to flip over....my understanding is that one of the short lines in PA bought the dynamic brake grid off of one of the wrecked units for 500 bucks...