• Trackage at Sabin Metal in Scottsville on the R&S

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

The Carl Schmidt book is not the best reference anymore. It's can be fairly random and times and quite contradictory even with itself. Just be careful when reading it.

Charles

Rickshaw wrote:Mark, I found the Carl Schmit book at the Yankee Peddlar in Ontario before it burned. It is an edition of 1000 copies and printed in 1953. The history room at the Scottsville library should have a copy. Some of the other information came from the series "Pictorial Wheatland" which is a series of low quality pamphlets but extremely historical done by the Wheatland Historian back in the 70's. The historical society had them for sale again about a year ago. I found mine through used book stores. The Yankee Peddlar is now in the Village Gate but I don't get there as much as I used to. Since his fire at the Ontario location, the stock isn't as complete, but none the less it is still interesting.

by nydepot

Canawaugus is easy. It's still there. Right on Rt. 5 from Avon to Caledonia. You'll see where the Greenway crosses Rt 5. Then some houses further west of there. Then the intersection of River Rd with Rt. 5. That's all Canawaugus.

It was an Indian Reservation and then built up after they sold the land to the canal and moved (or were moved?) their reservation to Basom, NY. The Valley Sand and Gravel mine is also part of Canaqwaugus. Back in the 1900-20 there was more there: gas station, coal dealer, etc., plus it was a grade crossing back then.

Look on the right side here, half way down. This is from 1950.

http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=NY

Charles
driftinmark wrote:rickshaw, is this book in the scottsville library?

where the leroy -scottsville railroad ended up is where the big springs museum is now? it must have been right next to handsome lake?

i rellay have to get to the scottsville library, i would like to find the exact location of canawagus..........its on maps from 1703, I guess it was a big village back then..........

i wonder how many rail rodas crossed union street from avon to the lake, must have been quite a few...................

mark
  by Rickshaw

Yes that picture is it. But no one called me on the brand. It is a Marion and not a B-E, but sometimes I speak before I fully remember.

The Ebsary house was wonderful in its day, and much more spectacular now as the home of a famous woodworking artist, even though some of the traditional has been replaced with modern. Great view of the flats.

by FarmallBob

nydepot wrote:Canawaugus is easy. It's still there. Right on Rt. 5 from Avon to Caledonia. You'll see where the Greenway crosses Rt 5. Then some houses further west of there. Then the intersection of River Rd with Rt. 5. That's all Canawaugus.....

Back in the 1900-20 there was more there: gas station, coal dealer, etc., plus it was a grade crossing back then.....
In about 1972 while exploring the abandoned PRR ROW (now the Greenway), my wife and I stumbled over the remnants of what looked to be an abandoned gas station just a few feet south of the NY 5 overpass on the west side of the ROW. Seemed kind of odd at the time as we were unaware the settlement had ever extended downhill (east) as far as the railroad.

...FB

by TB Diamond

The steam shovel on Flint Hill Road was put on display back in the late 1970s in a tastefully landscaped setting. Alongside the shovel was a saddle tank steam locomotive and a hopper car, positioned on a short section of track so that it appeared that the shovel was loading the car. This display was still intact in August, 1994, but by April, 1999 the hopper car and loco had been removed. Anyone know where the little tank locomotive went?
  by Scott K

Rickshaw wrote:Yes that picture is it. But no one called me on the brand. It is a Marion and not a B-E, but sometimes I speak before I fully remember.

<snip>.
Yeah, me, too. I was all set to argue the make of the shovel, then I looked at some of the detail pictures I've taken of it. Oops. There it is, cast right into one of the support legs for the tracks, "Marion." After all these years, and after having examined the thing up close, I never noticed that before! (Smacks forehead, D'Oh!) That does make it easier to search for information on it now, thanks!

And a big thanks to all for the info on the Scottsville-Garbutt area. I'd heard there was a gypsum mine there, but never found any useful information on it before.

Scott K.

by BR&P

Re the large steam shovel west of Mumford - TBDiamond has described it well but is a bit off on the date. I have a slide I took of the display in July 1961 so the display was already set up by that time.

The shovel is numbered "3" and there was a paragraph painted on the side:

"This shovel was purchased from the Marion Steam Shovel Company in the year 1906 ... It operated continuously from that time to June 1949 and is now in operating condition. General Crushed Stone Co. General offices Easton PA"

The 0-4-0T also bore the number 3 and was lettered "GENERAL CRUSHED STONE CO" on the tank. The bucket of the shovel rested in a 4-wheel mine car behind the loco.

by nydepot

CNY Chapter NRHS at Central Square has it at their NYO&W depot.

Charles
TB Diamond wrote:The steam shovel on Flint Hill Road was put on display back in the late 1970s in a tastefully landscaped setting. Alongside the shovel was a saddle tank steam locomotive and a hopper car, positioned on a short section of track so that it appeared that the shovel was loading the car. This display was still intact in August, 1994, but by April, 1999 the hopper car and loco had been removed. Anyone know where the little tank locomotive went?

by driftinmark

old and weary, and rickshaw, thank you so much for posting................

fb and charles, thanks so much for the info as well................

i have learned soo much...........

besides railroads , i study the senecas also, I know where canawagus is on a map, and have been there a few times, i was wondering where the exact indian village was, for some reason , i think its right where the quarry is ...........the reservation as was deeded was 2 miles square starting at the river, a few noted senecas came from there, cornplanter, handsome lake , and red jacket was there for a time also..............I was at the big sprinngs museum a few years ago, and there were a lot of pics from the lake when it was behind the school, must have been real pretty there.........it was filled in in 1900 after a fire in caledonia, they used all the fire waste to fill it in.........for some reason, i figure that the lake was the main attraction to the town, clean clear spring fed water, which is prolly why the early railroad stopped there , the horse drawn one.........

this whole area fascinates me to no end, so much history and knowing where all the trains ran is very interesting too................

i still think the oatka trail is the prettiest road in the county in the fall, and every year i try to take a drive thru there............

thank you guys for answering so many hard questions , this has been a great thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mark

by driftinmark

old and weary, and rickshaw, thank you so much for posting................

fb and charles, thanks so much for the info as well................

i have learned soo much...........

besides railroads , i study the senecas also, I know where canawagus is on a map, and have been there a few times, i was wondering where the exact indian village was, for some reason , i think its right where the quarry is ...........the reservation as was deeded was 2 miles square starting at the river, a few noted senecas came from there, cornplanter, handsome lake , and red jacket was there for a time also..............I was at the big sprinngs museum a few years ago, and there were a lot of pics from the lake when it was behind the school, must have been real pretty there.........it was filled in in 1900 after a fire in caledonia, they used all the fire waste to fill it in.........for some reason, i figure that the lake was the main attraction to the town, clean clear spring fed water, which is prolly why the early railroad stopped there , the horse drawn one.........

this whole area fascinates me to no end, so much history and knowing where all the trains ran is very interesting too................

i still think the oatka trail is the prettiest road in the county in the fall, and every year i try to take a drive thru there............

thank you guys for answering so many hard questions , this has been a great thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mark

by lvrr325

So far as I know the tank engines at Central Square came out of the old Rail City Museum at Sandy Pond.

by nydepot

That's a different engine we're talking about. This is n.g. There also used to be a tender parked behind it when in LeRoy.

See here: http://www.cnynrhs.org/cnylocos.html

Charles

lvrr325 wrote:So far as I know the tank engines at Central Square came out of the old Rail City Museum at Sandy Pond.

by BR&P

Gee, Charles, you had to wait till I put the slide away, THEN post that. Made me dig it out all over again LOL. At least this time I knew where to look.

I really don't think that was a tender at Leroy. It's a 4-wheel car but almost appears to be a miniature side-dump, which would be more in keeping with the quarry operation. From what I can see, there is no access from the loco to the car (although the slide does not show clearly on that). Lastly, while the car is small compared to a standard rail car, it would be one heck of a big tender if that's what it was.

I won't bet the farm, but I really believe it's a mine car, not a tender. I'm not computer savvy enough to post the slide here, maybe someone else has a similar photo they can share.

by BR&P

(delete duplicate post)
Last edited by BR&P on Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.