• Track Specs. Needed.

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Komachi

Hey, guys,

I hate to double-dip posts, but, I thought i'd get a better response on this inquiry here.

In my thread on the development of the Preston Historical Society's interpretive center in Preston, Minnesota (Museums, Tourist Lines and Clubs Forum, you can view it here... http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... &sk=t&sd=a ) I raised a few questions about track specs..

Our work site has been graded and leveled. From what I've observed, a layer of plastic was placed on the ground and ballast (rock obtained from a re-roofing project here in town) placed on top of that, with the ties laid on top of the ballast. I'm just currious if there're any specs. we should be following on this (I was not informed as to when trackwork was going to begin, otherwise I would have inquired about this sooner), such as how thick of a layer of ballast we should have, tie spacing, etc.? The two tracks will be used to display our 1939-vintage boxcar and our 1951-vintage caboose and will not see active service beyond that. Also, what is the distance that should be between the two tracks? I don't think we need to engineer our track to mainline standards, but I'd like to see it done right the first time.

Also, are there any groups in Southeastern Minnesota, Northeastern Iowa or Southwestern Wisconsin that would be willing to assist us in laying our track? Please PM me and I'll be in contact with you.

I appreciate any information/assistance you guys can provide me with.
  by David Benton

Good luck Erik . I'm trying to do a similair project here , and its difficult to find such information . The best i got dimensions wise was from the model railway guild .
  by Rockin' Roller

According to the FRA, you should have the number of ties as follows,
Class 1 track, 5 crossties per 39' of track.
Class 2 and 3, 8 crossties.
Class 4 and 5, 12 crossties.
Class 6, 14 crossties.
Class 7, 8 and 9, 18 crossties.

In your situation it isn't that critical, but it gives you an idea of how many you will need.
The ballast should not just be under the ties, but between them also.
As far as spacing of the tracks, we always call it "the six foot". I would think you would want at least that much so you have room to walk between the cars.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

FWIW, if you have the room, make them farther apart. Imagine yourself visiting someones equipment. Sure would be nice to be able to shoot both sides, for your modeling efforts......... :wink: We have a topic under operations, discussing track centers, for straight and curved track. I'll see where it's at....
  by Bartman-tn

If you are doing any track work, there are two sources you should have available. One is the FRA Track Saftey Standards (49 CFR Part 213). The tie counts shown above are from this. However, these numbers are for FRA good ties per 39 feet. Track normally has 20 to 23 wood ties per 39 feet.

The second document that you should have is a set of AREMA recommended prtactice specs. AREMA is the industry's engineering group and they establish recommendations for pretty much anything involving track and bridges and such.

Also, you probably can use a copy of any Class 1 railroad's specifications for new industry track. Large railroads have put together packets of track standards for any new industry track construction that they will serve. These are often available for the asking if you connect to them.

If you are really interested in track, I teach a course several times a yaer for the University of Tennessee on the FRA Track Safety Standards and we cover it from a shortline viewpoint.

Also, on the track clearance issue. If you keep tracks 20 feet or more apart center to center, the FRA allows you to work on one without slow trains on the other. Therefore, you see many railroads increasing the distance between the tracks. This distance also makes it easier for viewers to see and photo the equipment and allows people to pass, room for wheelchairs, room for maintenance trucks, etc.

Bart Jennings
  by manson

I took Bart's class a few years ago. It was well worth the time and money. i would recommend it to anyone who spends much time around track for a living.
  by slashmaster

Rockin' Roller wrote:According to the FRA, you should have the number of ties as follows,
Class 1 track, 5 crossties per 39' of track.
Class 2 and 3, 8 crossties.
Class 4 and 5, 12 crossties.
Class 6, 14 crossties.
Class 7, 8 and 9, 18 crossties.

In your situation it isn't that critical, but it gives you an idea of how many you will need.
The ballast should not just be under the ties, but between them also.
As far as spacing of the tracks, we always call it "the six foot". I would think you would want at least that much so you have room to walk between the cars.
What? 5 crossties per 39 feet of track for class 1? 8 crossties for class 2? I was just counting the number of ties under 40' model railroad boxcars and I got around 20. There is no way 5 or 8 crossties would look right, 12 would probably be too far apart. Where are you getting this from? I've never seen a piece of track that looks like that. Do you have any pix?
  by BR&P

Go back and read his original post. He's asking about display tracks to park equipment on.

The FRA specs are for active track, and specify the number of NON-DEFECTIVE ties needed to comply with a given class of track. There would naturally be far more ties per rail, but not all of them have to be good.

If you're building a display track, you would probably want to use all decent-condition ties - either new or good relays - since you don't want to have to replace them in 5 or 10 years, especially if the track is only long enough for the items that are on it. Put them on about 22" centers and it will look fine.