Railroad Forums 

• Probation period

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#999672  by Trjn2011

I have a question. I got a contingent offer for Electronic tech bnsf. I have taken all my test including strength test. However, I have been reading that the background check is performed after you have been hired?? Then why would they make me do all this if they aren't for sure if you are goin to pass. Reason why I'm asking is not because I'm afraid of the criminal background part... It's because I kinda lied about my job title.. I didn't lie about where I work, I just made my job title on my resume/app look more intriguing to the job I applied for ( electronic tech telecomm). Some people say Im IN but im not too sure. Need help pls and I'm kinda worried I'll be let go during my probation period. Just dnt want to quit old job if I'm goin to get fired because I kinda lied. Thx
 #999890  by AJLB

I have my FINAL offer from BNSF for Conductor Trainee. I know for a fact that Verifications Inc. WILL background check you before hire. If your hire date is really soon and the check isn't completed, they may start you pending an OK check. As far as I know they only check dates and if you were fired.
 #999996  by COEN77

Most people build up their resume to make it look better. I wouldn't be to worried. I'm sure employment history has already been check. The criminal background could take longer.
 #1001703  by Trjn2011

Just got my final offer/ onboard email. So I'm guessing I got the job. Sorry it took me so long to reply, just a little busy. Any advice on how/ what I need to do to impress the boss within the probation period??? And I'm guessing if I got the final offer, I guess they didn't fully check for my job title? I'm excited but scared because I really want to work here and make sure I dnt get fired while on probation with bnsf.. Just any great advice will help. Thx
 #1002311  by DutchRailnut

best way to impress is do your job, don't hide or slack off, but fly under radar.
The less they know you the better.
 #1002349  by jz441

Show up on time, do what you are told, follow the rules and you have nothing to worry about.
 #1002470  by slchub

Agree. Few others.

Keep your mouth closed about matters that are not appropriate to the job at hand.

Listen to the old heads and do it their way until you are off probation and have a few whiskers.

Keep an open mind.

Get involved and learn. Ask questions.

The hardest part is getting over your derail. But once your done, you pretty much have a career for life.

Good luck.
 #1003218  by Trjn2011

Thx for the great/helpful tips :). I dnt want to seem like I'm asking too many questions but does anyone know what you do as an electronic tech telecomm?? What exactly do they do? I have read the description on bnsf website but really doesn't tell you what you'll be doing. Will they train me??? I'm just freaked out because dnt want to start and not know anything. And last question, is this job layed off a lot or is it a consistent job??? Thx again.