Railroad Forums 

• Question on time off

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#890060  by douglas

So i was recently hired for a conductor trainee position but the class doesn't start for a couple weeks and i was wondering how easy it is to get a couple days off because i have a trip planned later this summer. My training will be over by then so that isn't a problem. Just look for a little advice on if it won't be a problem to get a couple days off with letting them know plenty in advance or if i should try to reschedule the trip? Thoughts?
 #893143  by jz441

douglas wrote:So i was recently hired for a conductor trainee position but the class doesn't start for a couple weeks and i was wondering how easy it is to get a couple days off because i have a trip planned later this summer. My training will be over by then so that isn't a problem. Just look for a little advice on if it won't be a problem to get a couple days off with letting them know plenty in advance or if i should try to reschedule the trip? Thoughts?
What railroad? Every railroad has its own attendance policy, and some are more flexible then others.
 #893261  by fishin360

I'm getting married on june 4. Might be going to redi on march 14. I would definitly have to take 3 days off, but my honeymoon might be up in the air. I would be a month in training. I could hold off going on a honeymoon. Do you think there would any problems? Would anybody hold this against me? I would be working out of philly with csx.
 #893375  by wringer

Similar question, I just got a conditional offer with BNSF start date sometime in February. My best friend is getting married in Oct. and I am suppose to be his best man. I would probably need to take of 2 days at the least being the wedding is 1200 miles from the where I am being hired at.
 #893461  by EricL

Well, here's how I would approach it. Naturally, don't mention any of this stuff until well after you're actually hired. After that, well, every RR has its own attendance policy, but the local bosses normally have some wiggle room as to its implementation. So, if it were me, once done with the classroom and sent to the home terminal for OJT, I would go out there and demonstrate that I'm willing to learn, and to work. Don't be over the top, a kiss-ass, or a know-it-all, but just give your boss a good initial impression. If he is impressed with you, hopefully he shouldn't balk too much when you come to him after a few weeks of good work, asking whether a couple days off would be okay?

No matter where you work, one mark-off is probably not enough to get you in trouble, but you just need to take care to avoid running afoul during your "derail" or probation period. In fact, on paper, it's even better if the time-off happens when you're still in your OJT period, since as long as you have the boss's blessing, it might not even count as a markoff, since you aren't even marked up for normal service yet.
 #893505  by COEN77

fishin360 wrote:I'm getting married on june 4. Might be going to redi on march 14. I would definitly have to take 3 days off, but my honeymoon might be up in the air. I would be a month in training. I could hold off going on a honeymoon. Do you think there would any problems? Would anybody hold this against me? I would be working out of philly with csx.
Yeah, you'll most likely have to put that honeymoon on hold for a while till next year when you get a vacation. Go to REDI start your OJT in Philly don't mark off for any reason other than your classroom meetings every two weeks when it gets close to your wedding then talk to the trainmaster supervising the trainees. CSX is a tough railroad on their attendance policies. It's the most difficult out of any railroad. CSX when you finally get marked up as a conductor is difficult on attendance. You'll have regular assigned rest days forget about weekends they'll no longer excist that takes seniority to hold. Working an extra board you might have one day off a week or two consecutive days every two weeks depending upon the terminal that's a local union issue. FRA regs if a person works 6 consecutive days without a 24 hour break they are required to have 48 hrs off if they get in a 7th day it's 72 hours off. That 24 hour break could be in a hotel waiting on a train. As for marking off personal business, sick, sickness in family ect...that's one day off in a 4 week cycle which means once a person takes the day off the 4 week cycle begins again. CSX is hot on this issue no excuses. Not trying to make anyone nervious just stating reality.
 #893529  by Gadfly

That will not look good, getting hired and then almost immediately asking to mark off!
Seriously! You see, you will be in the 90 day probation period during which you can be terminated for ANYTHING without recourse. All that it takes for that is for some bosss just not happen to like you, and you're done.

When we, the current and former railroad people, tell you this stuff about how rough the railroad life is, we are NOT kidding. Depending on the division, the railroad, even the particular bosses you have, marking off can be touchy subject with them. I saw my Terminal Superintendent scream out, "AWRITE, I f###in' DARE anybody to mark off right now, YOU HEAR ME? YOU DON'T WANT YOUR JOB, JUST TRY ME!!!!"

With that said, I can't see the harm in ASKING the boss about it; asking a question about it as a new hire and DOING it (marking off) is two different thing! You could explain that the opportunity to work for the railroad came along, and the event/wedding/activity had been long scheduled previously and you didn't know you would get this wonderful(?) opportunity to work for them. Most bosses---even railroad----wouldn't mind answering that question. You are, after all, a new hire who doesn't know such things. If the answer is not favorable for marking off, then simply reschedule the event.

In the early years in T & E service, especially, you are not going to GET much time off; that is, weekends off when most events and neat things occur. I know, most people are used to working a regular shift of 8-10 hours and going home. They can PLAN activities. With the railroad, it's gonna be different until you "grow some whiskers" (build some seniority), and you might as well get used to being "owned" by the railroad (Saint Peter don'cha call me, cuz I cain't go; I' dun marked up to the ##### railroad!) :) Sure, you could get lucky and get the easiest Trainmaster in the world, OR you can get the worst sum#### that ever pounded ballast! I had several really good bosses, but they always say "nice guys finish last!" That's what happened: they always seemed to get transferred out pretty quick to be replaced with a really grumpy bruin! Got some of THEM, too!
Gud Luck! YMMV.

GF

Gadfly
 #893553  by drewg350

gadfly: "If the answer is not favorable for marking off, then simply reschedule the event."

Sure. Simply reschedule your wedding. Don't worry about the fact you had to plan TWO years in advance to get that available Saturday at the catering hall. Don't worry about the $10,000.00-$25,000.00+ deposit you lose. No problem. "Simply reshedule the event". Oh that's rich, I love it !!!

Just kidding Gadfly. You are correct. I'm just laughing as being from North Jersey, it would be devastating to have to try and reschedule a wedding at such a late date. Maybe a year + in advance, but if your under 1 year, or worse, under 6 months, it could be extremely costly, and mean you may be forced to have your wedding on a weekday. Getting a weekend wedding in any decent reception hall in NJ takes at least 1 year advanced planning. Sometimes you get lucky and might get a cancellation, but that's hard to count on. Perhaps, and that's a big perhap's, depending upon your location and the traditions involoved, your boss might understand your situation and "might" garner some sympathy. But that's a big "might".

With regard to CSX and allowing you "one" mark-off per 30 days. If you don't use it, for example you go 3 months without marking off, do you get to carry over any of those allowable mark-off's or do you lose them if not used? I would assume you lose them and can not carry over any mark-off time. Correct? Does anyone know how NS works? Just got hired and wondering myself how they compare. From everything I read on this forum (concerning NS) I'm leaning towards them being the worst RR. I'm fine with whatever the situation is, just curious. Thanks!!!
 #893589  by COEN77

LMAO!! No, there isn't carry over days on the 4 week period. A person could go 5 years without marking off let them mark off for 2 days in the 4 weeks the 1st step violation is a letter of repremand which stays on their record for 3 years. It's a 4 step process. Each violation within that 3 year period gets worse 4th step termination.

CSX hired upper management from the NS about 5 years ago. That's when CSX changed. NS has always been one of the most difficult railroads to work. They terminate people in T&E in a heartbeat.
 #893659  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

we could always get time off on conrail using the "REL" mark off reason. REL=RELIGIOUS REASONS. They won't touch that one,they have to let you go to church or serve your church.....other than that, esp. for new hires make the money while you can,forget about a life outside the railroad. Plain and simple.
 #893831  by jz441

wringer wrote:Any guys out there with BNSF experience as far as time off goes?
Here is how things work on BNSF... You will not be allowed additional time off while in training, unless there is some unforeseen emergency. Once marked up, you will be subject to attendance policy. If you work the extra board without assigned days off, you can mark off 5 week days and 2 weekend days per month. In other words, you will have no problem getting 2 days off.
 #893885  by COEN77

RDGTRANSMUSEUM wrote:we could always get time off on conrail using the "REL" mark off reason. REL=RELIGIOUS REASONS. They won't touch that one,they have to let you go to church or serve your church.....other than that, esp. for new hires make the money while you can,forget about a life outside the railroad. Plain and simple.
I remember back in the early '80s we had an tower operator that had to work on a sunday morning. He decided to go to church while working. He placed a cross in the window and left. He had plenty of time for church after that luckily he only got 30 days in the street. To my knowledge church mark off doesn't excist on CSX anymore just like trying to get off personal business the crew callers in JAX go crazy when someone tries to use it. I had some good arguements with them on marking off PB. CSX's arguement is that's why we have personal leave or daily vacation for doctor appointments ect....
 #893941  by wringer

jz441 wrote:
Here is how things work on BNSF... You will not be allowed additional time off while in training, unless there is some unforeseen emergency. Once marked up, you will be subject to attendance policy. If you work the extra board without assigned days off, you can mark off 5 week days and 2 weekend days per month. In other words, you will have no problem getting 2 days off.
Thanks JZ