Railroad Forums 

• From Québec to Chicago

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#728775  by steve4031

I believe there is a Marriott Hotel in downtown Detroit right by the tunnel. If your passing through on a weekend it would be an ok place to break the journey,

Honestly, I would avoid a same day transfer in Detroit. It is easy to do, but in order to do it with out risking a tight connections is to spend a few hours in Detroit. The Amtrak station is not in the best neighborhood, and IMHO there is not much to do in downtown Detroit. If you want to go via Detroit/Windsor, then spend the night there and not in Toronto. You would have a decent place to spend your time between trains, and would be able to freshen up. Use trip adviser to find out about the hotel options.

If you want to take the train both ways, then I recommend going west via Detroit/Windsor and going east on the Lake Shore Limited to NYC. And then take the Adirondack back up to Montreal. This might cause a few extra hotel nights, but you would get some fabulous scenery as the LSL travels along the Hudson and Mohawk rivers.

If your purpose is to ride trains, then I suggest breaking the journey up in the manner mentioned above so that you are rested, and can enjoy each part of your trip. If you are in a hurry, or are trying to cut cost, then make the adjustments to cut hotel nights out of your trip.
 #728862  by AgentSkelly

steve4031 wrote:I believe there is a Marriott Hotel in downtown Detroit right by the tunnel. If your passing through on a weekend it would be an ok place to break the journey,

Honestly, I would avoid a same day transfer in Detroit. It is easy to do, but in order to do it with out risking a tight connections is to spend a few hours in Detroit. The Amtrak station is not in the best neighborhood, and IMHO there is not much to do in downtown Detroit. If you want to go via Detroit/Windsor, then spend the night there and not in Toronto. You would have a decent place to spend your time between trains, and would be able to freshen up. Use trip adviser to find out about the hotel options.

If you want to take the train both ways, then I recommend going west via Detroit/Windsor and going east on the Lake Shore Limited to NYC. And then take the Adirondack back up to Montreal. This might cause a few extra hotel nights, but you would get some fabulous scenery as the LSL travels along the Hudson and Mohawk rivers.

If your purpose is to ride trains, then I suggest breaking the journey up in the manner mentioned above so that you are rested, and can enjoy each part of your trip. If you are in a hurry, or are trying to cut cost, then make the adjustments to cut hotel nights out of your trip.
The hotel in the GM Renaissance Center has very inexpensive rates as I understand.
 #728906  by Darien Red Sox

If connecting in Detroit/ Windsor I would recommend an overnight connection to avoid the possibility of missing your connection train. I would also recommend crossing over the boarder the night before so you can be on the same side of the boarder as your next train to avoid delays at the border crossing.
 #728989  by MissisquoiValleyRR

Gilbert B Norman wrote:While I know we gather at this Forum to express to one another our mutual love of trains, this appears to be a trip best made on "Big Bird'. I realize such will likely involve a change at CYUL or CYYZ, but it will not involve the "overnight" at your expense that rail in either direction will entail.
Not sure if Mr. Norman was including paying for a sleeper on the LSL in his
"overnight" at your expense
, but to be clear, it is possible to make the westbound trip in coach without paying for a hotel:

DP Quebec City 06h00
AR St-Lambert 09h08
DP St-Lambert 09h45
AR Schenectady 16h50
DP Schenectady 19h31
AR Chicago 09h45 +1
 #729003  by Gilbert B Norman

You have a point Mr. MVRR. Possibly I was remiss in reviewing the topic, but your immediate posting was my first knowledge that a Westbound journey was possible without an "overnight'.

While, save some kind of emergency as once happened to me when my Sleeper had to be set out enroute, "you wouldn't catch me dead' riding overnight Coach, possibly Mr. Arashi is willing to do so; to each their own.
 #729018  by kmillard

I forgot about Schnectady. I had the Westbound trip connecting at Albany but Schnectady gives more time.
 #729045  by MudLake

MissisquoiValleyRR wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:While I know we gather at this Forum to express to one another our mutual love of trains, this appears to be a trip best made on "Big Bird'. I realize such will likely involve a change at CYUL or CYYZ, but it will not involve the "overnight" at your expense that rail in either direction will entail.
Not sure if Mr. Norman was including paying for a sleeper on the LSL in his
"overnight" at your expense
, but to be clear, it is possible to make the westbound trip in coach without paying for a hotel:

DP Quebec City 06h00
AR St-Lambert 09h08
DP St-Lambert 09h45
AR Schenectady 16h50
DP Schenectady 19h31
AR Chicago 09h45 +1
Believe it or not, there really is a non-stop flight from Quebec City to O'Hare. Lest anyone not fully grasp how long this trip is, as the crow flies Chicago is closer than Quebec City to Toronto.
 #729551  by Penn Central

MissisquoiValleyRR wrote: BTW, anything interesting within walking distance of the Schenectady station?
Yes. Union College is next to the station and there are several restaurants nearby. Cornell's and Pinhead Susan's are a short walk from the station. I have eaten at the latter and it was quite good.
 #730116  by orulz

There is no way to say it other than "enjoy your flight"; no fun, but in six hours or so. "over and done". If you can accept travel on a Bombardier CRJ "puddle jumper" (I fly 'em; they're OK), there is one Air Canada non stop CYQB-KORD Daily.
I see others have already pointed this out, but I disagree: if your mind's set on taking the train to Chicago, it seems the Via-Amtrak connection at St Lambert, and the Adriondack-Lake Shore connection at Schenectady is pretty reasonable: 27 hours total en route, reasonable layovers, overnight on the train. You could either pay for a sleeper on the LSL, or forgo it. Your choice.

I'd probably fly back, though.
Last edited by orulz on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.