Railroad Forums 

• Canaan Railroad Days and Housatonic Excursions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#793215  by Rick Abramson

My meeting with the Chamber went great! The enthusiasm for this event is beyond belief. Ticket price for the BERKSHIRE LIMITED, which in actuality is a donation towards the station will be $15.00.
Departure times from Canaan will be 10A, 1P and 4P; Return from Gt. Barrington will be 11A, 2P and 5P. Train will operate 7/10, 7/11 and 7/18.
 #799612  by DutchRailnut

Be intersting as FL-9's are out of service and drained and removed from timetable, in other words clearance is revoked.
 #799904  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Be intersting as FL-9's are out of service and drained and removed from timetable, in other words clearance is revoked.

And everyone knows it will take an Act of God, and the expressed written permission of a MNCR engineer to make it happen. Give it a rest.
 #826821  by Rick Abramson

The HRRC excursions between Canaan and Gt. Barrington 7/10 were a great success! A great time was had by all in spite of the morning monsoons.
Trains will operate again (7/11 and 7/18) departing Canaan at 10, 1 and 4; departing Gt. Barrington at 11, 2 and 5. Tickets may be purchased in Canaan Union Station for $15.00 adults,$5.00 children. ALL ticket proceeds go to the renovation of Canaan Union Station.
 #826937  by edbac333

I went up to Canaan today (7/11) for the 1pm train and was a very nice ride.The train was filled to capacity .Among the sites worth seeing along the way was at least 3 sightings of whom I believe to be Otto photographing the train among other photographers.I checked out the exhibits and purchased a few items as well. There were a lot of volunteers on hand from various groups.notably HRRC,BSRM,Caanan Union Station restoration etc and they all did a fantastic job.Thanks to Rick and all the rest for a good day and I look forward to the day I get inside a fully refurbished Union Station.
Ed Baclawski
 #826983  by Otto Vondrak

I did indeed make the trip north today! Made sure to buy a souvenir ticket before i headed out to take pictures.. Got a few interesting shots on a part of the railroad i don't normally follow. Thanks to everyone who made these trips possible, they looked very popular!
 #827097  by Rick Abramson

Ed, Otto:

Thank you both for your much appreciated comments about the excursions. A lot of hard work and time goes into making a project such as this a reality.
Otto, although you did not ride the train, it was great of you to still purchase a ticket to help the station.

Rick Abramson
Sup't-Operations, HRRC
 #827290  by CVRA7

Congratulations to Rick and all the others who have made this event such a success. It was nice to see the cooperation between the Housatonic, Conn. RR Historical Association and the Berkshire Scenic.
 #827544  by Rick Abramson

I have been absolutely thrilled with the "rave reviews" coming in here at RR.Net and in the newspapers. It certainly makes all the work and effort worthwhile. I believe so far over $9000.00 has been raised for Canaan Union Station.
Thanks to all those who have supported this effort.
As a reminder, the trains will be running again 7/18.
Any of you who come up 7/18, stop by the engine and say hi; I'll be engineer for the day.

Regards,
Rick
 #827588  by umtrr-author

A friend of mine was on the train this past weekend and gave it rave reviews. He was also impressed with the work being done to restore the Canaan Station.

Kudos to all those who helped make an affordable train excursion a reality, and for a good cause to boot.
 #949605  by shadyjay

This caught my attention while browsing around:

http://www.canaanunionstation.org/

July 9,10,17: Excursion from Canaan, CT to Great Barrington, MA
July 16: Excursion from Canaan, CT to Stockbridge, MA

I'm assuming they'll be using extra BSRM equipment and either a BSRM or a HRRC locomotive.

I'm going to be in CT for the weekend of July 16/17 and the July 17th excursion is just what I need to complete my mileage of the entire Berkshire Line from Danbury to Pittsfield.