Railroad Forums 

• Looking for LAL engines in HO

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#584215  by kf7strng

Well, not sure where to pu this, But I thought it was interesting. While searching (well.. "Scouring" is a better word!) the internet for HO scale model trains, I came across a model of none other than Seminole Gulf #550. As many of you know, #550 is one of the currently OOS units in the shop right now. Anyway, here's the link.. Have a look at it. http://www.internettrains.com/merchant2 ... gory_Code= I also remember seeing one of the LAL engines in an HO scale model I believe (In LAL family paint too!)But i forget where i saw it.

Otto, move, or REMOVE if needed
 #584366  by pablo

A former employee (who I won't name, because I didn't want to throw his name out there without his permission) has doen some amazing models of the WNYP fleet, and I believe they are in HO. Some pics floated around here and there some time ago. You might have seen those.

Dave Becker
 #584615  by kf7strng

Thank you Mr.Becker! I actually searched again and found that it was ATLAS manufacturing that produced the locos in question. The units produced were :WNYP 424 (In black /w yellow lettering), and LAL #421, and 424, also in black with Yellow lettering. They also manufacture the Seminole Gulf 550. The LAL wny&P Units are not being produced currently,They were a run in 2007. I believe you MAY be able to get your hands on the seminole yet this year though. I think I might move this post and star a railfan topic, but i found it relevant because it is about models of lal\wny&P units.

Mr. Becker,
If you could let this person know that I might be interested in eithe getting his units from him, or having him decorate an undecorated unit for me, that would be GREAT. I am new to the whole model railroading thing, and I want something from the area.. not some cluster of motive power from all different railroads.
 #584625  by kf7strng

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to get ahold of some of the HO scale models of Western New York and Pennsylvania Locomotives, Or Lavonia, Avon And lakeville? Unfortunately around my house that's all there is. I don't really see much Class 1 operations, (which when i do it's NS) What I mostly see are WNY&P units, along with SOME, well.. 5 HLCX units. WNY&P also has in their possesion a RAINBOW of locomotive power (ALL alco units though) units from Cartier Mining, Seminole Gulf(Only ONE #550),NYSW,M&E, RRPX Leasing,SIXX (#73 I believe, Now WNY&P #637??)

Anyway, my point is, I don't need someone saying, "Go to ______ .com and look there. I saw SOME of the units I want, but they were limited runs from ATLAS. And WHEN they ran those production lines, they were about $100, WITHOUT DCC! I am aware that it's possible to make your OWN models from widely available locos, and add locomotive specific parts to it to MAKE what you want, but I want the paint, the body style, the whole 9 yards, as they say. And I'd like to stay reletively CHEAP (Is $60-$70/unit asking too much? I see b23's going for about $35.. is that about right? Or are they just not popular?

ANYWAY.. Any information would be helpful!

Thanks again!
 #584772  by Otto Vondrak

I assume you're talking HO? Uh... either go to your favorite hobby shop or mail order house and buy the pre-decorated and ready-to-run Atlas units... yes, they cost money. Good models aren't cheap, and Atlas has went and done all the hard work for you.

OR... you can hunt around the train shows, hope to find an earlier run of Atlas undecorated Alcos (Probably still $60 t o $75 a pop), buy some black paint, buy some decals, and do it yourself. In the end, it will be a wash.

-otto-
 #584800  by blabey

We have been told that Atlas is in the process of doing a run on an ALCO RS1 painted as LAL No. 20. Reportedly the price is about $65-70. I thought LAL fans might like to know this. Check with your hobby shop or Atlas for exact details.
 #584910  by Dieter

...........Oh, for a WAHL BURGER to take trackside and watch those models sail by on a layout!
 #584997  by kf7strng

Otto, I don't believe they are doing the c424/425 units right now. Or else I WOULD go out and grab some at the hobby shop. I'm actually glad you chimed in. I do agree with you though, because i checked in to the undecorated 2424's and they run about $80-85 alone. SO... IF i can find some to buy i think I will do that. It's kindo of a pain to start model railroading around my area (Cameron County,PA) Because I have the WNY&P\LAL, the B&P,A&E(Possibly Acquired by the B&p??), and SOME NS action interchanging with the WNY&P's Buffalo Line @ North Driftwood. So... It makes it a challenge to make things look nice. I can't siimply get 2 or 3 conrail gp-38's and call them the DFT now, can I? That would save ALOT of money.. But it would be a cop-out, and it would really make mark me as a beginner. Heck, I even saw HLCX lease units in the Red\Blue scheme, like the WNY&P\LAL are using right now. Those are about $80 also, and I don't know if I want to add them to my layout until I can afford the "proper power". (Although that WOULD be appropriate, right?) Thats why LAL family has them, because they do not have enough Alcos. So, Maybe I WILL get them until I can acquire ALCO power.

Anyway, Thanks again, and on another note, Otto, you might have seen i started discussing this in the LAL\WNYP forum, but I have since started this one. i will direct further posts to this topic. Thanks!
 #585030  by apratt

This is a correction of your post on the LA&L forum about the engine numbers Atlas did. They are WNY&P 421, and LA&L 423 and 424. I have an extra #423 if you're interested.
 #585085  by Otto Vondrak

Ooooh, LAL 420 looks pretty....

Send Seminole Gulf 550 down to Lakeville!

LAL 424 would look great anywhere...

So would WNYP 421!

Ahh... now we await LAL 20...

#585095  by kf7strng

apratt: Thank you for the correction of the road numbers. And Is it 423 you have? And how much are you asking for it? Otto, I see you moved the topic, Thank you!, and Also thank you for rounding up those pictures. Those are EXACTLY what I have been looking for!
 #585203  by Otto Vondrak

kf7strng wrote:Anyway, my point is, I don't need someone saying, "Go to ______ .com and look there.
You're welcome, but I got them all from www.atlasrr.com, but since you said "Don't send me to any websites..." I was hesitant to show you them.
 #585795  by apratt

kf7strng wrote:apratt: Thank you for the correction of the road numbers. And Is it 423 you have? And how much are you asking for it? Otto, I see you moved the topic, Thank you!, and Also thank you for rounding up those pictures. Those are EXACTLY what I have been looking for!
I have sent you a PM regarding #423, as there's no need to continue that part of the discussion in the forum.
 #585964  by kf7strng

Sorry Otto! I know that those locos minus the seminole, and the new 2009 model switcher were past production runs, but have you, or anyone else tried to get atlas to make a "one-off" of a past model? I can't even begint to list all of the sites I have looked at for buying the units in the pictures. Some are though :internettrains.com,atlasrr.com,wholesaletrains(i believe)and a host of others. So, mainly what I was looking for with that comment was somone likt apratt saying "I have one." Or somone could say "Niagra Hobby" in Buffalo has them"(I remember looking at their website but not seeing it listed. Any more help in locating the other units would be helpful, thanks!!