Railroad Forums 

• Looking for LAL engines in HO

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#586740  by scharnhorst

All these units are being released in N Scale if anyone is looking for them in a smaller scale. The RS 1 was released earlier in the year??. But the Century units are due out any time now!
 #586904  by umtrr-author

Returning to the topic of finding these locos after release-- it's getting more difficult. It's my understanding that Atlas and others are producing very close to the pre-order numbers with few extras. In addition, despite the affection for the LA&L on this forum :-D it's not as well known as other roadnames and I would speculate that means fewer pre-orders.

I don't like it either, but "you snooze you lose" is becoming a more appropriate saying in model railroading. My soft metric is how much new vs. old material is available at train shows. There's not nearly as much that was on pre-order only as there is the same old same old from years gone by.

There are those who don't pre order (myself among them, generally) but I think that it's getting harder to take that chance. Patience can be rewarded with units well below MSRP in the aftermarket, to be sure, but I believe it'll take a lot more patience than it used to.
 #587464  by kf7strng

Thank you Sir. I belive I overlooked that while browsing the website. Otto did mention it, but i see the "Estimated delivery" date is next month, nd from what another user said, atlas is, or was "making exact pre-order amounts, or very close to the pre-order amount." Which translates to if you DON'T pre-order, chances are slim that you are getting one.

Once again, thank you to everyone for their continued support
 #587465  by Otto Vondrak

kf7strng wrote:Any word on if you can call atlas and have them make a one off? That would be nice.
Wait a second... didn't you say:
kf7strng wrote: And I'd like to stay reletively CHEAP (Is $60-$70/unit asking too much?)
And you want to inquire with Atlas about making a custom one-off for you? I think you're pulling our leg, sir! :-)

-otto-
 #587580  by scharnhorst

best thing to do would be to just get a nickle plate road loco and reletter and number it won't that work?? The paint jobs are almost close to a match.
 #587734  by sjl

In addition to the info on the hobby shop in Webster NY having one, Mainine Hobby Suply is currently listing LAL # 424 on their website. $99.99. (717) 794-2860 (easier than a website!!)

sjl

DISCLAIMER: i work there....
 #588246  by Otto Vondrak

scharnhorst wrote:best thing to do would be to just get a nickle plate road loco and reletter and number it won't that work?? The paint jobs are almost close to a match.
The only thing that was painted with Nickel Plate wide nose stripes was the Ontario Central RS-36 before it was rebuilt and repainted by LAL.

-otto-
 #588596  by umtrr-author

kf7strng wrote:Thank you Sir. I belive I overlooked that while browsing the website. Otto did mention it, but i see the "Estimated delivery" date is next month, nd from what another user said, atlas is, or was "making exact pre-order amounts, or very close to the pre-order amount." Which translates to if you DON'T pre-order, chances are slim that you are getting one.
That was me on the pre-order quantity comment. Estimated delivery date, as you probably know, is not the time to pre-order; the window closes on that several months prior.

It won't be impossible to get a unit that's not pre-ordered, but I think it will be more difficult. I would imagine that your best bet is a hobby shop that pre-orders a few on the speculation that they'll sell when seen. The LA&L is simply not going to have the wide appeal of a Class 1 line, though, and I think that means a lot fewer of these were made.

MB Klein, one of the larger mail order and retail model railroading stores, recently took a position of not accepting pre-orders. Apparently they're just going to bring in what they think will sell. It will be interesting to see how that works out. Meanwhile they might be a source for those of us who don't pre-order.