• "Patriot Corridor"

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by PT1101

I was just wondering if anyone has heard this phrase lately. It allegedly refers to a joint Pan Am/NS operational and refurbishment plan concerning the line from Mechanicville to Boston. I know the whole "NS/Pan Am buyout" has been discussed ad naseum, and I'm not trying to reopen that. I've heard that the new timetable will reflect some sort of joint NS/Pan Am inspired logo. (Some people I've spoken with have mentioned that the Minuteman icon may make a return). This "corridor", from what I understand, is supposed to revitalize auto and intermodal traffic. I know that the CSX Boston Line is in jeopardy of losing some van traffic, and that their Automotive Business Unit is concerend about how the auto rack trains are being handled. If anyone can share any information, I would be deeply grateful.

Thank you.

by johnpbarlow

A few years back, NS announced "Patriot Service" that used 48' trailers and 48'/53' containers for intermodal service between southern/western points such as KC, Atlanta, Memphis, Greensboro, & St Louis and any location in CT, RI, and MA. IIRC, the nb/eb trailer/container was unloaded in NJ and "rubbered" to New England destination. Here's a URL to a NS spreadsheet detailing the service:

http://www.nscorp.com/intermodal/ShowDo ... 060104.xls

I see NS also has a new service going by a name that will bring a chill to any New Enlander's heart, "Nor'easter", which is an eb private trailer service from Chicago to various pts east, including Boston, and Atlanta to NJ.

http://www.nscorp.com/intermodal/ShowDo ... easter.pdf

by MEC407

Definitely an interesting concept -- and, in my opinion, more plausible than an outright purchase of the B&M. Look forward to hearing more about it, if it's true.

by CN9634

After much research on the NS website I didn't find anything you mentioned about that (Not saying it would be on the website either but its a good place to look.). However I did find a similar article which is just as interesting, and it has to do with part of what you spoke about. This article speaks about the revitalization of auto and intermodal traffic.
  by cpf354

PT1101 wrote:I was just wondering if anyone has heard this phrase lately. It allegedly refers to a joint Pan Am/NS operational and refurbishment plan concerning the line from Mechanicville to Boston. I know the whole "NS/Pan Am buyout" has been discussed ad naseum, and I'm not trying to reopen that. I've heard that the new timetable will reflect some sort of joint NS/Pan Am inspired logo. (Some people I've spoken with have mentioned that the Minuteman icon may make a return). This "corridor", from what I understand, is supposed to revitalize auto and intermodal traffic. I know that the CSX Boston Line is in jeopardy of losing some van traffic, and that their Automotive Business Unit is concerend about how the auto rack trains are being handled. If anyone can share any information, I would be deeply grateful.

Thank you.
Mechanicville to Ayer, I think. Would most likely be a marketing program for existing intermodal service at Ayer and adding autorack service to the still vacant parcel at the Willows, just east of Ayer, that has long been rumoured as a potential auto unloading facility. Sounds very plausible, as NS has a direct investment in intermodal at Ayer (Devens) and should be looking to expand auto service into New England.

by kilroy3488

This is no rumor....I've seen a ballcap from a railroad offical with the new logo on it.....the last OCS had Mellon and the CEO of NS on it and they signed a deal.......Mechanicville with become the new home to a intermodal and auto yard sometime in the spring.....NS wants out of Kenwood(Albany) because it's too small......CP is also a parnter in this deal.......

Rob

by roberttosh

They are calling this arrangement a "Joint Venture" and wanted to have an announcement by years end. I was told recently that there were still some minor issues that need to be negotiated, so am glad to hear that it's been signed. I think the days of the West end being a 10 MPH railroad may be coming to an end soon....

by Gary Young

roberttosh wrote:They are calling this arrangement a "Joint Venture" and wanted to have an announcement by years end. I was told recently that there were still some minor issues that need to be negotiated, so am glad to hear that it's been signed. I think the days of the West end being a 10 MPH railroad may be coming to an end soon....
""Where you been.It has not been 10 MPH in a long time.Except one small area.

by johnpbarlow

So maybe unlike the "Meridian Speedway" joint venture with KCS, NS / PAR couldn't call this the "Patriot Speedway!" ;-)

by newpylong

Gary Young wrote:
roberttosh wrote:They are calling this arrangement a "Joint Venture" and wanted to have an announcement by years end. I was told recently that there were still some minor issues that need to be negotiated, so am glad to hear that it's been signed. I think the days of the West end being a 10 MPH railroad may be coming to an end soon....

Sure it has been... only in the last few months did they go on a Blitzkrieg and iron out the 10's. The only 10's left on the Fitchburg that aren't permanent are between Tyter's and Wright's (almost 10 miles) due to wide gauge. I'm hearing they have a little deal going with NS where if GTI spends some, NS will spend some too...

That said, the most accurate idea I've gotten out of the NS thing is a joint NS/CP/ST auto/intermodal yard in Mechanicville (The Albany Terminal RR???) with ST getting switching rights. NS wants out of Kenwood as mentioned earlier.

If more freight gets moving over the west end, things are going to heat up. Sounds good...

by roberttosh

Back in the late summer I followed a train from Deerfield to Gardner and if it went any faster than 10 MPH the whole way I certainly didn't see it.

by CN9634

So we're probably gonna see some west end changes. As I frequently ask with these sorts of things, do we see any changes occuring on the east side of the line?

by roberttosh

The Joint Venture is Ayer West, so yes, there will be changes on the Fitchburg as far East as Ayer.

by super7cr

The above link that CN 9634 posted has nothing to do with anything in the northeast that I can see. There is no mention of a major investment on Norfolk Southern's part in that presentation.

If I recall correctly, the originations of what is now PAR's District 4 date back to the idea of creating competition with what was then NYC's Boston & Albany Railroad running between it's namesake cities.

If NS does make an investment in this project, CSX has real reason to fear heavy competition. With NS, when they invest their resources into something, it's usually followed by an extremely successful marketing plan.