• "Patriot Corridor"

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

super7cr wrote:The above link that CN 9634 posted has nothing to do with anything in the northeast that I can see. There is no mention of a major investment on Norfolk Southern's part in that presentation.

If I recall correctly, the originations of what is now PAR's District 4 date back to the idea of creating competition with what was then NYC's Boston & Albany Railroad running between it's namesake cities.

If NS does make an investment in this project, CSX has real reason to fear heavy competition. With NS, when they invest their resources into something, it's usually followed by an extremely successful marketing plan.
That's correct as I stated in my first post. Perhaps this is such a new agreement that it didn't make it into that report. I'll keep my eyes peeled on nscorp.net to see if I can find any documents.

I agree, CSX might get a good run for its money.

by super7cr

Unfortunately, however, for NS & PAR, irregardless of what some people may have to say about CSX's performance, if this was to happen and what they are thinking is to move UPS business from Worcester to Ayer, CSX can still get a train from Chicago to Worcester or any location close to Boston over 16 hours faster than the NS/D&H/PAR could get a train to Ayer or any location close to Boston. The weak link is the PAR, their infrastructure cannot support high priority freight.

They would have to take a serious hit on pricing to compete with CSX. I just cannot see UPS taking a day's hit on their cargo in the name of saving a few dollars...

by roberttosh

super7cr wrote:Unfortunately, however, for NS & PAR, irregardless of what some people may have to say about CSX's performance, if this was to happen and what they are thinking is to move UPS business from Worcester to Ayer, CSX can still get a train from Chicago to Worcester or any location close to Boston over 16 hours faster than the NS/D&H/PAR could get a train to Ayer or any location close to Boston. The weak link is the PAR, their infrastructure cannot support high priority freight.

They would have to take a serious hit on pricing to compete with CSX. I just cannot see UPS taking a day's hit on their cargo in the name of saving a few dollars...
I thought the same thing about Hunt and Schneider, yet PAR has almost all of that traffic now up in Ayer. Granted UPS is a bit more time sensitive, but I could still see PAR/NS getting anything that's not high priority.

by roberttosh

I heard second hand that PAR employees are already openly talking about the fact that their paychecks are soon going to be coming from this NS joint venture company.

by Gary Young

roberttosh wrote:I heard second hand that PAR employees are already openly talking about the fact that their paychecks are soon going to be coming from this NS joint venture company.
"""Gees I haven't heard that yet about the pay checks.I do know it is a joint venture.I started that joint venture on my site to discribe the action that was started between NS and PanAm.But pay checks I thing that is ,well.
Let me tell you something,NO person knows what is going to happen yet at lest not railfans or RR workers on any site.LOL.

by MEC407

For the most part, it doesn't really matter who or where the paychecks come from, as long as the employees get paid. They're still employees of Springfield Terminal Railway Co. That hasn't changed, and I doubt that it will change.

by newpylong

roberttosh wrote:I heard second hand that PAR employees are already openly talking about the fact that their paychecks are soon going to be coming from this NS joint venture company.
Don't think that could legally happen. The paychecks come from the ST. The employees work for the ST due to their collective bargaining agreement (which is due to expire this year). They can change the DBA (like Guilford Rail System or Pan Am or whatever). It's still the ST paying and operating them.

BUT I could be wrong.

by mick

If NS bought GRS/PAR
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

by SLR 393

Why would the ST lease end? Why wouldn't it be left in place as an existing contract, same as if you bought a company that was renting its building? Is there some kind of sunset provision in the ST deal that says if B&M or whatever gets sold that it reverts?

by MEC407

ST is a BM subsidiary... if you bought BM, wouldn't you also be buying ST?

On the other hand, would it be plausible for Pan Am to "sell" ST to MEC, making ST a MEC subsidiary, and therefore not part of any BM sale?

They did stuff like that with motive power quite a bit in the past... sell a few MEC locos to DH, sell a few DH locos to MEC, sell a few BM locos to ST, sell a few DH locos to BM, etc. Mellon still owned the same deck of cards; they were just shuffled differently.

by mick

It has to do with the Railway Labor Act
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Otto Vondrak

Any sale of Springfield Terminal/Guilford would require Mellon to open the financial books for the accountants to examine (due dilligance before merger or acquisition) and that would NEVER happen. Two things Mellon will never do: expose his face or his railroad's financials (they're probably both ugly! HA)!

Funny how talk of this always swings to the doomsday scenario. We should get together with the Susquehanna Forum, everyone there is convinced NYSW is shutting down and merged out of existence because some new locos showed up. ;-)

Let's stick to the discussion of the NS investment in the Patriot Corridor, please? As such, I don't see how NS's investment changes anything except removing some slow orders and beefing up the infrastructure.

-otto-

by MEC407

mick wrote:You can speculate all you want, but that's what they are going to do.

Who is "they" and what is it that they're going to do?

by NHN503

MEC407 wrote:
mick wrote:You can speculate all you want, but that's what they are going to do.

Who is "they" and what is it that they're going to do?
The men in the black unmarked helicopters...duh :wink: :P

by mick

"They"
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.