Railroad Forums 

• NS Management Promotion Question

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#460073  by musicmarine

I was wondering if someone could give me the scoop on what it takes to move from Conductor to Trainmaster. I have a bachlor's degree and I just got hired on as a conductor. I figure I should learn that job before worring about it, but just trying to look into the future. I would really like to move into management after a while.

Thanks!!

#460201  by jgallaway81

The NSMA... Norfolk Southern Management Assesment.

Just as a point to consider. They WILL NOT let you work as a manager in the area you worked as a train crew.

If you want to go the management route, look into it now before you get compfy with the train crew pay and stuff cause there is a true culture shock in changing ranks.

good luck.

#460227  by musicmarine

How do you mean culture shock? Is the pay drastically less as a manager. I noticed on the website that Management trainees start at 51,000 or so, should I expect to make more than that as train crew?

Thanks for the info.
Onsby Rose

#460293  by jgallaway81

Train crews can make more, yes. It all depends on how much you want to work.

#460301  by LCJ

The long-term earning potential for managers is greater by far.

#460392  by gp80mac

Just make sure you have room in your brain for the implant. Managers are salaried (with bonus potential), but also have no HOS. And they are even more tied to their phones than the ranks are.

If you want to be a trainmaster, I would try NOW before you establish seniority (if you haven't already) or wait until years later. They seem to like to hire people with no other place to go. If you have seniority, you an always go back to the ground (and many have) once you get sick of getting it from the top AND bottom.

#460438  by SooLineRob

Another item to consider:

I was informed that NS front line supervisors, such as Trainmasters, DO NOT receive relocation benefits.

Most Class 1's assist their supervisors when they relocate to another area. They are allowed hotel rooms/temporary lodging, time off to look at new homes with their spouse/family, and are "made whole" if their new home costs more to purchase than the equivalent home they've sold.

I was told NS is unique among the Class 1's, they DO NOT give ANY assistance when their low-level managers are relocated.

They could be working in Harrisburg, PA, and with one phone call, they could be transfered to Elkhart, IN, and must "pay their own way" to get there, sell/buy homes, etc..

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

But LCJ is right ... when comparing a first-year Trainmaster to a 5+ year crew member, T&E earns more with a "better" lifestyle; but LONG TERM, managers will do alot better for themselves and family.

#460447  by LCJ

Taken from the NS website concerning Transportation Management Training positions:
NSCorp.com wrote:Compensation and Benefits

The salary for trainees is $51,000, with the opportunity to participate in the corporate bonus program. NS also offers a benefit package the includes:

Medical, dental and life insurance
Retirement and savings plans
Relocation assistance
Tuition assistance
I'm certain that NS is no different from other Class Is in this regard. They offer benefits that are competitive with other companies. Relocation packages have changed a lot over the years so that they are not as generous as they once were. But they do provide significant "assistance" with relocation expenses.

UP offers two different packages -- one for new employees who move for their first assignment, and one for established employees who relocate for the company. The latter package is more generous by far, mostly in that it offers the home sale assistance. My guess is that NS has a similar set up.
Last edited by LCJ on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#460449  by musicmarine

Actually, I can go ahead and deny that. The website specifically states that relo assist is given to management trainees. I got invited to a first round interview for Managment before I hired out as a conductor and they went over all the benefits. Specfically the relocation.

1. They will purchase you house if it does not sell after 60 days on the market. Apparently they put it on an NS website for other employees that are moving into the are.
2. They didn't specifically mention hotel or anything like that but they did state a ton of bennies that are given when management is asked to relocate.