Railroad Forums 

• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1624116  by Jeff Smith

Donations Needed: https://railfan.com/new-york-central-hi ... electrics/
New York Central Historical Society Launches Fundraiser to Save Rare Electrics

The New York Central System Historical Society has launched a fundraiser to try and help move two rare electric locomotives to the Danbury Railway Museum in Connecticut.

The Danbury Railway Museum has owned NYC S-1 6000 and T-3a 278 since 2013 but has struggled to move them from their current location at an old power plant near Albany, N.Y. Last year, the locomotives were threatened by the scrapper’s torch, but at the last minute, the museum was able to drag the motors out of the way of a coming development. However, that development is continuing to be built and the locomotives will soon have to leave the area entirely.

In order to help raise the money for that move, the NYCSHS has kicked off a fundraiser for the Danbury group and will match any gift up to $5,000, for a total of $10,000. Donations can be made through the group’s website.
 #1630559  by nessman

Update from August... huh... they might actually do it after all!

Pictures here:
https://www.facebook.com/DanburyRR/post ... hhyPub9x3l

The Danbury Railway Museum

News from Glenmont!

The site around the two historic New York Central electric locomotives has been prepared for their trip home to Danbury. A sea of compacted stone surrounds them, providing the perfect bedding for a crane and heavy haul trucks. Donated matting is on site for additional crane stability. The access road on which the locomotives will leave is complete, and contracts to move the locomotives are being finalized.

Fundraising is still going strong!

The Don & Judy Spiro Fund recently awarded the museum a generous $10,000 grant towards saving America's historic locomotives! The New York Central System Historical Society recently held a matching fundraising campaign, and thanks to their members and donors it brought in over $10,000!

The Museum extends its most sincere thanks to everyone that has supported this project since its inception.

For those that wish to donate to the project, please visit the below link and select “NYCS Electrics”:

https://danburyrailway.square.site/product/donate/2

Donations can also be mailed to:
P.O. Box 90
Danbury, CT 06813
 #1632500  by jurtz

The NY electrics are off the island!

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... ves-moved/

From the article:

"Two historic New York Central electric locomotives, saved last year after long facing a threat of scrapping, have been moved from their site on an Island in the Hudson River after more than three decades, the Danbury Railway Museum has announced. The museum released a photo today of the locomotives on flatbed trucks, as well as a statement saying that after 36 years on Beacon Island, the Class S-1 and Class T-3a locomotives “have been moved off the site and are currently sitting on private property."
 #1632502  by nessman

I'll admit - I was the biggest critic of this. If it wasn't for the construction project and new haul road, this never would have happened. But it did. I'm humbled and impressed with the efforts to make it happen.

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'
A-we gonna do what they say can't be done

And they did it!
Attachments:
399228696_18093067060372874_707842572323411410_n.jpg
399228696_18093067060372874_707842572323411410_n.jpg (299.68 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

Re:

#1632825  by SST

Alcoman wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:23 pm I have just learned that some plans have been made to rescue some of the equipment....Good News to hear!
This is the second posting from 2007. I guess he was right!
 #1632830  by nessman

SST wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:17 am
Alcoman wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:23 pm I have just learned that some plans have been made to rescue some of the equipment....Good News to hear!
This is the second posting from 2007. I guess he was right!
16 years later and a LOT of patience, wishing and hoping.
 #1632841  by nessman

eolesen wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:30 am Curious what the recovery tab wound up being.
I saw $160,000 being batted around somewhere... but not sure if that's just for the crane/rigging work just to get them on the flatbeds? There was also a cost for sidebooms to move them 200 feet to a temporary storage area on the site (one article said $90,000 for that?). Then there's cost to transport to Danbury - and once there, crane/rigging to get them onto a siding and reassembled.

I'm guessing $250,000-300,000 when all is said and done. Which is a bargain compared to what it would cost to get them out of there, intact, if it weren't for the factory project underway now.
 #1642841  by nessman

Ironically enough... the wind tower project for that site has been cancelled. It'll remain in a "shovel ready" state for the foreseeable future.
Three and a half years ago, local politicians and business boosters cheered news that the Port of Albany, about nine miles north of Coeymans, would host a turnkey factory for the construction of the massive steel towers that support the offshore turbines to be used in Equinor’s projects.

But a year later, port officials said the costs of building the factory had grown from early estimates of $350 million to $604 million. For now, the site is prepared and shovel-ready, but no construction has started due to a lack of funds.
https://www.timesunion.com/business/art ... 415714.php