Railroad Forums 

• Raritan River Railroad- Sayreville- New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#360124  by prclinda

Can anyone tell me when the railroad tracks were removed from this Railroad in Sayreville, New Jersey- Conrail took over in the 80's but I think the railroad tracks were removed in the 60's or 70's- If you have an exact date please let me know. Thank you.

#360323  by TBRED

The tracks are still intact and used in Sayreville Jct.(Parlin) thru the Browns Yard conn.at Gillespie(ex Sunshine Biscuit track).Conrail did major work of the line @1984(?) removing unused sidings and replacing mainline track.
Most of the yards were removed around the time of the merger(shared assets) but the main was left intact up to the Pheonix branch and as far west to North Brunswick area. You can pick up more info and history at RaritanRiver-RR.com.
 #360383  by CJPat

prclinda wrote:Can anyone tell me when the railroad tracks were removed from this Railroad in Sayreville, New Jersey- Conrail took over in the 80's but I think the railroad tracks were removed in the 60's or 70's- If you have an exact date please let me know. Thank you.
I am guessing that prclinda might be referencing the branch track that used to come off the Coastline at Bordentown Ave in South Amboy and cut under the Garden State Parkway about a 1/4 mile south of the remaining toll plaza. It appeared to serve the industries to on the west side of the GSP. I remember seeing the track down there below the overpass and then one day it was gone leaving an ugly clay scar (not even ballast remaining). I thought maybe it was pulled in the late '80's. Looking at Google Earth, there still appears to be a branch of track that comes up from the Raritan River RR on the west side of the GSP that serves the industries and the Wastewater plant along the river.

As I look at the ROW in South Amboy, there appears to be a housing development constructed on George St between Feltus St South and South Pine Ave.

#360640  by TBRED

CJ- Right about that,most folks who bought houses have no idea that the ROW went straight thru their living rooms!One fella didn't believe until we showed him a photo of a wreck with the loco and tender lying in what is now his back yard.The remains of the shops and roundhouse are still discernible at the bottom of Stevens Ave,as well as the red bridge at Bergen Hill just above Deep Cut.

#360651  by Jtgshu

I think BigC posted a pic of the enigne change in South Amboy around 1982 or 83 or so, and it shows the RRRR connection still intact with the Coast Line just west of Bordentown Ave - how far it went still intact, well thats a good question!!!

As a side note, the siding there west of Bordentown Ave OH bridge, starting at Rare and heading around the curve towards Morgan is still called the "Raritan River Interchange Track"

#360663  by umtrr-author

I moved to Western New York in 1989 and sometime before then, I don't recall when, my dad and I had the chance to visit the shops area. We were given a few souvenirs by the staff there, as it was post-Conrail and it was clear that the end was near for the little line.

Much of the trackage is still in use, as has been noted here and in other threads, but somehow it's not the same. :(

#360683  by TBRED

Much of the trackage is still in use, as has been noted here and in other threads, but somehow it's not the same
Not somehow...............just not

#360775  by carajul

If I'm not mistaken, the Rt 1 bridge over the RRRR is being removed and will forever prohibit the line from going past Silverline Windows into New Brunswick. No customers in NB anyway. Although the Squibb plant could be a major customer if they ever did manufacturing there again.

#360821  by transit383

carajul wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the Rt 1 bridge over the RRRR is being removed and will forever prohibit the line from going past Silverline Windows into New Brunswick. No customers in NB anyway. Although the Squibb plant could be a major customer if they ever did manufacturing there again.
Here is the link to that article and thread

I wouldn't expect this project to start until the NJ-18 reconstruction through New Brunswick and the US-1 widening from I-287 to the GSP are complete though. So its still likely a few years off...