Railroad Forums 

• Little Rascals Episode- Filmed at ATSF Redondo Jct.???

• For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
 #356581  by DrawbarFlats

Perhaps someone could help me out.

A friend mentioned to me that a Little Rascals episode (Little Railroaders???) was filmed in part at the old ATSF Redondo Jct. roundhouse back in the late 20's or early 30's. Any truth to this?

If so, does this episode exist?

I have been told that this episode has a lot of ATSF footage and that actual ATSF employees of that era can be seen working in and around the old roundhouse in the background during filming.

I work for BNSF at Los Angeles as an engineer and am a big fan of the early Santa Fe history in and around Socal.

Any info on the above would be greatly appreciated. I am currently modeling both Redondo Jct. roundhouse and Redondo Jct. Interlocking tower. I have some copies of original trackage blueprints of that area including the roundhouse and any additional info would be a great help. Also, does actual motion picture footage exist of the roundhouse during the early years?

Thanks!!!

#356614  by slchub

I recall an episode back in the 70's either on KTTV (channel 11) or KTLA (channel 5) with that scenario. Can't say for sure if it was RJ, but Hal Roach filmed plenty of the Our Gang episodes in and around the LA basin. Makes me want to see an old Cal Worthington and his dog Spot commercial again.

See this link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020307/

#356672  by mainetrain

The episode, "Pups is Pups" had alot of footage of the puppies running around freight cars. Always wondered where that was filmed. Wheezer would ring a bell to attract the attention of the puppies, then the bell atop a steamer would clang and attract the puppies back into the yard.

#357470  by NS212

Drawbar, yes this episode does exist, It is called railroadin' I believe. Don't remember much but I'm sure this is what you're referring to.

#357786  by TB Diamond

"Railroadin" it was. Filmed in April, 1929. The roundhouse seen in the film was at the ATSF yard, Washington Blvd. & Santa Fe Ave., Los Angeles.

#358102  by DrawbarFlats

Thanks for the replies everyone!!! Great help!