Railroad Forums 

• Starting Job with NS...need advice

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#322263  by Bluegardenia

As a career change in mid-life I applied and was offered the Conductor's job with NS. I passed the background check and medical-drug exams and will be going to Ga. very soon to do phase I of the training. I was in my past job for over 21 years. I am squared away and willing to work at anytime and will dilegently learn my job. From reading the posts on this forum, it appears I may have made a bad deciscion to work for NS as I am reading a lot of negative posts. Initially I feared nothing as I have always been a good worker and have had good relations with my employers. Would someone who works for NS, Engineer or Conductor please reply to this post or PM me and fill me in on the reality of working as a conductor on NS. I am a humble guy and want to put my best foot forward and be a success at this. I have one more kid to put through college and this job is a serious matter for me. Thank You!

#322274  by NS212

Where are you going to be working out of?

#322689  by extra-man

Bluegardenia,please check your Private Messsages.
 #322820  by Bluegardenia

A big thank you to NS-212 and Extra-Man for their PM's and good advice. Although brand new to the RR job it looks like I already have some good friends here!

#330502  by TBRED

Bluegardenia,little late, but again check your PM.....

#331312  by n01jd1

Dont let anyone know you are a buff. At least not untill you are over probation and in the union.

#331593  by TBRED

Even if you are a buff,don't act like a superbuff, now that your doing what you used to get wood over and realize it's actually a job with rules and so forth,you'll end up running your mouth,lying and trashing everything you ever dreamed about because this ain't Lionels' anymore. The two sides can co-exist nicely if your patient and mature enough.