Railroad Forums 

• SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1617053  by JohnFromJersey

AceMacSD wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:57 am Saw their operation on Sunday. There's potential, should another more financially stable, operation come in and salvage what they're neglecting.
Maybe a certain operator off the Southern could be of interest in the future for the operation
WashingtonPark wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:26 pm Was told it was a freight car taken to Swedesboro. SMS has been running caboose hops on some weekends Swedesboro to Mannington.
What's a caboose hop???
 #1617070  by pdtrains

CMSL, imho, has been a labor or love to try to keep a part of the PRSL alive. Kudos for what they have done, as a lot more of the PRSL would be dust by now without their efforts.

Biut they have been severely undercapitalized from the beginning, which is not unusual, when someone has a dream or a mission, and then tries to fund it. You have to be prepared to lose a lot of money if your building a shortline with little or no freight traffic to begin with.

It would be nice if SMS, oe someone else with deep pockets could eventually take over the CMSL and preserve the PRSL Heritage. I believe they have several of the PRSL RDC's and i believe the 2 GP-38 leassers are ex-PRSL units. Seems that if they had the money, they would have bought the units, or at least repainted them to PRSL.

Hoping for the best for the future.
 #1617071  by David

CSML has 8 of the original 12 RDCs. Two were burned up in Camden in the 50s. One destroyed in the Berlin area at a road crossing and the last one is still used in New York.
 #1617072  by JohnFromJersey

I believe CMSL/NJSL has been in better financial straits recently. A lot of litigation cases involving CMSL have been dropped recently, per information I've seen on other threads here.

That being said, not having a direct connection to Cape May hurts them, especially with the broken draw bridge continuing to deteriorate year after year

If a company with deeper pockets took over CMSL, chances are they would take a much more profit-focused approach instead of a preservation-focused approach, and probably axe some of the lines. But, I could be wrong.
 #1617073  by Bracdude181

Additionally, the amount of cars being stored in the Corbin City area has increased dramatically. We’re talking hundreds of cars. There’s a daily fee for those cars to sit there. I think it’s $7 a day per car? Something like that.

CMSL has also been running more revenue freight between Winslow and Tuckahoe since they got the line. At least twice a week lately whereas Conrail only ran as needed once the coal trains stopped running.

I could see them getting the Pleasantville IT if SRNJ went bust, but they’d have to acquire the M420s SRNJ uses for freight or take the PTC out of those and put them in their current engines. Additionally, I’m not sure if any of their crews are qualified to go down NJT.

I also think they’d at least make an attempt to bring back the stone trains or get some additional traffic on the line. SRNJ seems very reluctant to search for new business or provide reasonable service to certain customers.

Then again, what about this Mid Atlantic Gateway company who is currently attempting to lease part of the Pleasantville IT from SRNJ for… whatever it is they intend to do. They are a fairly new company. Could they get the track if SRNJ went bust?
 #1617074  by pdtrains

Oops..sorry I got my respone for CMSL under the SRRNJ thread. Moderator....if u want to relocate the CMSL responses to the correct thread..pls do.
 #1617076  by Railcar1

pdtrains wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:31 pm CMSL, imho, has been a labor or love to try to keep a part of the PRSL alive. Kudos for what they have done, as a lot more of the PRSL would be dust by now without their efforts.

Biut they have been severely undercapitalized from the beginning, which is not unusual, when someone has a dream or a mission, and then tries to fund it. You have to be prepared to lose a lot of money if your building a shortline with little or no freight traffic to begin with.

It would be nice if SMS, oe someone else with deep pockets could eventually take over the CMSL and preserve the PRSL Heritage. I believe they have several of the PRSL RDC's and i believe the 2 GP-38 leassers are ex-PRSL units. Seems that if they had the money, they would have bought the units, or at least repainted them to PRSL.

Hoping for the best for the future.
They have ex PC 2011, now the 2661 and 2012, now the 2014 which were supposed to be PRSL until PC went bankrupt.
 #1617078  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:56 pm Additionally, the amount of cars being stored in the Corbin City area has increased dramatically. We’re talking hundreds of cars. There’s a daily fee for those cars to sit there. I think it’s $7 a day per car? Something like that.

CMSL has also been running more revenue freight between Winslow and Tuckahoe since they got the line. At least twice a week lately whereas Conrail only ran as needed once the coal trains stopped running.

I could see them getting the Pleasantville IT if SRNJ went bust, but they’d have to acquire the M420s SRNJ uses for freight or take the PTC out of those and put them in their current engines. Additionally, I’m not sure if any of their crews are qualified to go down NJT.

I also think they’d at least make an attempt to bring back the stone trains or get some additional traffic on the line. SRNJ seems very reluctant to search for new business or provide reasonable service to certain customers.

Then again, what about this Mid Atlantic Gateway company who is currently attempting to lease part of the Pleasantville IT from SRNJ for… whatever it is they intend to do. They are a fairly new company. Could they get the track if SRNJ went bust?
M420s? I've never seen those. What days and times does SRNJ usually run? I want to try and catch some of those sometime.

And where does the Pleasantville IT start and end?
 #1617079  by Bracdude181

M420s were made by Montreal Locomotive Works and have alco motors in them. Very strange engines.

All SRNJ trains run at complete random. Pleasantville IT is served at least once a week and starts near Atlantic City.