• The 470 Railroad Club (Equipment and Activities)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by steamer69

Reader#108 wrote:Canna-you definitely have the baffle them with bulls*it part down for sure....Is there anywhere on this thread where they said it was going to be an easy task to fix....
Whats your problem Bill? You guys insist on crapping on anyone who tries to put a dose of reality into this conversation. You guys imply that it will, and you do it all the time. So now your going to crap on Canna because he put up an awesome and spot on presentation on locomotive restoration from a group that HAS RESTORED locomotives to a group who's restored.....um.....wait, 501.....no, well there was the.....
What locomotives have you and 470 done? JACK SQUAT!!!!!! U guys can't even take care of what ya got let alone take on Frankinengine, which is a mammoth project. Take a chill pill on Canna
Reader#108 wrote:It kills me when foamer jack-but clowns come on to railroad forums and start spreading stupidity.....
Hello Pot, This is kettle. Newsflash....you're a foamer too. You chase trains and take pictures....drooling all the way......
Reader#108 wrote:Do you honestly think that either the Club has no idea what needs to be done?
So far....the 470 HAS NO CLUE!!!!! What have they....not someone else....THEY restored? SQUAT!!!! They can't do any of it on their own, and they can't even keep running what they've all ready had done. NOPE....THEY HAVE NOT A CLUE IN THE WORLD!!!!! Proof is in the pudding. And in terms of asking when he's going to go and present it....why don't YOU present it since you know so much about locomotive restoration. Time for the 470 and it's members to pop the pacifier out of the mouth, grow up, and take care of their stuff. Not get mad at everyone else for not doing it for them.
  by jaymac

I know I have little background in the obviously complex history of The 470 Railroad Club (Equipment and Activities) and absolutely no financial or psychic stake in its outcomes, but I would like to take the opportunity to thank those individuals whose particular efforts on this thread have helped so much in getting me to believe that I may just actually be a reasonable and rational individual.

(Mods:
If this seems a post lacking in moderation, please delete and take whatever other actions you deem appropriate.
)
  by steamer69

You're welcome.
  by Reader#108

It's not about crapping on Canna----

It's about poo pooing the way that it is gone about..........

As a member, I certainly appreciate the fact that they are trying to restore their equipment.

When you post a video like that to the club with those comments attached to it.....

Smoke em if you got em, etc etc....alla Robert Parrish 1992...........that is basically saying...

"Hello to the 470 and its members......you obviously don't know sh*t about what you are trying to do, so

me, Mr. Railroad, has put this nice video together for you so you can figure out what it is that you are doing."

I would love to see a quote from anywhere that says......

"Well, we bought the 1757 from NHN, and we are gonna swap out the engine and primemover, put in some batteries,

polish the front lights, fire up the number boards, and off to Crawford Depot we go."

Perhaps I read to far into the posts.....there where 2 of them, and I did enjoy the video.......but there is nothing anywhere

stating that this swap was gonna be as easy as taking the hood off of one and putting it on the other........just doesn't happen that way.

I will apologize ahead of time for being frank I guess.....
  by steamer69

reader#108 wrote:and I did enjoy the video
What video? Maybe I missed something.

I'll take a look at the video, then respond to the rest of your post.
  by Reading 900

Good to see Mr. Frye's video presentation on the diesel and steam restoration, from the perspective of a man who is actually doing the work on the E8. It is tedious work that sometimes seems to never end. It uses cubic $$$ and just as cubic man-hours. Here's a link to the IRM decapod re-rebuild (15 yr) work being done, what tools have to be built to make the part, to then install, etc.
Engine was taken out of service for another problem, put all back together and steamed, FRA was ok, then a small crack in the firebox corner was found, engine then out of service. 15 yr was only a year away so take it all apart, cut out firebox corner, make new part, fit, weld, install, inspect, then put everything back together after building a tube swager, and did I mention getting the 6 ton McCabe flanger working again. And the beat goes on. But it is being done and it will be back in service hopefully this year. A small crack (which did have to be addressed) will take a year of very hard work by this great crew. Wish I lived closer! Here is the link http://www2.irm.org/blogs/categories/41 ... Department
Bill, I agree!
  by Jeff Smith

Last call; no platitudes this time.

Jaymac is absolutely right. Last call; cut the crap, all of you. If this subject can't be discussed this without bickering like toddlers, without the drama of high school teenagers, I'll shut it down.

I allowed this topic a good while ago in the interest of an open and honest discussion. If you can't stick to a discussion of the facts without the insults being hurled back and forth it will be over. Next time you decide there's been some personal affront to your position as an owner, trustee, railfan or railroader, take a deep breath and a walk outside before you post. I've said before, by all means, disagree. Do it without the flames on here.

I have a huge forum to run without having to spend precious time on a single thread (not including CSRX et al). You make the job of the forum's moderators, and myself, that much harder. That also means there's no need to respond, PM or apologize to me on this; I know where you're all coming from and respect the arguments if not the behavior. And as I've admitted, it's provoked me on a few ocassions. I'm tired of these threads turning into discussions on moderation.

As I've said before, these types of threads are the bane of my existence on here. If you can't check your egos at the door, you'll find a no admittance sign and a padlock barring entry.
  by Reading 900

Eric, any more progress on the truck work being done on the geep donor for the 4268?
  by BM50

The website for them seems to have gone away 2 days ago. Anyone know what's up?

Duane Goodman
  by MEC407

You're right... it's not working for me either. Looks like they forgot to renew the domain name.

http://www.470rrclub.org/ "470rrclub.org expired on 02/15/2012 and is pending renewal or deletion."
  by ericofmaine

Reading 900 wrote:Eric, any more progress on the truck work being done on the geep donor for the 4268?
Not sure as, due to personal reasons, I've not been able to attend the latest trustees or membership meetings. As for the website, I noticed that as well when I went on to do some work on it. I've passed it on to our bookkeepers to get the 411.

Eric
  by steamer69

They must have found some more of that "mystery money" somewhere.
  by Jeff Smith

I'm not sure I get the reference to mystery money. Site registration and hosting is not that huge an expense. And maybe someone donated the money? Where's the mystery?
  by ericofmaine

We sold 501 for scrap to pay for the website :-)

Actually, the renewal information was sent to someone no longer affiliated with the organization. I haven't been able to attend the recent trustees or membership meetings due to personal reasons, but that is the information I was given.

Eric