• Tampa Union Staion's Pullman cars

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by D.Carleton

When Tampa Union Station was restored and reopened many years ago there were two Pullman built sleeping cars parked outside on display. When I visited a few weeks ago one of the sleepers was gone. What appears to be a coach with its windows boarded up is now on the same track as the remaining Pullman.

My questions: what has happened to the missing sleeper and what is the history/lineage of the coach?

by crazy_nip

those 2 cars that are there now have been there for at least 4 years (since I moved back to Tampa)

I did not live here when the station re-opened, so I did not see any other cars there

I kind of doubt the cars can even be moved, as the track lead has been cut and the switch removed. Has been that way for years, since they did the major track reallignment when the S-Line west of TN tower was removed (late 80's) due to no passenger trains needing to access the clearwater sub and st. petersburg

the only tracks that connect to the csx system now are tracks 3, 4 and 5

track 6 has been cut off too and its switch removed

it was such a waste of money to refurbish that station...

one train a day is a joke considering they spent several MILLION dollars rebuilding it

also the platforms and canopies are in such sad shape they should be condemned... im surprised they did not collapse durring hurricane francis

by Semaphore Sam

The most fascinating thing about Tampa Station, is the building across the street, where, in extremely faint letters, the word 'colored' can faintly be discerned above the entry doors . I think the 'Colored' station was used also as a crew-rest facility, a whore-house, and a bar....or so the local staff at the station assert. The beautiful main station (at least it was, when built) was off-limits to those forced across the street...where real humanity, and pathos, flourished.

by Pacobell73

I took the train to Tampa in July 1994, and the temporary 'Amshak' was pretty scary. Small, stinky, and off to the side of any already seedy area. The unrestored Union Station looked like hell. When I found out it was reopened four years later, I was kicking myself for having to deal with the sad looking 'Amshak.'

Yes, service to Tampa is almost non-existant, but at least there is a nice station for the passengers. Hey, Denver's Union Station is a masterpiece---and only has one train in each direction a day as well.

DUT

by TB Diamond

DUT (Denver Union Terminal) serves RTD (Regional Transit District) Light Rail and Bus, and the Ski Train as well as Amtrak. Much more than just one train in each direction a day.
  by Pacobell73

TB Diamond wrote:DUT (Denver Union Terminal) serves RTD (Regional Transit District) Light Rail and Bus, and the Ski Train as well as Amtrak. Much more than just one train in each direction a day.
I forgot that DUT is a transportation center.
  by jhdeasy

D.Carleton wrote:When Tampa Union Station was restored and reopened many years ago there were two Pullman built sleeping cars parked outside on display. When I visited a few weeks ago one of the sleepers was gone. What appears to be a coach with its windows boarded up is now on the same track as the remaining Pullman.

My questions: what has happened to the missing sleeper and what is the history/lineage of the coach?

One of the cars that used to be parked at Tampa Union Station was the former FEC "JAMAICA", a Pullman Standard 1955 vintage roomette - double bedroom - compartment - section sleeper built for Chicago - Florida service. FEC sold the car to CN in the 1960s, but it returned to the USA as a private car after retirement/sale by Via Rail Canada.

I heard that FEC bought the JAMAICA, within the past couple of years, for company use.

http://members.tripod.com/gerstjo/train ... amaica.htm
  by D.Carleton

jhdeasy wrote:I heard that FEC bought the JAMAICA, within the past couple of years, for company use.
Now that would be interesting. I see the other Pullman is for sale on Ozark Mountain Railcar's website. They claim it to be of FEC origin.

by jhdeasy

Ozark Mountain Railcar's info is correct ... the other car, now named FLORIDA SUNRISE, originally named SCOTT M. LOFTIN, was originally built for FEC for assignment to Chicago - Florida service.