• Super Bowl Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by srock1028

Steampowered wrote:i kinda surprised there arent penns to secaucus only trains ? Although i could see alot of un-scheduled train runs that day.
Well there are penns to secaucus only trains, 2 per hour to be exact, plue one more that continues to the airport. Add those 3 trains to the 3-4 regurally scheduled trains per hour and you have a total of 6-7 trains per hour out of New York starting at 1:00 PM until 7:00 PM. There wont be room, or crews to run alot of un-scheduled trains that day...

-NO BS
  by Ken W2KB

Of interest, just saw a police officer with K9 partner in Newark Penn Station, but his patch was different. On closer look he is a Norfolk Southern officer there to help NJT PD with Super Bowl week security.
  by MBTA1016

Ken W2KB wrote:Of interest, just saw a police officer with K9 partner in Newark Penn Station, but his patch was different. On closer look he is a Norfolk Southern officer there to help NJT PD with Super Bowl week security.
That's interesting but not that out of place. Any police department that can afford to lend man power is going to with such a big event as the Super Bowl
  by CNJGeep

Noticed: Amtrak PD in Hoboken. TSA in Secaucus, and NJDOC aboard a train! Good times.
  by MBTA1016

CNJGeep wrote:Noticed: Amtrak PD in Hoboken. TSA in Secaucus, and NJDOC aboard a train! Good times.
Security is gonna ramp up in the next 2-3 days. Here's to a great Super Bowl, NJT pulling it off right and the Seahawks winning the game.
  by lirr42

Saw NJDOC guys on a number of platforms on the Raritan Valley Line today. There were even two at Annandale in case anything mischievous was going on there...
  by ACeInTheHole

Ya think I would have a problem if i were to take my camera to Secaucus this coming Friday?
  by lirr42

I've had my camera out all week at various NJT facilities, nobody's said a thing to me.
  by Fan Railer

beanbag wrote:Ya think I would have a problem if i were to take my camera to Secaucus this coming Friday?
Shouldn't be. As long as you are professional if approached. That's what I plan on doing Sunday. Get a few clips of the 10 car shuttles from the opposite platform on the lower level (since I won't be allowed on the upper level), and then head back up to the upper level to catch a few clips of the stopping Amtrak trains.
  by ACeInTheHole

Fan Railer wrote:
beanbag wrote:Ya think I would have a problem if i were to take my camera to Secaucus this coming Friday?
Shouldn't be. As long as you are professional if approached. That's what I plan on doing Sunday. Get a few clips of the 10 car shuttles from the opposite platform on the lower level (since I won't be allowed on the upper level), and then head back up to the upper level to catch a few clips of the stopping Amtrak trains.
Heads up, the place is laced with security. I went earlier between my classes. Saw the place was loaded with security, and just didnt even bother. On the lower level i happened to strike up a conversation with a passing Transit police officer doing her patrols there, but yeah, you better be prepared to answer tons of questions come Sunday. I wound up going to Hoboken, taking a few pics of the waterfront, and proceeded on to Elizabeth for a couple hours from there. Then headed back to my night class.
  by lirr42

I probably turned several heads at SEC earlier today when I went sprinting through the concourse and down the stairs in an attempt to catch a connection that I managed to see take off right in front of me (the first train was late arriving upstairs, and they didn't have the decency to hold the second train, but this is NJT, again).
  by CentralValleyRail

beanbag wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
Heads up, the place is laced with security. I went earlier between my classes. Saw the place was loaded with security, and just didnt even bother. On the lower level i happened to strike up a conversation with a passing Transit police officer doing her patrols there, but yeah, you better be prepared to answer tons of questions come Sunday. I wound up going to Hoboken, taking a few pics of the waterfront, and proceeded on to Elizabeth for a couple hours from there. Then headed back to my night class.
I second that you can smell the roast pig all the way from Rutherford on the way into SEC. At least (20 plus of them) on the Upper Concourse Tuesday at 2:00pm. Amazing isn't it!

Must say the volunteers were very friendly and talkative. A++ all the way to them!

NJ Doc stationed at Radburn and Garfield on Tuesday. I took pictures of the DOC "officers" at Radburn (because of how out of place and odd they looked) and let me tell you they weren't thrilled about it to say the least.

lirr42 wrote:I probably turned several heads at SEC earlier today when I went sprinting through the concourse and down the stairs in an attempt to catch a connection that I managed to see take off right in front of me (the first train was late arriving upstairs, and they didn't have the decency to hold the second train, but this is NJT, again).
Makes you wonder what's going on with dispatch and or communications between the two. Several times the conductors on upper level trains PROMISED they were holding the connections that they had "radioed ahead" to ensure that. Not believing the conductor anyway I would run up and down the whole SEC maze in less than 60 seconds the train would already have left the station. Occurred 4/4 times in the past 6 months when the connection was "promised"

I enjoy riding the trains a lot but the lack of on-time and the awful connections almost make the drive worth it might seriously start reconsidering taking the train, NJT has gone downhill big time since 2008.
  by MBTA1016

Today I expect more transit pd and other agencies will have more officers around the area then yesterday. Fan railer I can't believe ur going to secaucus Sunday. That's crazy.
  by runningwithscalpels

Can't say I've ever been hassled by transit popo ever - let's see if NJT breaks that today :)
  by lirr42

CentralValleyRail wrote:
lirr42 wrote:I probably turned several heads at SEC earlier today when I went sprinting through the concourse and down the stairs in an attempt to catch a connection that I managed to see take off right in front of me (the first train was late arriving upstairs, and they didn't have the decency to hold the second train, but this is NJT, again).
Makes you wonder what's going on with dispatch and or communications between the two. Several times the conductors on upper level trains PROMISED they were holding the connections that they had "radioed ahead" to ensure that. Not believing the conductor anyway I would run up and down the whole SEC maze in less than 60 seconds the train would already have left the station. Occurred 4/4 times in the past 6 months when the connection was "promised"

I enjoy riding the trains a lot but the lack of on-time and the awful connections almost make the drive worth it might seriously start reconsidering taking the train, NJT has gone downhill big time since 2008.
I don't know if they have an usher at Secaucus (they should) and it is their responsibility to make sure that all connections have arrived before allowing trains to depart the station. Tons of timed connections are coordinated everyday at Jamaica, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem (especially on the lower level where they are not at the whim of Amtrak and can do whatever they want.