• Stourbridge Railroad (Honesdale-Lackawaxen) and Proposals

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by bwparker1

Wasn't it going to be the NYGLE?
  by tim5405

From the chat i had heard from here i thought so and i know the NYGL high railer was down at the engine house for a while but I was shown the business cards of the guys from the M & E so that is the truth in my eyes....... but who knows i am tryin gto get more info , the question that i have is are they going to use there own power, i know the bl-2 is still running then there is the gp down in lackawxen but the photos of that looks like shes in ruff shape, the status of the line , haven’t heard much about the track work past the bridge that had to be done and haven’t had a chance to run down to check it out, is the WCCC still going to run the excursions like they use to with north shore etc . i guess only time will tell i guess it well be interesting i know the "NYSW" saved the line a long time ago is the M & E going to do the same thing??
  by mikeexplorer

Last year when they were discussing replacing the bridge at Hawley, I think what was said in our newspaper is there is going to be a different railroad operator for the FREIGHT, but the Wayne County would still be in charge of the tourist part. I will have to dig up that article. It was the interest in a company relocating to White Mills is the only reason the bridge got replaced. There was no money in Wayne Countys budget to fix the bridge just for the tourist operation.

I do not think anyone is taking over the Stourbridge line as far as the tourism goes. There will just be a different Freight operator.

Mike
  by cjvrr

I think we are getting mixed up here.

Kermit Geary, Jr. (the railfan photographer) is heavily involved with this oepration. NY&GL is NOT involved in anyway! He has repeated that on almost every posting I have seen from him. Initial railfan rumor had them involved but it was false.

Paul Brancato of, I believe the York area of PA, purchased the line from the Shippers Association. It is supposed to be an entirely new shortline. I think Mr. Brancato is connected to the steel fabricator that is planning to build their facility along the line. They have even purchased an engine and a few coaches that are sitting in Lackawaxen waiting for the bridge to be rebuilt. I was in Lackawaxen for dinner a few weeks ago when they got the engine started for the first time in a few years.

I have no clue why the M&E would be in the area. Possibly they want to provide assistance to the new owner. Maybe they will be performing trackwork since they have track equipment?

Nothing is going to shake loose on that line until the bridge repair is complete.
  by cjvrr

Just posting a follow up from the Wayne County Economic Development Corp website;

"August 2008 - Restoration of the damaged rail trestle began in April and is now 70% complete. The WIDA-owned structure is expected to be functional by the beginning of September. Meanwhile, the Stourbridge Railroad crew is inspecting the line and making repairs necessary for the resumption of rail service.

The Stourbridge Railroad is no longer in the hands of the Lackawaxen-Honesdale Shippers Association. In May, the Railroad was sold to Paul Brancato, a principal in Ideal Steel Supply Corp. The Shippers Assoc. will continue to support the Railroad in all its endeavors, especially with respect to new rail-related industrial development."

http://www.wedcorp.org/news.php?subacti ... m=&ucat=4&
  by tim5405

ok a little off topic but i got to work today so i cant get out to see if they are going to lackawaxen for the first time in years today or not, i know track work was still going on but dose anyone know if they are going or not?
  by blockline4180

I read on another list that they were supposed to go to Lackawaxen(Fall folliage train?) this weekend. This was confirmed by one of the top volunteers for the LSB.
  by blockline4180

Well, I just got confirmation from Ideal Steel Co. that Morristown & Erie will be taking over operations on January 1st 2009... That should be interesting!
  by blockline4180

Yes, I got the confirmation today that it is true. They will take over January 1st.
  by Otto Vondrak

According to a post made by Kermit today, Morristown & Erie will indeed be taking over operations of the SBRR starting January 1, 2009.
Despite all the hard work and dedication that we at Central Penn Rail Corp have done to connect the line, the new owner, Paul Broncatta of Ideal Steel on Long Island, NY, has decided to throw us off and contract with the Morristown & Erie RR. They are expected to take over total control on 1-1-2009. Until that time, we will continue to operate the line to the best of our abilities.
There's the words. Seems like a kick in the pants to Central Penn Rail Corp., but the reasons for the change were not elaborated upon.

In the same post, more words about getting to Lackawaxen:
After a summer of delays and frustrations on the Stourbridge Railroad, we finally got the bridge at Hawley finished to the point that we are once again connected to the out-side world! On Saturday, OCT 4, 2008...we ran the very first train over the newly rebuilt spans to the town of Lackawaxen, PA. This capped off a week of 20 hour days, laying track, ballasting, & tamping the approaches to the bridge.
So once again, the SBRR is connected to the national network, which I assume, opens the door to developing freight traffic on the line once more.

-otto-
  by wolfboy8171981

I cant seem to find this filling on the STB website. Can someone help point me in the right direction. I'd like to know how they can say there going to take over operations on Jan 1st when they havent filled a petition with the STB yet.
  by Steamtown Observer

Despite what some of the previous paperwork says, a lot of the filings over the last 10 years have been filed late (in some cases even after the fact). I am assuming since the various changes of ownership and operators has been uneventful (and unchallenged) seeing as there has been essentially no freight traffic that nobody at the STB cared.
  by Cadguru

This is my first post after being a lurker for a year or so.
For my anniversary Sunday, my wife surprised me with the fall foilage excursion.
I will post photos as photography is my side business and rail photography is a hobby.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Welcome aboard, cadguru. Looking forward to seeing your pics! :-D