Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

the long stored wire train has been sold (probably for scrap) and was brought up to upper yard in Stamford under I-95 bridge (loop)
When it will leave is not known. its currently hooked up to MN 401
  by Clean Cab

Amazing. It was put in service barely 10 years ago. But the introduction of the Plasser CMV (Catenary Maintenance Vehicles) located on Stamford and East Bridgeport Yards have made the wire train rather useless. It was supposed to be used in cases of major overhead wire damage, but with the installation of the new type of catenary those incidents are becoming fewer and fewer. I do recall the wire train did have problems with it's HEP generators necessitating the use of an HEP equipped engine to power the lights and platform cars as well as push and pull the train.
  by CSX Conductor

One less thing to blow the whistle for while running Track 4.
  by Saugatuck

Requiescat in pace.
  by Train2009

The wire train was seen sitting on the fuel pad at Stamford yard this morning.
  by DutchRailnut

yup still has not left, the3 passenger type cars are on Fuel pad the tower cars are in the Wash.
  by gregorygrice

Saw it going through the Wash Facility this morning. Why would they wash something thats going to scrap?
  by Clean Cab

gregorygrice wrote:Saw it going through the Wash Facility this morning. Why would they wash something thats going to scrap?
Probably to give the homeless living in it a bath!!!
  by DutchRailnut

It is sitting in wash, its not going trough it, its stopped, as in not moving, no locomotives attached.
  by Tadman

Must be really dirty then, if they're just letting it sit under the hose...

:-D
  by FL9AC

with the mainline issues and everything else I doubt it's going anywhere fast. Now both platform cars and the wire spool car hitched at the heavy repair facility. old passenger cars all over the yard.
  by runningwithscalpels

Is the wire train still hanging around? Went by East Bridgeport yard today and saw something that looked like it deep-ish in the yard.