• Freight Operations on the "Northern" New Hampshire Mainline

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NHV 669

CPF66 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am Which I should add to that topic point, there were photos posted of land clearing going on in Lowell or NC, I forgot where exactly the gravel transload guy was looking to locate. But regardless, there is work being done on that side of the operation, and I think VRS still has those exSNC tailings cars on the property.
It's Lynch Construction, located off the south leg of the Lowell Junction wye:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/eTj1BWsvmRkmJaKx7

They were awarded grant money a few years ago for the project, GMaps clearly doesn't show much going on at present. Someone more local may have a better idea of what's going on. I think we're at close to 5 years of waiting on that one.
  by CPN9

CSX Has been placing large piles of ties on the Nashua Sub South of Nashua Yard. Looks like an impending tie Job
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by NHN503

Starts in July, looking to have it to Class 2. Was supposed to be to Concord but that part has been reportedly delayed and will be just to Bow station sign at this point.
  by Cosmo

Saw tie bundles all the way north of Nashua at least as far as Milford.
Also, ballast hoppers parked on (what I assume is) the team track in Milford. At least two I could see were fully loaded.
  by newpylong

Thanks. When I was there it was to Bow (station), then they cut back to MPN-38. The CTC also went all the way up to CPN-28.

Sounds like they struck again. Hopefully it gets re-extended, that sure is a lot of Restricted speed, brutal. Not that PAR really cared about how fast they moved anyway.
  by F74265A

How much of a customer base still exists north of Nashua? My impression has been not much in the bow/concord area other than the power plant. What are the rail prospects in the area now that the power plant is most likely going away forever in the relatively near future?
  by jamoldover

newpylong wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:09 am Thanks. When I was there it was to Bow (station), then they cut back to MPN-38. The CTC also went all the way up to CPN-28.

Sounds like they struck again. Hopefully it gets re-extended, that sure is a lot of Restricted speed, brutal. Not that PAR really cared about how fast they moved anyway.
N38 = NSU9, so the end of DCS is still in the same place. The CTC was eliminated before the takeover.
Last edited by jamoldover on Tue May 28, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by jamoldover

F74265A wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:01 am How much of a customer base still exists north of Nashua? My impression has been not much in the bow/concord area other than the power plant. What are the rail prospects in the area now that the power plant is most likely going away forever in the relatively near future?
I count four customer locations (I don't know how active they are, though) north of Manchester in addition to the power plant and whatever interchange happens in Concord:
Ciment Quebec (NSU 8.8)
Perrini (NSU 8.5)
Coastal Forest Products (NSU 7.8)
Blue Seal Feeds (NSU 3.4)
  by newpylong

jamoldover wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:38 pm
newpylong wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:09 am Thanks. When I was there it was to Bow (station), then they cut back to MPN-38. The CTC also went all the way up to CPN-28.

N38 = NSU9, so the end of DCS is still in the same place. The CTC was eliminated before the takeover.
Where do the new NSU mileposts begin for MPN38 to be NSU9 now?

In the PAR TT3 MPN-38 was the end of DCS and the last noted milepost. In the last TT I had as an employee (PAR TT1) the mileposts still went up to 44. I'm trying to figure out where the 9 miles comes from.

Thanks