• St. Lawrence & Atlantic Railroad (SLR/SLQ)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by markhb

merrman wrote:One of the most obvious advantages of the PAR route is that it goes right through Auburn and Lewiston, while the SLR barely skirts the outer fringes of Auburn and does not go into Lewiston at all. For those going to L/A on business, they will be much closer (and thus a cheaper taxi ride) to most locations. The one exception being the airport, but that is not much of a passenger destination.

Why spend millions to rehab the SLR, when the PAR is in better condition, and much more user friendly?
First, the studies I've read seem to think of L/A as an origin point more than a destination. That's typical of most of the Downeaster planning, which revolves primarily around Mainers heading to Boston. With that being the case, making the station easily accessible for people driving in from out of the city to catch the train (much as Portland is used now) takes priority over direct service to the city center, whether to the GT station or the old Lewiston Upper area. The studies have steadily said, "direct rail service to downtown L/A is not needed;" the plans call for shuttle buses to handle that part.

Second, possible extensions of service beyond L/A make much more (relative) sense on the GT / SLR. The SLR route proceeds directly from the airport to Bethel/Sunday River and from there to Montreal. The Back Road runs from Lewiston Upper through.... not much until you get to Waterville (and may my family in Oakland never read this :-) ). If there is to be service to Waterville, it may make more sense to go via Brunswick and the Lower Road which is not only state-owned but also passes through downtown Augusta.
  by trainmancs

I noticed that the 24 piggyback cars and 4 boxcars have been taken from the 2 SLR sidings at yarmouth jct. They had been just sitting there for about 3 years, but i dont know if the 6 piggyback cars have been taken from the SLR siding in north deering
  by trainmancs

I went into the north deering today to see if the 6 piggyback cars that had been sitting there for about 3 years are gone and they are. They were sitting on the last siding next to the main line before the siding that was used for the former ski train and on the way back up presumpscot street i noticed that an old single 40' CN boxcar that was sitting on a siding at one of the businesses has also been taken away, it had been sitting there for about 5 years
  by gokeefe

trainmancs wrote:I went into the north deering today to see if the 6 piggyback cars that had been sitting there for about 3 years are gone and they are. They were sitting on the last siding next to the main line before the siding that was used for the former ski train and on the way back up presumpscot street i noticed that an old single 40' CN boxcar that was sitting on a siding at one of the businesses has also been taken away, it had been sitting there for about 5 years
Based on the locations it sort of makes me wonder if they're clearing everything out before the diamond gets re-signalled or perhaps rebuilt. I don't know if they're going to replace the diamond or not but the Downeaster work would seem to be the only obvious catalyst that would cause such broad based switching activity.
  by bubbytrains

trainmancs wrote:I went into the north deering today to see if the 6 piggyback cars that had been sitting there for about 3 years are gone and they are. They were sitting on the last siding next to the main line before the siding that was used for the former ski train and on the way back up presumpscot street i noticed that an old single 40' CN boxcar that was sitting on a siding at one of the businesses has also been taken away, it had been sitting there for about 5 years
Yesterday I saw the SLR piggybacks at Danville Jct on one of their storage tracks.
  by trainmancs

CORRECTION, in my last 2 posts i said north deering i meant east deering and i forgot to say that when i noticed the piggyback cars were gone at yarmouth jct i also saw that a new diamond has been all assembled and is sitting on the side of the tracks waiting to be installed.
  by Dick H

Berlin Biomas Plant Gets Funding:

http://www.wmur.com/money/29110615/detail.html

Seems like this plant could mean some business
for the St. Lawrence & Atlantic during the contruction
phase. Whether that would continue once the plant is
on line is another question.
  by trainmancs

i caught a train going through yarmouth on the SLR line on 9/22 at 4:20 pm obvioulsly coming from B&m in portland with one red CANADA cylindrical hopper in tow. The engine was going in reverse and was an orange one but i could not make out a number on the engine
  by CPF363

On a recent visit to Groveton, there was 115lb. welded rail dropped along the main line. Is this rail financed by SLR or is this stimulus? Is SLR's objective to get Amtrak over the line from Portland to Montreal? The SLR along the northern portion of the line between North Stratford and the Canadian Border really looks nice; largely welded rail, good tie condition, no debris all over the place, clean. A real nice operation.
  by merrman

The SLR has been continually upgradinbg to CWR for several years, long before stimulus money came along.
Don't know if any of this funding has been used since it became available or not.
  by gokeefe

merrman wrote:The SLR has been continually upgradinbg to CWR for several years, long before stimulus money came along.
Don't know if any of this funding has been used since it became available or not.
I haven't seen any indications here or in the media that the SLR received any ARRA (stimulus) funds.

For the most part I think they've done these projects on their own.
  by ericofmaine

gokeefe wrote: I haven't seen any indications here or in the media that the SLR received any ARRA (stimulus) funds.

I believe I've read somewhere that the State of Vermont paid for a large portion from the Connecticut River to Norton to get the line up to 286K. I'm not sure if this was stimulus money or not, but I think it may have been.

Eric
  by gokeefe

ericofmaine wrote:
gokeefe wrote: I haven't seen any indications here or in the media that the SLR received any ARRA (stimulus) funds.

I believe I've read somewhere that the State of Vermont paid for a large portion from the Connecticut River to Norton to get the line up to 286K. I'm not sure if this was stimulus money or not, but I think it may have been.

Eric
I'm sure it wasn't stimulus money. I seem to remember some government money I just can't remember under what program they were provided. Vermont sounds about right but I'm really not sure.
  by S1f3432

I stumbled across something involving grants through New Hampshire DOT last spring
for track improvements including CWR between Groveton and West Milan. Wish I could
remember the source.