• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by northjerseybuff

I took a ride to Port Jervis on Sat and didn't see any interlockings except for Cenral Valley replaced.

Sterling/Hudson jct/OV and BC all need upgrades.
Tracks speeds are good and rail is in good shape.
No signs of work in PJ either. I had heard yard expansion is forthcoming?
  by SecaucusJunction

Hudson Jct, Central Valley and Harriman were all replaced in the past year. The new switch for Sterling is sitting next to the track but has not yet been installed. I guess that is a 2011 project...
  by northjerseybuff

jct boxes were not replaced and neither were signals. Switches might have been. Central Valley had all new boxes/signals etc
  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:jct boxes were not replaced and neither were signals. Switches might have been. Central Valley had all new boxes/signals etc

Yes, but what is your point?? Are you saying this will stop NS from running through freights???
  by northjerseybuff

my point is not as much work was done than i thought
  by SecaucusJunction

Except for it now being single rail, the track east of Port Jervis is probably in better shape now than it has been at any time since the Erie was running passenger service to Chicago!

Be careful what you wish for with the signals, though... there's gonna be some major work done within the next year or two.
  by NJRAIL1256

Rule 562 is around the corner! Get those pictures of the automatic signals.
  by century430

What is rule 562?

Jim Rowland
  by SecaucusJunction

Well the short of it is, you won't see any automatic wayside signals anymore between Sparrow and SF. Everything will be ruled only by cab signals except for interlockings. I believe the PVL is rule 562 right now as well as all the MTA east of Hudson lines...
  by century430

Any further word on the new traffic coming out of the Ports?
  by K4Pacific

Big meeting on Wednesday the 8th. Easy does it.
  by SecaucusJunction

Wish I could be a fly on the wall in there... Any insight on what they might be talking about?
  by century430

Who is holding the meeting? NS? The unions? The Ports? NS & NYSW?

This ought to make things interesting.

JIm Rowland
  by blockline4180

century430 wrote:Who is holding the meeting? NS? The unions? The Ports? NS & NYSW?

This ought to make things interesting.

JIm Rowland

K4 would probably know, but I wouldnt want to hold his feet to the fire!!

My guess is after the meeting it will either be good news or bad news for the Eastern Tier...!
  by century430

Dare I askthis question: How much worse can it get for the east end of the Tier?

JR