Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RGlueck

Oyster Bay yard. One of my favorite RS1 shots, although I can't say I approve of the paint scheme.

A pastel blue C420 in first days of service. Nassau Tower
  by MattAmity90

Yes, they double-tracked from Amott Interlocking to the West End of Huntington Interlocking back in 1985. They did so because of constant bottlenecks, and the fact that with the electrification of the Ronkonkoma Branch at the time meant more trains and more customers. Plus before that, when they electrified all the way to Huntington, more commuters in Central Eastern Nassau and NW Suffolk started taking the train.
  by MACTRAXX

Image[/quote]

RG: I apologize for the late reply...

This picture of the Route 110 overpass at Huntington actually fooled me - but I now remember that the steel
girders on this bridge are not as high as the Smithtown-Route 25 overpass is - this picture was obviously taken
before the Mineola-Huntington Electrification project reached that point...

Yes - I agree that the ten year period between 1965 and 1975 was one of the most interesting decades in LIRR
history - and you and your photographer buddies captured it well...

MACTRAXX
  by RGlueck

Very nice of you to say so. We really were interested in capturing one "great shot" for history's sake. So glad to share it with you younger fans.
  by MattAmity90

I just wish I was born a few decades earlier to see the railroad really change. Instead of 1990, I would say I should have been born no later than 1960.
  by nyandw

MattAmity90 wrote:I just wish I was born a few decades earlier to see the railroad really change. Instead of 1990, I would say I should have been born no later than 1960.
Mstt; And yet maybe 1941, 1951,or even 1961! Every era has historical significance; yes some more then others: I have: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirr19 ... r1970s.htm
it's the 1970's not complete, of course. I'd like to do each decade 1950's-1990's if folks want to.
  by RGlueck

Case in point, I started taking pictures the week the FM's left the property. I was a 15 year old kid, all ready to take pictures of C-Liners. I never got a photo of one myself! All I got to do was "see-liners". I remember watching them in Tichy paint, blurring through Mineola station, and I remember the last few runs of the G5's, but wasn't old enough to do much more than stand to watch them.
  by MattAmity90

nyandw wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:I just wish I was born a few decades earlier to see the railroad really change. Instead of 1990, I would say I should have been born no later than 1960.
Mstt; And yet maybe 1941, 1951,or even 1961! Every era has historical significance; yes some more then others: I have: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirr19 ... r1970s.htm
it's the 1970's not complete, of course. I'd like to do each decade 1950's-1990's if folks want to.
Oh yeah, even before 1960 I would love to have been born. Last steam ride, all the elevation work, electrification projects, last days of spurs, old structures etc.