Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by L'mont

I think the better question would be:

Sold or scrapped?

by hotbike

The tower in Queens Village.

408, before the horns were placed over the numberboard.

The Mineola Blvd. overpass.
Pilings being driven to support the temporary overpass.

by hotbike

I scanned some more photos today.

However , I really have a lot of 8mm video , most of which was transferred to VHS.
  by MACTRAXX

Hotbike: Let me chime in on some of your pix-first-that red/white and blue paint is NOT bicentennial paint-it was from the Frank Gabreski "We Serve With Pride" patriotic era from 1979 to about 1984 or so when he was LIRR President.
Second-that two parlor car "sandwich"train between two MP15s is a Ronkonkoma-Greenport scoot being run DH to or from Jamaica-sometimes the LIRR would assign two parlor cars to that scoot in the off-season.
Third-there were 10 C1 cars-3001-3010 - built with cramped 3/2 seats in married pairs with MU couplers-when you took those pictures the FL9s were the assigned power at the time. Those cars cost the MTA $33 million-or $3.3 million dollars per car-because of the prototypes they were. They were built by Tokyu Car in Japan I recall. They were sold to the Naugatuck RR in CT I believe. Keep the good pix coming! MACTRAXX
  by MattAmity90

I thought I would share 3 photos that mean a lot to me.

The shots at Babylon, man it was hot out with 100 degree days with indexes around 110, and I had taken several shots that day returning to New York for the first time in a 3 years. It was a rare opportunity to get a shot of a DM30, M7, and M3 all 3 different trains on all 3 tracks.
  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:Hotbike: Let me chime in on some of your pix-first-that red/white and blue paint is NOT bicentennial paint-it was from the Frank Gabreski "We Serve With Pride" patriotic era from 1979 to about 1984 or so when he was LIRR President.

LIRR President: Francis S. Gabreski: 1978-1981

Second-that two parlor car "sandwich"train between two MP15s is a Ronkonkoma-Greenport scoot being run DH to or from Jamaica-sometimes the LIRR would assign two parlor cars to that scoot in the off-season.

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Scoot/lirrscoot.htm
Here a 2-car train of steam cars is laying up westbound at Greenport station behind Alco RS1 #463 awaiting its departure time in August, 1972. This was NOT a shuttle train, but the actual Jamaica to Greenport and return series of trains mentioned above (i.e. #s 204/211).

Keep the good pix coming! MACTRAXX
Ditto! :-)
  by nyandw

MattAmity90 wrote:I thought I would share 3 photos that mean a lot to me.
Nice...get them scanned and file name date labeled for the future! :wink:
  by hotbike

ImageIMG_0352 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0373 by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

6506 had 417 leading, with 5010 on the West end, three cars total.
6550 had 511 leading, four cars with 5015 trailing.
5015 has one of it's Marker Lights (red tail lights) burned out...

Re:

by philipmartin

Frank wrote:Good pictures! I miss the old diesels.
I miss this paint scheme; I remember them. I was ten years old in 1945, (I suppose the C Liners arrived about eight years later,) and I used to see them in Westhampton. Paint scheme imitates the US Navy. What could be better. That small illuminated number must have been inherited from the PRR. I went into Pennsy towers in 1957, and reading the numbers on the GG1s was frequently a problem. Photo from railpictures.net, photographer John Dziobko http://www.godfatherrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (more..)
Alco 1000hp road switcher with the number on the radiator louvers. I never saw that before.
4-4-0 in Jamaica. Not exactly a diesel, but it's old and I go for it.
  by keyboardkat

2402 was one of four 2400hp F-M C-liners purchased with Bankruptcy Court permission by the LIRR. The other eight C-liners had the 10-cylinder 2000hp engine. All twelve C-liners were built without MU capability, which at the time was an extra-cost option. The railroad figured the C-liners were so powerful they would never need doubleheading. They were impressive looking, and they sounded even better. They were prone to breakdowns, but when they were right, nothing could catch them, with even the heaviest rush-hour train.

Unfortunately, F-M failed to get enough market penetration to permit economies of scale. The opposed piston engine was fuel efficient and vibration-free, but hard to maintain, and the Westinghouse electrical components were not advanced enough to deliver the expected capacity. F-M threw in the towel on the locomotive business in 1963, leaving the LIRR units as orphans. Thus the arrival of the Alco C-420s.
  by hotbike

Yes, but Fairbanks Morse continued to produce it's opposed piston engine for the Navy, on account of the "silent running" , which was the thing to have in a Diesel Submarine.
  by nyandw

keyboardkat wrote:2402 was one of four 2400hp F-M C-liners purchased with Bankruptcy Court permission by the LIRR. The other eight C-liners had the 10-cylinder 2000hp engine. ...
Thanks for the info!

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrCl ... liners.htm
#2402 in its Goodfellow repaint Starting in 1955 with the arrival of the new Alco RS-3 diesels to replace the last of the steam locomotives, the “Goodfellow colors” (as they are often referred to) came into use. These colors were a smoke gray body and orange ends and pilots. This scheme was applied to all diesels as they went into the shop for maintenance and repainting, and was completed by 1959 when the Dashing Dan herald started appearing. The first timetable to have Dan was in September 1959, although he was introduced in the April 1957 Long Island Railroader.

Fairbanks-Morse CPA-24-5
Numbers Built Serial Heritage Class
2401-2404 10-1951 24L497-24L500 New FP-24SC
(F=Fairbanks Morse, P= Passenger, 24=2400HP, S= Steam Generator, C= Speed Control)
All had 5 axles. A-A, A-1-A configuration 3 chime Nathan-Air chime M3R1 mounted on top of cab.

Fairbanks-Morse CPA-20-5
Numbers Built Serial Heritage Class
2001-2008 6/8-1950 21L331-21L338 New FP-20SC
(F=Fairbanks Morse, P= Passenger, 20=2000HP, S= Steam Generator, C= Speed Control)
All had 5 axles. A-A, A-1-A configuration 3 chime Nathan-Air chime M3R1 on top of cab.
  by nyandw

philipmartin wrote:Alco 1000hp road switcher with the number on the radiator louvers. I never saw that before.
Here's some photos: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrRS ... Roster.htm for example:
at Long Island City

The first delivery (12/1948?-2-3/1949) of RS-1's came in black. (#461-465) That scheme didn't last very long and were repainted in the Tichy livery (In November 1949 Alco RS-1 #465 became the first unit with the new Tichy herald along with the Tichy paint scheme. The remaining RS1 units (#461-464) were repainted up until 11/1/52. When the remaining RS-1's arrived (#466-469 4/1950), the FM C-Liners arrived in 1950 (#2001-08 6/8-1950), and the H16-44s arrived (1501-09 10/1951) with this paint scheme applied upon their delivery. Info: John Scala
  by RGlueck

I hope most of you are aware, #467 is the sole surviving LIRR RS!, is privately owned and is being restored to operation in a Tichy paint scheme, at Hoosier Valley Railroad Club.
  by nyandw

RGlueck wrote:I hope most of you are aware, #467 is the sole surviving LIRR RS!, is privately owned and is being restored to operation in a Tichy paint scheme, at Hoosier Valley Railroad Club.

The 467 really got around once it left here working for railroads in Ohio and Indiana. Its last assignment was for Indiana Hi-Rail as their 167. It started out as 467 on their roster and then they renumbered it for some reason. It sat around their shop for awhile and last I heard it was sold to some guy from Long Island who lives out of state. It's supposed to get painted into the Tichy scheme...or was, but that plan may have changed. John Scala

RPCX #467ex-LIRR #467 Beesons, IN 12-21-09 Photo: John Owens

Dick; Thanks for the reminder! I've contacted them, will update. :-)