• slash through the letter on lrvs

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ctaman34

what does that slash mean that goes through the letters on the lrvs

by apodino

The slash means the train is only going part of the way along the route, not the full route. Its kind of obsolete these days, and will soon be a thing of the past with the type 7's going to lcd and the bredas already there.

Along the outbound routes, on a B train, it would be used for either Blandford St. or Chestnut Hill Ave.

On a D train, it would be used for Reservoir.

On an E train, its used at Northeastern, Brigham Circle, and Heath St., even though its the current terminus, because Arborway is the classic end of the line.

In History, A trains used it for Oak Square.

by efin98

They normally signify the train is shorturning rather than going the full route. Case in point: that E train in the second picture is supposed to go to Arborway but is short turning at Heat Street(obviously past 1985, but the signs but the tradition carried over for a while).

From what I have seen the red slash is less previllent on the eastbound trains than on the westbound trains, usually you only see eastbound trains carrying the slash because there isn't a combination on the roll sign that shows both the route letter and terminal that it is using. IIRC until this past summer the B Line ran reguarly with trains signed "D(red slash)-Government Center" due to the early Type 7s lacking the B-Government Center signage.

The newer signs on some Type 7s(3700s only?) only show the station rather than the route letter and terminal station heading east so the mistaken signs and red slashes don't show up as much heading east(none that I have personally seen at least).

I also think that the red slash will be a thing of the past thanks to the new LCD signs on the Type 7s and Type 8s, no need for the slashes anymore when any combination can be created in a matter of a few minutes and uploaded into the displays.

by efin98

apodino wrote:On an E train, its used at Northeastern, Brigham Circle, and Heath St., even though its the current terminus, because Arborway is the classic end of the line.
I have seen Heath Street trains very rarely run with a red slash Heath Street designation, must be limited to the first few cars only. Not saying it's not a major feature, just saying that I very rarely see that sign.
In History, A trains used it for Oak Square.
No A(red slash) Blanford Street in the mix? I would think that would be in there too since A trains share tracks with B trains for a long distance including that stop.

by ctaman34

type7 3682 is an lcd car has an lcd sign and can run with type 8 breda lrvs

let me find and i'll get it
  by ctaman34

note the type 8 in the background

by AEM7AC920

There are quite a few T7's that can run with the Bredas now soon all of them :P

by ctaman34

what will happen with the boeing vertol lrvs

by efin98

ctaman34 wrote:what will happen with the boeing vertol lrvs
They are going to meet a friendly blowtorch at a nice large scrap yard :-D

by CSX Conductor

I guess it would be safe to assume that the "8"s on CTAMan's shot of the 3682's couplers are to designate that the car is compatible to Type-8's. :-)

by efin98

I believe that may be true. I wonder if those were added from the start or after someone accidentally coupled an unrenovated converted Type 7 to a converted Type 7. Wouldn't surprise me if it did happen :wink:

by AEM7AC920

I just noticed that... All of the Modified T7's have that 8 on the front.

by CSX Conductor

technically, I believe that specific shot is the rear. :wink:

by trigonalmayhem

Actually, it's the front.
That's a side-platform in the central subway, so the train would be coming towards the camera. You can also see that the door between the driver's area and the main part of the car is open (even if it's too dark to see the driver).

and the front and the rear are interchangable anyway.
:wink:
Last edited by trigonalmayhem on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CSX Conductor

Actually I was just noting that the shot was of the "B" end, which would be the rear half.

I know that both ends are identical, except for the pantograph is on the A end as well as the bell.
Last edited by CSX Conductor on Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.