Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by jp1822

I am trying to coordinate a trip on the Skeena this fall - late May to take advantage of the Skena Totem Class. However, before or after travelling on the Skeena from/to Prince Rupert, I am trying to coordinate a trip that involves the BC Ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. Not sure whether I will choose an overnight BC ferry or the daylight BC ferry through the Inside Passage. I may be able to work out either a north or south bound trip on the ferry. However, once arriving in Port Hardy - what transportation choices do I have to get to Naniamo/Victoria/Vancouver. From what I have explored:

1. I have found that it is possible to rent a car from Port Hardy to Naniamo or Victoria. Does anyone know how to get to the rental agency from the docks at Port Hardy?

2. If I wanted to get to/from Vancouver to Port Hardy - how would one do that? I would assume I would have to drop the rental car in Naniamo and then catch the BC Ferry to Vancouver. But I is there a bus to downtown Vancouver? Does anyone know the bus company that does such a service? Advice?

My ultimate choice would be to take the southbound ferry from Prince Rupert and arriving into Port Hardy. Then next day get to Vancouver by early evening. It appears the drive from Port Hardy to Nanaimo is 4.5 hours and the ferry from Nanaimo to Vancouver is about 2 hours - depending on which port in Vancouver one choses to use (Horsehoe Bay or Tsawwassen). I have no doubt it will be a full journey from Port Hardy to Vancouver, but I'd like to make the trip in one day with no stop over.

I missed a trip on the Inside Passage last time after coming off of the Skeena in Prince Rupert. I ended up flying from Prince Rupert to Vancouver. Is the Inside Passage from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy worth the trip? Or should I just take the more convenient option and fly?

by marquisofmississauga

Perhaps someone from B.C. will have more detailed information than I can provide. Firstly, the ferry trip in the inside pasage is definitely worth it.

About 12 years ago, we flew from Toronto to Port Hardy (via Vancouver,) then the following morning boarded the "Queen of the North" to Prince Rupert, then overnight, then the "Skeena" to Jasper and two days later continued on the "Canadian" to Vancouver. It was a great trip. We cruised the Inside Passage for the first time 30 years ago aboard the CPR's "Princess Patricia" on a cruise to Alaska.

From Port Hardy you could fly direct to Vancouver. That service is provided by Pacific Coastal Airlines. I had a quick look at their Web site; the lowest one-way fare is $180.83, including all charges and taxes. You say you might drive to Nanaimo. If you do, the bus to the ferry is operated by Greyhound and will take you to the Pacific Central station in Vancouver. If you can return a rental car in Courtney, you could take the VIA dayliner departing at 1330 for Nanaimo. Arrival there is 1522, leaving plenty of time to get to Vancouver. You could even take the train all the way to Victoria and still have time to get back to Vancouver that night. That bus service is operated by Pacific Coach Lines.

David,
Mississauga, Canada

by ENR3870

I recommend catching the Vancouver Island Coach Lines twice daily bus from Port Hardy to Courtenay, staying overnight in Courtenay and riding VIA Rail's Malahat south to Victoria as Pacific Coach Lines runs just up the street from the station, whereas getting off at Nanaimo it's a bit of a walk to the closest regional transit stop.

If your wanting to get to Nanaimo without stopovers rental car would be the way to go. If your also wanting to catch the train from Courtenay there is a rental car agency and regional transit in Courtenay that could take you to the E&N Railway depot. If you book the ticket for the Malahat the same time as the Skeena, you'd only pay 26 dollars CDN for the trip from Courtenay to Victoria.