• Scrapping of GP-10

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Paul

Is that GP-10 that I have read about being scrapped if so why? Also was it equiped with dynamic brakes? How do I get in contact with the scrapper?
  by freightguy

Gershow Recycling
Peconic Ave.
Medford, NY 11763

I don't know the phone number off hand. They are one biggest scrap metal dealers in this area. They might even have a website, I don't know

by SeldenJrFireman

that thing is probably long gone by now.

by Legio X

You'll probably be hauling it's shredded remains out in a couple of gondolas from Medford soon.

by tahawus84

Still in one peice
http://www.gershowrecycling.com/
631-289-6188

by tushykushy

Yeah it's still in one piece sitting all the way back there. Gershow is a HUGE place dude. If you can listen real carefully there might be a rat or two crying "wheres my daddy....." it's so big :x

by emfinite

RATS! I haven't seen Uncle Fester lately...

by Paul

All I need to know is: Does it have dynamic brakes or not. I am working on a project and I need grids and a blower. For what the regular locomotive scrappers want for a hatch, grids and a blower, I could almost buy a well used locomotive for parts and I really dont want ot go that way.

by John 61

Paul,
Probably not. The grids have been covered over.I don't know what's inside.

www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=86354

by RRChef

Paul
201 was built as PRR GP-9 7248. As I am sure you know, all PRR GP-9's were built with dynamic brakes. However the first time I saw 201 I noticed that the grids were covered as mentioned above. Your best bet might be to just contact Gershow.

by Paul

I see this is a Boisey Rebuild and that she doesnt have dynamic brakes. I remember these from my Conrail days in Selkirk. Why is she being scrapped? Prime mover problems?

by jayrmli

Paul:

No dynamic brakes on the unit, as mentioned above.

The 201 had a problem with an axle bearing while on the main and the wheels locked up. The repair (in particular because of where it happened and that it would have to be repaired on site at Pilgrim) would have costed $30,000+. It was decided it was cheaper to scrap it than save it. It had some other problems, but since I didn't run her, I can't comment on what they were.

Jay

by Paul

So, let me get this straight: An axle locks up out on the main. The locomotive is dragged off the main. So instead of (A) burning off the pinion gear (if the armature bearing was bad, or motor bird nested) or (B) going out there with a new Hyatt box and some air jacks and swapping the axles bearings on sight, or (C) burn off the binders, and lift the loco up with a crane and drop the offending combo out the bottom and then roll an idler set in and taking her back to the shop...they scrap it? If the axle is locked up, did they slide it all the way to Gershows? $30,000 for a combo? Have I got a deal for you!!! Do you guys need a good CMO there? I am ready.

by Legio X

Good riddance....

by Jayjay1213

<<< Do you guys need a good CMO there? I am ready.<<<<

Yes, please help.

I think it was more then just the axle, it had something to do with the traction motor seized or something to that effect. Will have to fine out more later.